Chew’s for teeth cleaning

My four year old setter seems to build plaque on her teeth, more than my other dogs.

I give her Greenies, milk bones etc., she has a lot of of rubber toys too. Has anyone found something that works for them?

SetterTime

Give Yak cheese a try. My dogs love them and it seems to keep their teeth clean. 

I typically buy EcoKind Yak Cheese Dog Chews from Amazon. 

Woodcock_chaser

I buy marrow bones in the grocery store that are cut to 2 to 3 inch thickness and have had no problems with my setters . I asked my vet what i should do and she said don't change what you are doing. The marrow bones work better than anything you can buy. Freeze the ones you aren't using and one good marrow bone cut up by the pitcher last a good 4 to 6 weeks. 

I posted this in another topic, but no reason why it shouldn't work... 🤮

image.thumb.png.e3ac52f073782b015504ce027d2e2780.png

1 hour ago, Urban_Redneck said:

Raw chicken backs.

I know I've heard it doesn't pose a problem, but no issues with the bones if they're not cooked, correct?

Urban_Redneck
1 hour ago, snood said:

I know I've heard it doesn't pose a problem, but no issues with the bones if they're not cooked, correct?

Raw chicken bones pose no problem for dogs. Cooked bones splinter they are a danger.

From what I've read up on it's the cooked leg and wing bones, specifically, that splinter and are the issue. Everyday I give my dogs frozen chicken feet to chew up and eat and occasionally they get chicken backs too.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, BrentD said:

One raw, whole rabbit a day keeps the dentist away.  

wife said ixnay.

38 minutes ago, frak said:

wife said ixnay.

My wife says it's the only way.

This dog is 12 yr, 2 mo, 2 d old today, and his teeth have never been cleaned, never seen a toothbrush, never eaten kibble.  They would be just about impossible to improve upon.

20210908_191037.jpg

19 hours ago, BrentD said:

My wife says it's the only way.

This dog is 12 yr, 2 mo, 2 d old today, and his teeth have never been cleaned, never seen a toothbrush, never eaten kibble.  They would be just about impossible to improve upon.

20210908_191037.jpg

How are the molars, that’s my dogs issue,

3 minutes ago, Quig said:

How are the molars, that’s my dogs issue,

Great, but they don't photograph easily.  Giving up kibble for good was a game changer.  We did that 25 yrs ago and never looked back.

Cooter Brown

Some dogs just end up with bad teeth.  The best thing to do is to brush regularly.  It's a PIA and it's a lot easier to just give them something to chew but pretty much every vet I've talked to thinks "chews" are a great gimmick.

• 3 weeks later...
munsterlander
On 9/1/2021 at 6:36 PM, BrentD said:

One raw, whole rabbit a day keeps the dentist away.  

Do you raise them?  Or where do you obtain the rabbits?