E-Scouting Maine

Ken E Bago
On 8/30/2021 at 8:12 PM, E.Young said:

Great advice, thanks, Brad! I'd read somewhere, sometime ago, that a CB is helpful because the truck drivers will call out their milepost on Ch.16 so you'll have a heads up (and maybe also be able to reach someone if in trouble). 

The only places that you're likely to run into any logging trucks in the fall are on the Morton cut-off Rd and  Lincoln Pond Rd.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are actually considering a CB radio for Northern Maine use for hunting in NMW, you should rethink that, to getting a MURS radio as that is what the loggers use so you can keep track of where the logging trucks are and you can still use it for local chatter....and the area is already set up with repeaters so you can get some distance...

A Maine atlas and Gazeteer is handier to have than that Onyx stuff

In concert with the gazetteer I recommend an offline Topo map app for your phone or iPad you can download the maps in huge grids beforehand and then use them without cell service and have detailed sat maps that show your location and you can make notes on the maps, it has both helped with not getting lost as well as remembering where you have been, the detail is great 

Try hunting the snowmobile trails, most are well marked. Quite numerous up in that area.

If you really want to be slick, you can download the Avenza Maps app and buy the Maine Gazeteer as georeferenced PDFs. Then you can use it with your phone GPS and be on the map in real time. 

If heading way north…The vast majority of paper company holdings/lands in northern Maine are humongous monotonous areas. They aren’t typical New England bird covers depicted in paintings and grouse literature. Chasing clear cuts of various ages via maps, high tech or paper is sort of unnecessary in my opinion. Just get up there and start driving the secondary logging roads, and park at the end of grown over logging roads and twitch trails. And walk them.  I am heading north on the Monday or Tuesday after this Saturdays Opener with a friend or two. (Was gonna head to camp but it may be rained out) We have a series of logging roads we head to every year. They are road hunters, I drive along but will be let out at sides trails with the dog if he is on board etc., etc. We typically all go home with a limit of 4 grouse apiece. Phone digital maps are never employed and we will open a Gazateer if we venture into new areas. Pay attention because you can get turned around and it can take a long drive to find your way back to a main logging artery. There often is no cell coverage in the north woods so be prepared.

Mike Connally

I’ve hunted Maine exactly three times. The first time was out of Jackman. We asked at the local Ranger station about where to hunt. The lady at the desk looked surprised and said “Just find any two track north of town and start walking”. She was right. A great trip. 
Another trip was out of Libby Camps. We didn’t use a guide but we had mapped out likely areas from Google Earth. We did great. Probably better than the hunters using guides. 
The last trip was near the coast. We had a local guide show us a bunch of spots. We shot very few birds. The best spot was one we found ourselves. 
I think with a little research and a day of scouting you can do fairly well. 

166196D5-3D70-46A8-953A-52BED3E6ED3F.jpeg

3D179998-F51F-4A02-9ACE-4AF706770C21.jpeg

IMO the benefit of sat imagery is time and boot leather savings, when you come across an undrivable road you can see if it heads up into open ridge or looks more promising, or if there is a beaver flowage across a drivable road a mile or so up, ect, I agree that nothing beats actual boots on the ground but recent sat imagery is a real help if you know how to read it, and the log/notes function at least to me is invaluable as I have hunted the same general area albeit very large for so long, it’s a constant game of hunting old covers that have aged out and finding new ones, so it’s great to know what you have checked out and what you have not