With regard to dog tracking using a Garmin hand held does the Fenix offer anything the Instinct does not?

Ended up turning some gift cards into a Garmin Instinct watch. Played with the watch and my Astro 320 around the yard. Seems slick, I think I will like it. 

I've had a Fenix for a long time, a Fenix 3 which is quite old as electronics and wearables go, and functions as new despite heavy wear and hard, daily use.

I love how it works with the Alpha. I imagine newer model of other watches are extremely similarly integrated into the tool. 

chilly460

I've been using my Instinct Solar for a couple weeks now and love it, does everything that I want it to do and more and tracking seems right on.  I will say, and this is nitpicky, that it doesn't switch between my Alpha and 550+ very easily, but in reality that'll be a rare occurrence as I use them mutually exclusively for hunting and training so should be switching very infrequently.  I'm headed out for a week and I'm glad that the battery life is such I don't have to worry about keeping track of the charge cable while I'm on the road.  

DoubleTrouble
14 hours ago, chilly460 said:

I've been using my Instinct Solar for a couple weeks now and love it, does everything that I want it to do and more and tracking seems right on.  I will say, and this is nitpicky, that it doesn't switch between my Alpha and 550+ very easily, but in reality that'll be a rare occurrence as I use them mutually exclusively for hunting and training so should be switching very infrequently.  I'm headed out for a week and I'm glad that the battery life is such I don't have to worry about keeping track of the charge cable while I'm on the road.  

Chilly, what is the expected battery life on the Instinct Solar? 

chilly460

Fully charged it last night and it's showing 45 days remaining.  The nice thing is I can get a quick 5days or so just getting it in an hour or two of sunlight if needed.  I bought a refurb with an Amazon discount, think I was $175 all in.  

I've had both, they both work great. The charging cradle on the Fenix is much better than the "plug into the back and loose the plug cover" on the instinct. The Fenix has more apps and such available for it, but I never used them. The Instinct is a bit smaller and does all I need.

DoubleTrouble
1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

Fully charged it last night and it's showing 45 days remaining.  The nice thing is I can get a quick 5days or so just getting it in an hour or two of sunlight if needed.  I bought a refurb with an Amazon discount, think I was $175 all in.  

Wow! 

flyphish2day

I find the Instinct to do what I needed for hunting and exercising. The battery life is really good, however when it is tracking your activity it does reduce battery life much faster than the listed time.