2021 Great Lakes Grouse Talk & Reports

Pinecobleguy

Personally I would like the DNR to push the opener to October 1st and close it Jan 31st.  Young birds still have feathers in sheaths and broods are still together in mid-September.  It's only two weeks but by then they should be fully feathered.  I hate seeing "tail gate" shots of dead grouse that weren't close to being mature enough to scatter or not hop up on a limb and get shot.  Every year, every opening weekend and people feel compelled to show off their prowess as a hunter by killing birds too dumb to know they were in danger. Want to help grouse populations: don't shoot multiple birds out of a brood.  

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doodlecrazy

• Ndi32

• RuffChaser

• Steelheadfred

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been out and about, but man do I hate this hot weather.  The dogs are hanging tongue and I have been soaked head to toe from sweat on most outings.  I can't wait to see 50 degrees for a high. 

Had to go on a little road trip this morning to pick up some stuff my wife bought online. Our trip took us through Park Falls, WI. You know the place, Ruffed Grouse Capital etc., which kind of rubbed

Posted Images

MichiganMan
24 minutes ago, Pinecobleguy said:

Personally I would like the DNR to push the opener to October 1st and close it Jan 31st.  Young birds still have feathers in sheaths and broods are still together in mid-September.  It's only two weeks but by then they should be fully feathered.  I hate seeing "tail gate" shots of dead grouse that weren't close to being mature enough to scatter or not hop up on a limb and get shot.  Every year, every opening weekend and people feel compelled to show off their prowess as a hunter by killing birds too dumb to know they were in danger. Want to help grouse populations: don't shoot multiple birds out of a brood.  

I would certainly agree with your sentiment about mowing down broods. I also would be in favor of moving the season start to 10-1. However I don't agree with a season extension to 1-31. I think extending the late season an extra month would do a lot more to hurt the winter carryover than shooting multiple young birds.

uplandnut30

Bird numbers are down slightly but the drought will open up flooded trails and covers that only get hunted once every 5 years or so.  I think it’ll be a good year.

troutchops

I agree with what others have said, long term numbers are down. Lots of cutting and new habitat coming into age, so I don't think that's it. I hunt during the week to stay away from the weekend warriors. I don't see a lot of other people out bird hunting during the week, so I don't think hunter pressure is an issue. Hopefully someone smarter than I can figure out how we can rebound them. 

Pinecobleguy
1 hour ago, MichiganMan said:

I would certainly agree with your sentiment about mowing down broods. I also would be in favor of moving the season start to 10-1. However I don't agree with a season extension to 1-31. I think extending the late season an extra month would do a lot more to hurt the winter carryover than shooting multiple young birds.

I have thought about the effect on winter carry over but by then I'm not sure how many hunters would actually hunt that late and the DNR could make it a 2-bird limit. And no non-resident licenses for that period.  How about this:  keep the season open until the 15th?

WisconsinDave
20 minutes ago, Pinecobleguy said:

I have thought about the effect on winter carry over but by then I'm not sure how many hunters would actually hunt that late and the DNR could make it a 2-bird limit. And no non-resident licenses for that period.  How about this:  keep the season open until the 15th?

I wish Wisconsin do something like this.

Steelheadfred

The better answer in Michigan is to open September 22/23 area,  birds are a week older which is a lot and some years are shuffling by then. 

Then open back up Friday after Thanksgiving.  Close January 1st.

December hunting is extremely challenging, let alone January. 

4 hours ago, Pinecobleguy said:

Personally I would like the DNR to make it illegal to grouse hunt if you buy a deer tag.  It would take care of most of the sometime road swatters and guys who only kill grouse while putting up deer stands.  That's about 90% of the grouse hunters I've ever bumped into when not at a ruffed grouse, pheasants forever or double gun shoot.

******This is what my sarcasm sounds like**************

In reality I don't think a lot of grouse are killed on the opener.  Most of the serious guys I know might make a half hearted loop because of the heat just to run the dogs, and most of the road hunters lay off because of the cover.  Late season is even more sparsely hunted.  There aren't a ton of out of shape old guys humping cover with a foot of snow on the ground.  The lions share of grouse are killed right in the heart of the season.  People are willing to give up the fringes because it isn't their ox being gored.  As grouse hunters we ought to think long and hard about weeding out grouse hunters with laws that are not changing anything.  Between myself and the people I brought with me I used to spend a few thousand dollars a year chasing January grouse in Wisconsin.  I was killing 5% of what I took the rest of the year.  When they took away January grouse hunting in Wisconsin, I just moved my fun elsewhere (South Dakota who opened up a pheasant hunt in January last year).  They can have the license fees, the hotel and gas, the money I spent on local conservation etc.  

I would agree with closing the grouse season during the regular deer firearm season. It's my understanding that regulation has been the norm in other regions of the country and it should be the case here.

