john mcg

Its pretty well firmed up now that Toni, Max and I are heading to NH mid-October for 8 or 9 days. We will spend time with family and especially the grand kids. My daughter and her family do live in Amherst so we will be close to some well known cover. I am thinking 4 half days and a full day of hunting weather dependent.

I would love to see and hunt with a few friends that I haven't seen for a while. Looking like we will be in NH from something like the 7th or 8th through the 15th.

Starting to get excited about seeing Max in those October coverts. I was back there for an emergency family visit last October and took Max out, but that day there was 4-6 inches of snow and a stiff wind. In all that snow, we moved several woodcock but no grouse.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• Jazz4Brazo

• jeff88

• WPG Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Max just got his seasonal clipping and as usual we did a lousy job, but it will do. LOL Dump run done and we are just about all packed. Just need to put a cooler together with sammiches and

I love a road trip👍👍👍   We decided to see Pam's dad as the border was opened...crossed over Monday morning at Highgate Springs visited the long term care home in Toronto on Monday and again

Awe hell.....there goes the neighborhood.  Just when you think we were cleaning up the New England upland scene some riff raff boomerang back......   Hit me up and maybe we can shoot some tr

Posted Images

I'll call and book a hotel room for me and the dogs.

What time will you pick me up?

J/K but I would love to take a walk through the New England countryside behind some bird dogs sometime.  Like I've told you it would make me feel like I'm in a poem.

Safe travels and good luck.

john mcg
10 minutes ago, Scar said:

I'll call and book a hotel room for me and the dogs.

What time will you pick me up?

J/K but I would love to take a walk through the New England countryside behind some bird dogs sometime.  Like I've told you it would make me feel like I'm in a poem.

Safe travels and good luck.

LOL

I'll be thinking about you Ryan--perhaps some vicarious New England experience.

Jazz4Brazo

Welcome back..hopefully Steve, Ted, andBilly see this just if not I am sure a quick PM will get you settled.

• 3 weeks later...
john mcg
On 8/10/2021 at 9:44 PM, Jazz4Brazo said:

Welcome back..hopefully Steve, Ted, andBilly see this just if not I am sure a quick PM will get you settled.

Yup--Billy has reached out.

Had a long conversation with my daughter and my sister and we have confirmed our trip. Still gotta nail down the day of departure from here, but looking like the 6th. NH bound in about 5 weeks. We are excited--to say the least.

I can't hardly wait to put Max into some Grouse and Woodcock and walk the woods once again with friends and get caught up.

salmontogue

Great time of year to revisit your old hunting grounds.  Please have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Perk

john mcg
4 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Great time of year to revisit your old hunting grounds.  Please have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Perk

Thank you, sir! Last year had to make an emergency family trip in October and got one day afield. There was 4-6" of snow and blwoing hard, but  Max still enjoyed it. We scared up some poor woodcock out of that snow.

LOL

Hopefully, this year, the weather will be more October like.

WPG Gizmo

John let me know when you're here I'll take a day off 

SelbyLowndes

If you really really want to you can go home again.  Enjoy it!...SelbyLowndes

john mcg
58 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

John let me know when you're here I'll take a day off 

We firmed up plans yesterday. We are departing on October 3rd to arrive in NH at dinner time on the 4th and staying until either the 15th or 16th.

Our motel stop will be either Dublin or Mansfield, OH--which is between 11 and 12 hours rolling time and has worked for us in the past. From there up to Erie, PA and across I90 and through Vermont and NH. This route makes for a more relaxing ride. We have also continued on 90 through the Berkshires once or twice--which is nice, but involves more traffic.

I was just at Souhegan HS last week coaching in a jamboree. NH is having a heavy mast year and with all the water we got this summer we’re thicker in brush than normal. Creeks usually dry by this late in summer are at capacity so think about that as some of my decent wc covers could be under water early October. I hope the weather trend we’re on holds, as after today it looks like we’re not hitting 80 degrees on the longest range forecasts. 

john mcg
38 minutes ago, NH Jay said:

I was just at Souhegan HS last week coaching in a jamboree. NH is having a heavy mast year and with all the water we got this summer we’re thicker in brush than normal. Creeks usually dry by this late in summer are at capacity so think about that as some of my decent wc covers could be under water early October. I hope the weather trend we’re on holds, as after today it looks like we’re not hitting 80 degrees on the longest range forecasts. 

My daughter lives across from the middle school a few houses from our old place....all 4 kids attended Souhegan HS.

Small world.

Your report of water is helpful. A few that I can think of would likely be as you say, but there are others in the uplands.

:-0

My boys are currently in HBHS. Knowing where your base was I am sure we have hunted some common ground. I think you’ll have some great days afield in October. 

Awe hell.....there goes the neighborhood.  Just when you think we were cleaning up the New England upland scene some riff raff boomerang back......

Hit me up and maybe we can shoot some trees together.....

john mcg
16 minutes ago, River19 said:

Awe hell.....there goes the neighborhood.  Just when you think we were cleaning up the New England upland scene some riff raff boomerang back......

Hit me up and maybe we can shoot some trees together.....

A get together is being formulated...I forgot about trees. Not many on the prairie.

LOL