Upland hearing protection

For those of you that wear it while upland hunting:

What are you wearing?  Any new products to recommend?

I'm using Pro Ears Predators Golds for upland and OTTO Noizebarriers for deer and waterfowl.

The OTTO grossly magnify footfalls to the point of insanity, so they're for still hunting only.  The Pro Ears are pretty good, but not perfect.

Anyone have a good recommendation to share?  

Brent

ScenicRoute

Otto is problematic even on lower setting? I can’t do muffs hunting.  Uncomfortable.  Not compatible with a hat. 

Yeah the muffs are not ideal  I wear them over a baseball style hat and they work enough.  The Golds have the best sound management of any I've tried.

Even on low the OTTOs magnify crunching leaves to a point that has be experienced to believe.  A had a friend/co-hunter try them and after 20 or so minutes he handed them back and said "no way."

The search continues.  The nuances of a flushing bird seem beyond the reach of current electronic ear pro.

Snipeaholic
On 8/28/2021 at 7:21 AM, Brent said:

For those of you that wear it while upland hunting:

What are you wearing?  Any new products to recommend?

I'm using Pro Ears Predators Golds for upland and OTTO Noizebarriers for deer and waterfowl.

The OTTO grossly magnify footfalls to the point of insanity, so they're for still hunting only.  The Pro Ears are pretty good, but not perfect.

Anyone have a good recommendation to share?  

Brent

I took the plunge and have the ESP Apex series and have really enjoyed them. They don’t over amplify and block out excess wind noise. I put them in when I get to the club and forget about them being in. It’s nice to converse while shooting without taking foamies in and out. Also they are great in the field while bird hunting because everything can be heard at a normal or amplified volume while still protecting your hearing. 

PM me if you would like more specifics 

Scott

Brad Eden

As illustrated in other Hearing Topics. I use the Dezibulls Percussive Filter plugs whenever hunting. My ears can’t take any more shotgun or rifle shots without some protection. I have two pairs now. One set on a lanyard. They come hard and through a simple hot water process you mold them to your ears. Some people can’t hear anything with them in, which is not the case for me. I can hear most noise like people talking, a flush, deer walking, turkey gobbling, etc., etc.,  but they are designed to muffle firearm blasts. When I shot before without ear protection I would get ringing in the ears. Not any more. I slip them in before or during bird hunting, deer and wild turkey hunting. They are not for repeated gunfire like zeroing or patterning or shooting clays.

Brad Eden

*BTW. Topic edited. I’m not managing disgruntlement over linked past posts. Reminds me too much of Facebook. This is a Discussion Forum and there are no stupid questions.  Linking to past Topics on the same subject is something I do all the time. It acts as additional resource especially if a subject has been covered a lot and a Topic doesn’t gain traction. Stick with the subject at hand please. 

Here are some recent Topics on same found through a Board search not a Google search:

molliesmaster

I just ordered some Tetra's in their upland model.    I really like that they had an online hearing test and would calibrate your set to the test results. 

Time will tell how they work.  I'm just hoping to hear those darn little woodcocks flush a little better this year. 

Jacksdad

I just got the base model ESP's for clays.  Granny in NC is the best for these btw.  

I've found i tend to turn them down when in the cage and back up (sometimes only one ear) while outside the cage.  Problem is you get a lot of distracting noise particularly the other shooting going on.  Not sure how this will translate to upland.  I will give them a shot but in the past have not bothered with hearing protection while hunting.  

Brad, point taken.  Old links are great when shared in a friendly way.  To me this is a topic that easily bears repeating as new products are constant.  

I really appreciate the info above.  The OTTOs are fine as I said, but just can't manage footfalls in the woods.  You can hear incoming waterfowl or a walking deer, but only if you're still.

There are a few recommended above that are new to me.  Thanks for the heads up.

The Tetra Uplands sound promising.  I see they indicate the electronics are calibrated to detect flushing birds.

Audio engineers have indicated in interviews and articles that this is very hard to do.  I am eager to learn more about these.  

Jacksdad

I think the more costly ESP versions (referred to as digital) allow some sort of tuning like that.  

boltonguy

I wear the basic ESP in-ear fitted model. One of the best purchases I have made. They are fitted and so I can wear them all day with no discomfort and they do a great job blocking the loud noises while letting me easily hear discussion and flushes. Would buy them again in an instant.

molliesmaster

My tetra's will be here tomorrow, in time for some dove hunting Saturday.  

I can't speak to the quality of the devices yet but their customer service has been awesome so far.  Very quick response time and very personable.   That goes a long way with me.