Jzack605

Just got my alpha 100 with tt15. Curious if anyone has any tips or advice. So far pretty intuitive, going to test it with a training session tomorrow motioning.

any holsters you recommend? I like the look of leather. I got one but going to return as it’s bulky and pretty poor quality. 

birds eye card vs onX? I like the onX phone app, but it’s quite a bit more money.

how does stimulus settings compare to garmin sport pro? I mostly have that one dialed in as far as different settings for different applications but the alpha 100 combo obviously has more range. 

john mcg

Hang around your neck with a cord just long enough to place it in a pocket of some sort in the chest area.

Keep the compass calibrated.

AN altrnative is tethering it to your vest--but attach it some way---otherwise you will meet Murphy at some point.

Jzack605

I actually really dislike the tether around neck style. I have my sport set up with a carabiner I hang upside down on a belt loop. Leaning toward same style and maybe option to attach to my vest

The past two years I've used the D-Ring/Caribiener short lanyard and clip it onto my belt or the left strap of my vest. It's a standard Garmin product.

Also have the Pyke Gear holster, but it's not out of the plastic yet - just haven't used the Garmin since the holster arrived.

Cooter Brown

A couple of things.

🐕  Don't hesitate to ask questions here if you get stuck or confused.

🐕  Don't hesitate to call Garmin Customer service at 800-800-1020.  My experience with them has been very good.

🐕  Lock the screen by bumping the ON button (holding it down turns the unit off).  A little lock symbol will appear on the bottom right of the screen.  Tap it.  Reverse procedure to unlock.  Trust me, it'll get screwed up if you don't lock it.

The following two settings are under "Setup", then "Training":

️  Make sure the training training buttons lock is set to "Manual".  I'm pretty sure this is the default.

️ I set "Stimulation" on "Linear".  This is a scale from 1-18.  The other setting is "Traditional", which is Low, Medium, and High, with a scale from 1-6 within each.  I have no idea what the hell advantage that has other than complicating things.

Each of the three physical buttons on the unit can do any of the four functions within each screen, Momentary, Continuous, Vibrate, Tone.  Do you have more than one dog?  Each button can also be designated for a separate dog on the same screen--for example you can lock the screen and page 3 different dogs without unlocking it.  Unlock it and you can go to the separate screen for each dog.  If you have more than one dog you need to play around with the "List Sync Off" and "List Sync On" setting to see which you like best.  You get to that from the Menu button at the bottom of the page with the compass rose and the training buttons on it.

Depending on the dog, I've used everything from 2-5 on the "Linear" scale to get their attention and provide a correction.  Anything over 10 is a pretty good jolt, 18 is the end of the world.

🐕  Remove everything from the Main Menu you don't anticipate using.  It's just clutter.  I don't know what in the world "Waypoint Averaging" is.  I took off at least 2/3 of the items on the Main Menu.

🐕  Use it daily between now and the beginning of the season, even it it's just in the back yard.  You'll spend a lot more time hunting and enjoying the dog if you get things figured out before Boots and Saddles is called.

I know that got a bit in the weeds, but if you use it every day even for just a little bit you'll figure out how to configure it the way you want it--and most importantly how to de-screw it up if it gets hosed because you forgot to lock the screen.

Coveyrise64
2 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

A couple of things.

🐕  Don't hesitate to ask questions here if you get stuck or confused.

🐕  Don't hesitate to call Garmin Customer service at 800-800-1020.  My experience with them has been very good.

🐕  Lock the screen by bumping the ON button (holding it down turns the unit off).  A little lock symbol will appear on the bottom right of the screen.  Trust me, it'll get screwed up if you don't.

The following two settings are under "Setup", then "Training":

️  Make sure the training training buttons lock is set to "Manual".  I'm pretty sure this is the default.

️ I set "Stimulation" on "Linear".  This is a scale from 1-18.  The other setting is "Traditional", which is Low, Medium, and High, with a scale from 1-6 within each.  I have no idea what the hell advantage that has other than complicating things.

️  Each of the three physical buttons on the unit can do any of the four functions within each screen, Momentary, Continuous, Vibrate, Tone.  Do you have more than one dog?  Each button can also be designated for a separate dog on the same screen--for example you can lock the screen and page 3 different dogs without unlocking it.  Unlock it and you can go to the main screen for each dog.  If you have more than one dog you need to play around with the "List Sync Off" and "List Sync On" setting to see which you like best.  You get to that from the Menu button at the bottom of the page with the compass rose and the training buttons on it.

Depending on the dog, I've used everything from 2-5 on the "Linear" scale to get their attention and provide a correction.  Anything over 10 is a pretty good jolt, 18 is the end of the world.

🐕  Remove everything from the Main Menu you don't anticipate using.  It's just clutter.  I don't know what it the world "Waypoint Averaging" is.  I took off at least 2/3 of the items on the Main Menu.

🐕  Use it daily between now and the beginning of the season, even it it's just in the back yard.  You'll spend a lot more time hunting and enjoying the dog if you get things figured out before Boots and saddles is called.

I know that got a bit in the weeds, but if you use it every day even for just a little bit you'll figure out how to configure it the way you want it--and most importantly how to de-screw it up if it gets hosed because you forgot to lock the screen.

1459214357_StimLevelCorrection.JPG.5aa7f59afa77b701ba5791c57b5a9dad.JPG

Stim Level Comparison Chart for Linear and Traditional Modes

Cooter Brown
3 minutes ago, Coveyrise64 said:

I get a headache just looking at that.

Jzack605
6 hours ago, Coveyrise64 said:

Any idea If the garmin sport is on the linear or traditional level?

Rogue Hunter

Take a look at the Gizmo. Short cord and clips to your vest.

Secure the Alpha in your pocket with a lanyard attached and buy a watch !

Jzack605

I’ve heard great things about the watch. Will definitely get one down the line. 

after spending what I did, and what I will be on my boys second round of training, I’ll be taking a hiatus from big spending for the year 😱

Dogmountain

onX on your phone or Garmin chip in your transmitter, those are your choices