2021 Great Lakes Grouse Talk & Reports

RuffChaser
On 10/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, Pomoxis said:

National Hunt this week around these parts. Rain and 20 mph winds in the forecast. Bummer....

That seems sincere.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doodlecrazy

• Ndi32

• RuffChaser

• Steelheadfred

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been out and about, but man do I hate this hot weather.  The dogs are hanging tongue and I have been soaked head to toe from sweat on most outings.  I can't wait to see 50 degrees for a high. 

Had to go on a little road trip this morning to pick up some stuff my wife bought online. Our trip took us through Park Falls, WI. You know the place, Ruffed Grouse Capital etc., which kind of rubbed

Posted Images

On 10/8/2021 at 7:48 AM, caleb said:

The ticks are back this week in a big way.

Wow you were not kidding. Took the setter for a short hunt and she was just covered with the SOBs. 

Working mornings from the cabin the next several days and taking the afternoons off to hunt.  Rain getting in the way today but did make it out for an hour or so.  Five birds flushed and one taken.   As others recently noted the scenting conditions are much improved since I was last out.....

Blew my knee out yesterday, can't bear any weight. Torn meniscus for sure, possible acl tear. MRI on Friday and then surgery, then recovery. My season is over and Im beyond depressed. I haven't broke the news to my pointer Junebug yet. 

doodlecrazy
21 minutes ago, Pomoxis said:

Blew my knee out yesterday, can't bear any weight. Torn meniscus for sure, possible acl tear. MRI on Friday and then surgery, then recovery. My season is over and Im beyond depressed. I haven't broke the news to my pointer Junebug yet. 

Sorry to hear Dan. That sucks!

On 9/1/2021 at 8:51 AM, Pinecobleguy said:

Grouse season in MI is closed during firearms deer season (Nov 15-30).  Grouse season in Michigan runs from Sept 15-Nov 14 and December 1 through Jan 1, that's 91 days to hunt grouse in Michigan.  That sounds like a long time but for those of us who don't live near grouse cover it's not that much time.  The first two weeks are too hot and too green and the week of Christmas is usually out.

And Often much of the late season, at least in the northern reaches of the state, too cold and inundated with snow. Hunting on snow shoes is tough. I use to do it as a young man in peak condition and It's draining at the least. Hunting a dog when there's 2 ft of snow on level ground is impractical at best. In short order the dog winds up following you so as to be able to walk in your tracks or try hitching a ride on the back side of your snowshoes. (I admit it is sort of cool when a snow roosted Pat comes busting out from under a bunch of dry powder)

P.S. Are you allowed out after birds during the 3 "Quiet Days" before the opener?

Some of you guys are shooting well, a season total for me in one picture!

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, Pomoxis said:

That sucks. Sorry man.

bennelli-banger

So sorry….have had some crap happen as well on my last trip…trying to move forward…some out of my control, some in my control, but the two events were connected…my dogs and I are healthy, I’m going to just move ahead, leaving for SD Friday…have hunted 17 days on the high plains thus far, many more to come, I’m looking at the positives…

4 hours ago, Pomoxis said:

Bummer

16 hours ago, caleb said:

Flight birds are moving in.

Western end if the Yoop we are getting flights in. I got into about 20 woodcock in an 40 acre area the other day. We had fun. 

BBE55C01-26FF-44DA-B9AE-97F96AB73A25.jpeg

One of my High Line covers

High%20Line%20Cover-600x450.jpg

The only Ruff in said High Line cover that did not pre-game a good escape route

High%20Line%20Grouse-600x450.jpg

Been flushing grouse at a decent rate the last couple afternoons but bad timing with work and rain have limited my time on the ground. Lots of birds are relating to the conifers in the wet conditions hurting the shooting op's.  Not seeing the Woodcock numbers others are reporting but don't really target them....

@Ndi32 nice to see an 1100 in the grouse woods...brings back memories from seasons long ago. 

I also have not seen woodcock...actually none of them...but more focused on grouse so not covering primary woodcock habitat which I suspect is necessary this season with the dry conditions. 

Gundogger
On 10/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, Dave Medema said:

I hesitate to post but will just to toss out some encouragement.  Yes it's been hot and recently wet but there are plenty of birds around my haunts.  Grouse are just starting to disperse as I'm seeing fewer coveys outside of food sources.  Biggest day so far has been over 70 grouse moved.  I don't target WC but have been seeing some flight birds around last weekend.  I had 22 pointed WC on a 30 minute walk at dusk.  

Are you sure you didn’t have a near death experience and were hunting on the other side of the “Pearly Gates”?