2021 Great Lakes Grouse Talk & Reports

3 hours ago, Dave Medema said:

All I can tell you is that one of my guys wears a gps watch and records his mileage.  Don’t shoot the messenger. 

53 was a lot of grouse for a winter hunt but our numbers are much higher in Oct and Nov.  no one believes me. Whatever. 

How did the dogs handle the birds? That’s a lot of good contact’s. I’ve never hunted the late season up there, had to be fun.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doodlecrazy

• Ndi32

• RuffChaser

• Steelheadfred

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been out and about, but man do I hate this hot weather.  The dogs are hanging tongue and I have been soaked head to toe from sweat on most outings.  I can't wait to see 50 degrees for a high. 

Had to go on a little road trip this morning to pick up some stuff my wife bought online. Our trip took us through Park Falls, WI. You know the place, Ruffed Grouse Capital etc., which kind of rubbed

Posted Images

I walk fast while hunting…did about 4.8 miles in 95 minutes about 2 weeks ago in SD…was called a liar on another forum…I walk about 3 mph on pavement, but much of that hunt was making time crossing harvested corn fields getting to chunks of cover…

10 hours ago, Quig said:

How did the dogs handle the birds? That’s a lot of good contact’s. I’ve never hunted the late season up there, had to be fun.

we only ran experienced dogs and they did fine. Most birds were under, in, or near pines so shooting was a bigger challenge.  

It seems to me that there is some questioning of Dave on his numbers. I believe him. This year has been exceptional for the guys I hunt with and myself. For what ever reason the bird numbers have been way up, and they have also been concentrated around any area that had greens. 

The road hunters have been complaining about not seeing any birds. The deer hunters that have gone into the woods have been affirming what I already knew. This has been a good year. I believe the drought has had a positive impact on production and chick recruitment.

Unlike Dave, I won't share numbers. You wouldn't believe me anyways.

21 minutes ago, Pudgy gopher said:

It seems to me that there is some questioning of Dave on his numbers. I believe him. This year has been exceptional for the guys I hunt with and myself. For what ever reason the bird numbers have been way up, and they have also been concentrated around any area that had greens. 

The road hunters have been complaining about not seeing any birds. The deer hunters that have gone into the woods have been affirming what I already knew. This has been a good year. I believe the drought has had a positive impact on production and chick recruitment.

Myself, I was not questioning him on his numbers at all.  My comment was more of a sarcastic comment on the shooting ability.  I'd think you wouldn't need to see 50+ grouse to be finished for the day.  Poorly worded response didn't reflect the dry humor I guess.  

28 minutes ago, Pudgy gopher said:

At the end of the day, we don’t know and likely never will, most of the people on a forum. Post don’t post, I seldom worry about what someone on a public forum thinks. He had a good day,  knowing good cover and where it’s at will produce some incredible number.

Peent, humor is hard on a screen sometimes. I’m usually too brief on reply’s.

I was thinking conifers, that can be tough without enough hunters on the ground.

The thing is with grouse, you might get a flush but you don't always see them go. I don't think this year was any better or worse than last year, and last year was a good year for bird numbers. We'll see what we've got for drummers in the spring.