I'm neither in support of limiting the early season or extended it beyond Jan 1st (just talking my home state). I would rather see the daily limited decreased to 3 birds and more importantly the possession limit decreased. For that matter the best solution would be to have "tags" and implement total season bag limits. At some point there is, or should be, a sportsmanship aspect here...how many birds, which are a public resource, does one hunter get to shoot before it's considered being a game hog. The northern crowd would go nuts over such a thought and I can hear the wildlife biologist pounding dirt saying harvest totals don't matter. BS!! This isn't 50 or 100 years ago with strong population density. And if they can't accept that then there should be consideration about leaving a few birds for another hunter or another day in the woods. It's perfectly OK to let a few pointed birds fly and say I'll be looking for ya next time.

I get it, I'm an older hunter and pulling the trigger is not the only reason I'm out there. But there has gotta be birds or none of this matters.

I could go on but after more than 40 years it's long ago become clear nothing is going to change. It would take state wildlife leaders and conservation organizations with a new understanding that times have changed enough that outdated regulations need to be realigned with the current and future realities. I don't see even a remote hint from the rank and file about such ideas. 

Older hunter dream world over ... please continue on with the thread ...

Steelheadfred
4 hours ago, Hub said:

Personally I would like the DNR to make it illegal to grouse hunt if you buy a deer tag.  It would take care of most of the sometime road swatters and guys who only kill grouse while putting up deer stands.  That's about 90% of the grouse hunters I've ever bumped into when not at a ruffed grouse, pheasants forever or double gun shoot.

******This is what my sarcasm sounds like**************

In reality I don't think a lot of grouse are killed on the opener.  Most of the serious guys I know might make a half hearted loop because of the heat just to run the dogs, and most of the road hunters lay off because of the cover.  Late season is even more sparsely hunted.  There aren't a ton of out of shape old guys humping cover with a foot of snow on the ground.  The lions share of grouse are killed right in the heart of the season.  People are willing to give up the fringes because it isn't their ox being gored.  As grouse hunters we ought to think long and hard about weeding out grouse hunters with laws that are not changing anything.  Between myself and the people I brought with me I used to spend a few thousand dollars a year chasing January grouse in Wisconsin.  I was killing 5% of what I took the rest of the year.  When they took away January grouse hunting in Wisconsin, I just moved my fun elsewhere (South Dakota who opened up a pheasant hunt in January last year).  They can have the license fees, the hotel and gas, the money I spent on local conservation etc.  

Spot on. 

Steelheadfred
42 minutes ago, MDash2 said:

I would agree with closing the grouse season during the regular deer firearm season. It's my understanding that regulation has been the norm in other regions of the country and it should be the case here.

I'm neither in support of limiting the early season or extended it beyond Jan 1st (just talking my home state). I would rather see the daily limited decreased to 3 birds and more importantly the possession limit decreased. For that matter the best solution would be to have "tags" and implement total season bag limits. At some point there is, or should be, a sportsmanship aspect here...how many birds, which are a public resource, does one hunter get to shoot before it's considered being a game hog. The northern crowd would go nuts over such a thought and I can hear the wildlife biologist pounding dirt saying harvest totals don't matter. BS!! This isn't 50 or 100 years ago with strong population density. And if they can't accept that then there should be consideration about leaving a few birds for another hunter or another day in the woods. It's perfectly OK to let a few pointed birds fly and say I'll be looking for ya next time.

I get it, I'm an older hunter and pulling the trigger is not the only reason I'm out there. But there has gotta be birds or none of this matters.

I could go on but after more than 40 years it's long ago become clear nothing is going to change. It would take state wildlife leaders and conservation organizations with a new understanding that times have changed enough that outdated regulations need to be align with the current and future realities. I don't see even a remote hint from the rank and file about such ideas. 

Older hunter dream world over ... please continue on with the thread 

11 hours ago, Ndi32 said:

Not at all up to speed on the West Nile science but was very dry & warm in N MN this season.  As Fred mentioned hopefully this contributed to nesting success and barring any unusual rain events in the next few weeks it should make some historically wet areas much easier to access.  Hope it mitigates the early season bug annoyances too...

With mosquitoes & WNV I think what matters most is whether iit's a wet August or not.  

10 hours ago, MDash2 said:

I could go on but after more than 40 years it's long ago become clear nothing is going to change. It would take state wildlife leaders and conservation organizations with a new understanding that times have changed enough that outdated regulations need to be align with the current and future realities. I don't see even a remote hint from the rank and file about such ideas. 

Older hunter dream world over ... please continue on with the thread ...

Sounds like common sense to me....grouse are a resource.

mister grouse

BY-Kill is the fisheries management  term that is arguably is applicable to  birds killed by people who are not really bird hunters/bird hunting. Deer hunters, ATV /UTV road hunters etc

Pinecobleguy
1 hour ago, john mcg said:

Sounds like common sense to me....grouse are a resource.

Grouse season in MI is closed during firearms deer season (Nov 15-30).  Grouse season in Michigan runs from Sept 15-Nov 14 and December 1 through Jan 1, that's 91 days to hunt grouse in Michigan.  That sounds like a long time but for those of us who don't live near grouse cover it's not that much time.  The first two weeks are too hot and too green and the week of Christmas is usually out.