**Ontario Canada Ruffed Grouse/Mallard & Black Duck Hunting Partners Wanted**

I'm going to northern Ontario October 3-9 to hunt Ruffs and big ducks. Going alone unless anyone would like to join in an adventure. Staying at a lodge with food, a guide and dogs provided. Might even get in some Walleye fishing if time offers it. 

Guide tells me 10-15 flushes per hour is common with grouse. Lots of grouse! He says big ducks over decoys is good fun also.

Vaccine card for CV19 allows you to travel north of our border now it's open. 

If any of you guys have the desire and time send me a PM for more details. I figure one to three guys from here would be a good crew. 

Brdhntr47

Don’t know where your going but I would be a bit leery of that 10 - 15 flushes per hour number. I haven’t hunted northern Ontario in a number of years but grouse hunting from the camps I was familiar with was done from a four wheeler or out the window of your truck. Grouse were something to occupy time after you got your bear or moose or whatever.

Trips I made were for grouse hunting over my setters and I never saw another real bird hunter in camp. The camp operators didn’t have a clue what the dogs role was in the hunt. I shot grouse but had to find my own way. I hope you have some references from a couple real bird hunters. Good luck.

Again, I’m referring to NORTHERN Ontario.

Mike da Carpenter

Killed a few roughed and spruce grouse with my longbow and wood arrows while on a moose hunt a few years ago.  Man was that ever fun.  I would jump on this in a normal year Bobby, but I’m not so sure about the boarder, especially enough to commit to crossing it this year.  Had to postpone another fly-in fishing trip again this year, so maybe I’m a bit sour.  

Sounds like a great hunt.  That’s pretty much straight up from me.  Wouldn’t be a bad drive at all.  Could stop 1/2 way to see my son in the Soo. Please keep us posted on how you do.

Brad Eden

Topic edited. Please use PM to discuss specific locations and outfitters etc. (Hotspotting Rules) Thank you. I hope a good crew can be put together, sounds like a fun trip. 

I spent the last week in NW Ontario fishing.  It was smoky and hot, over 100 degrees a couple days.  The fish were on fire along with the forest.  The border crossing was a piece of cake.  Just have your clean test within 72 hours of getting to the border.  Make sure you print out your test results.  We had friends who had to turn around and find a printer because they didn't have cell service at the crossing and couldn't pull up the results on their phone.  

2 hours ago, WFC said:

I spent the last week in NW Ontario fishing.  It was smoky and hot, over 100 degrees a couple days.

Most of Ontario remains a hot spot.

Hopefully it cools soon - it is tough to run the dogs.

This "Yank" will be checking it out :D 

Shootin' birds and maybe drinkin' alone B|

• 1 month later...

First day off to good start.

A couple other guys from UPMich showed up who like good Scotch and fine guns so not drinking alone. Haha!

myzoLTy9T9qoRMYKJtRnww.jpg

This is great to see. Would've been fun to join you, but not possible for me anyway. Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep the pics coming.

Jazz4Brazo

Looking forward to your updates!!

Crossed over recently (Highgate Springs Vt and Lewiston NY) and the border was eerily spooky with no cars in sight in either direction...easy peasy in both directions.

Pierre 

Today we shot geese in the AM and grouse afternoon. Success with both. Today I killed five grouse with eight shells. Seeing quite a few birds. Couldn't ask for any nicer weather! 

Two other guys from Michigan came in. Really nice guys who like fine SXS guns and good liquor. I'm not drinking alone and neither are they. Ha!UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7fdb.thumb.jpg.19f5ac2e0316fbf55cbf4bfffb99cc40.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7fcd.thumb.jpg.9ee4692d6f0f7961a66f3a12a27cc1e3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7fd7.thumb.jpg.9d4ead10ec1cb30806271de798637737.jpg

Bloodhound

I am loving this!  Keep us updated...congrats on the success

Fire Marshal Bill

That looks like good cover behind you. Glad you were able to make the trip. 

ESetterSage

The whole place looks like that. Unbelievable...

4 minutes ago, ESetterSage said:

The whole place looks like that. Unbelievable...

Yup. Looks like Canada!