Garmin Sport Pro Dog E-Collar

My old Tritronics G3 Upland collar batteries have finally gotten to the point where they won't hold a charge for more then a few hours.  Sadly a few years ago Garmin decided to no longer offer the battery as a sealed unit.  While there are ways to take apart the battery unit and replace the batteries I'm thinking it might be time to purchase a replacement.  G3 was super and I'm used to it.  Looking at what's out there I'm thinking the Garmin Sport Pro Dog bundle might be the way to go as its operation is similar to the G3 unit.   While it has more features then I need, the bottom line is it has both a tone and a vibrate button and will allow up to 3 dogs (I have 2).   Both Sophie and my old Golden never require stimulation and for recall the vibrate makes them come right to me.   Thoughts?   

PS.  I still will use my Pro 550 Plus for hunting, but sometimes when I just do a neighborhood walk etc, its a lot easier to slap on a standard e-collar versus breaking out the big unit.

2 Ugly Dogs

I use my sport pro daily for around the house and walks around the neighborhood. Super easy to use and absolutely no issues. Have had it for 3 years, 2 dog unit. 

3 hours ago, DonT said:

Magnum Telemetry and Lake city Feed Will rebuild the g3 batteries. 

Curious what they charge and is whether that is with Lithium type battery.   PS.  Been a great unit.  Was a shame with Tritronics decided to no longer support it. 

Mike Connally

Take it to your local Batteries Plus shop. They can rebuild it for you. 

I use the Sport Pro for daily walks occassionally and all my hunting.  It's great,  but I'm thinking of graduating to a GPS.

I forgot to add that the Vibe function seems a little mild on the Sport Pro collar compared to my old Dogtra and my golden will sometimes not notice it or blows it off, not sure which.

3 hours ago, tut said:

Curious what they charge and is whether that is with Lithium type battery.   PS.  Been a great unit.  Was a shame with Tritronics decided to no longer support it. 

Around $35 for a new battery, they will work like new.   Tri Tritronics was bought by Garmin, Garmin barely supports their new stuff not surprised that they don't support 20 year old Tri Tronics gear. 

I and a Pro Trainer friend like the TT Pro 100 and keep them running.  I would buy your collars if they are G3's and you don't need them.  

On 9/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, DonT said:

Around $35 for a new battery, they will work like new.   Tri Tritronics was bought by Garmin, Garmin barely supports their new stuff not surprised that they don't support 20 year old Tri Tronics gear. 

I and a Pro Trainer friend like the TT Pro 100 and keep them running.  I would buy your collars if they are G3's and you don't need them.  

I've got  rebuilt one coming.  If they work well I'll hang onto the unit.  If not I'll scrap the whole thing and sell my collars.