2021 GPS collar Options

While I was gone for the past week, my wife texts me a photo of Gus with the charging cord for the 2 yr old Garmin Sport Pro collar neatly chewed in two.  However, she can't erase Gus's omnipresent halo from the photo, so I know he has been framed.  Her new shepherd pup, Henry (Big Hank to be), did the deed.  

Obviously, we need a new charger unit.  Fine, I will get that, but she suggests that we really need a GPS system.  Who am I to argue with that?  

So I went to Gun Dog Supply and I see only the Garmin Alpha 200i in the Garmin line, but here on the forum I see threads on the Garmin Alpha 100, which apparently uses OnX.  I'm a BIG fan of OnX.  Does that mean I can interface these collars with my phone?  That would be awesome and makes a ton of sense.  Much better to carry one piece of electronics than two.  

But either way, I do not see the Alpha 100 on the Gun Dog Supply website for some reason.  I wonder what is up with that?  

Are there other makers of GPS collars that are good alternatives?  A quick scan of this forum doesn't show much discussion about other makers, suggesting that if GPS is what I want, Garmin is the way to go, either the 100 or the 200i.

In any event, I would love to see any comments and recommendations about the two current Garmin or other systems.  

Dave Quindt
1 hour ago, BrentD said:

But either way, I do not see the Alpha 100 on the Gun Dog Supply website for some reason.  I wonder what is up with that?  

https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-alpha-tt15-mini-combo.html

If you decide to go the 100 route there's a nice used transmitter for sale in the Swap & Trade forum.

IMO Garmin is the only real player in the space; between the build quality, product features and tech support no one else comes close.

To be honest though, most guys would do just fine with the Garmin 550+ and a GPS collar, maybe with a watch for convenience.

JMO,

Dave

Cooter Brown

You must have hit a glitch--the Alpha 100 is on the GDS website, available with one or more collars or by itself.

Here it is with a TT15:

Garmin Alpha 100 with TT15, Gun Dog Supply

I see Dave beat me to it.

I agree with him that the Garmin is Best of Breed.