Pleasant Ridge
On 9/1/2021 at 7:33 AM, troutchops said:

Long time RGS member and always will be. I feel its a cheap buy in price for people that lobby for what I like. However, habitat has been their main selling point over the years. I see lots of cutting going on where I hunt, no shortage of spots. I'm not seeing anymore birds as time goes on, actually less birds. Something else seems to be missing from the equation. 

Agree 100%.. It is the voice we have for lobby!!! You're correct, it is more than habitat, it is predation, wnv and more. However, Habitat is the "easiest key" for RGS or anyone else to turn.. It might be a help if other funded entities got on board to help study the problems...

Chukarman

I don't have a dog in this fight, but perhaps the increase in timber cutting has much more to do with lumber prices?

Generally speaking the money trail if can be followed pretty much sums up decision making most of the time; not all of the time, but.. Not making a political statement or intent to be; just an economical equation. But it sure is nice then the equation and outcomes line up with my personal interest😅

Vermonster
5 hours ago, Chukarman said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but perhaps the increase in timber cutting has much more to do with lumber prices?

I think this is likely somewhat regional. Here in New England the pulp markets stink. Most landowners can't get tickets to sell pulpwood even if they want to, and rates are low.

As you point out, lumber prices are helping improve the sawlog markets--especially softwood sawlogs that become dimensional lumber (studs), so I am seeing a lot of cutting focused on these areas. While this does produce young forest, it does not necessarily produce early successional forest that grouse/woodcock/songbirds prefer--it produces an even-aged stand of young spruce and fir. Not bad, but not the best grouse habitat. Snowshoe hair and Canada lynx will be happy in a few years.

boon hogganbeck
On 9/2/2021 at 2:07 PM, Pleasant Ridge said:

Agree 100%.. It is the voice we have for lobby!!! You're correct, it is more than habitat, it is predation, wnv and more. However, Habitat is the "easiest key" for RGS or anyone else to turn.. It might be a help if other funded entities got on board to help study the problems...

Yeah, I must admit I let my membership lapse because the closest chapter is a ways up the road and seems dormant (not sure how active it was pre-Covid)... I should probably re-up just for the nat'l lobbying, etc.

I believe when lobbying the amount of members, support etc. is what the legislators are counting. Lord knows they don’t want to be voted out!

My contention has always been that Wildlife Bio's and Foresters need to be cross trained at the college level.  I was by adding courses outside the norm and fighting the old home turf stuff between foresters and wildlife folks and it added an entirely new vista to my approach at management for various species.    I also feel we have , academically, created a research oriented graduate that would rather sit in an office and work a computer then get dirty boots out in the field.   It makes perfect sense to me to have foresters in charge of the basics of grouse and woodcock management since they are really both forest birds if you will.  (Yea, I know woodcock are migratory, but where do we find them...forest edges and early successional stages).   You can research a species to death if you try....  Grants for in office research should be replaced by grants for habitat management that demand on site, hands on work.  Sure, I know that some office computer work is needed but lets get some students that like to hunt and respect their chosen  species to do the work instead of some grant seeking bunny huger after an advanced degree who will turn on hunters in an eye blink.

Old guy rant over......  I am now going to join RGS if for nothing else their move to make this all right.  Southernmost Illinois has failed on 3 attempts to re-establish grouse in the Shawnee National Forest.  I know the last attempt was a disaster caused by the type of tracking devices used by the Co-op wildlife unit at Southern Illinois University.

Now its over......

I was the forestry program manager on a large military base. I was the old guy who tried to get in the field every day and get my hands dirty. I had some trouble getting the younger guys in the field. One told me that was “forest technician “ work. Although a broad base education is important I strongly believe in learning by doing and observing results.

I also think the farm kid hunter/fisherman biology student has been replaced by the most part by city kids who “want to work in a zoo”. Maybe this is due to demographic trends of less rural farm populated country.

13 hours ago, Ol'Forester said:

I was the forestry program manager on a large military base. I was the old guy who tried to get in the field every day and get my hands dirty. I had some trouble getting the younger guys in the field. One told me that was “forest technician “ work. Although a broad base education is important I strongly believe in learning by doing and observing results.

I also think the farm kid hunter/fisherman biology student has been replaced by the most part by city kids who “want to work in a zoo”. Maybe this is due to demographic trends of less rural farm populated country.

True, True......  We are too many generations away from the farm.  I could go on for hours about this.