New Garmin Alpha 10 Handheld Track and Train

39 minutes ago, munsterlander said:

Is it easy to do a “no-look” correction and change of correction level like the 550 and Sport Pro?  Or do you have go to a menu?

You have to make sure that the correct dog is selected for correction.  To change correction level, there is a menu.  It is not as simple as turning a dial to a higher setting if that is what you are asking.

58 minutes ago, munsterlander said:

Is it easy to do a “no-look” correction and change of correction level like the 550 and Sport Pro?  Or do you have go to a menu?

One dog is super easy, you have three buttons across the top that can be set to Tone, Vibrate, Shock, as you wish, but to switch dogs, you have to fiddle with the touch screen, which becomes complicated if you're wearing gloves and/or lock the screen (I have inadvertently changed a bunch of settings when not locked).  

Changing correction level also requires unlocking the screen and using the touch screen to do it. No-look corrections on one dog is simple, but to change the level, switch dogs, etc., it is not at all no-look. I miss the dial adjustment on my old Garmin quite a bit. 

I'd LOVE an update that let me have two buttons at the top give a tone to two different dogs. Left for Dog 1 Tone, right for Dog 2 Tone, center as shock for whichever dog is selected, something like that. That's the dream update, but a bit niche I'm sure.

But, I almost never need shock or vibrate. I am also a bit unclear on the 2020 or 2019 update that added in the LOW-MED-HIGH slider on top of the numerical shock setting, but again, I am almost exclusively tone-only, so no big deal. 

munsterlander

I created some confusion, I think, with previous post.  The discussion got switched from the new Alpha 10, to the Alpha 100/200.

So does anyone know if the new Alpha 10 is easy to do a "no-look" correction, tone, vibrate for one dog without having to go into a menu?  What about changing level of correction, does that require going into menu?

Thanks. 

munsterlander

I created some confusion, I think, with previous post.  The discussion got switched from the new Alpha 10, to the Alpha 100/200.

So does anyone know if the new Alpha 10 is easy to do a "no-look" correction, tone, vibrate for one dog without having to go into a menu?  What about changing level of correction, does that require going into menu?

..... so I just ready the owner's manual at the Gun Dog Supply site.  It appears that the only button for a correction is the flush button on the left side, right next to the power button.  So it appears that you'd have to select in the menu ahead of time the dog you want to communicate to, the correction/vibrate/tone, and the stimulation level, then you could just press the button and hope you didn't hit the power button and turn the thing off.

If my interpretation of the operation manual is correct, then this device doesn't appeal to me.  

But if anyone knows different, I'd love to hear about it.  I like the size ,and tracking ability, and screen, and range.  But the operation doesn't sound easy to me.  For me the thing I want to be able to do quickly and virtually without looking, is correction, and select tone or shock, and change the stimulation level. 

22 hours ago, E.Young said:

I'd LOVE an update that let me have two buttons at the top give a tone to two different dogs. Left for Dog 1 Tone, right for Dog 2 Tone, center as shock for whichever dog is selected, something like that. That's the dream update, but a bit niche I'm sure.

But, I almost never need shock or vibrate. I am also a bit unclear on the 2020 or 2019 update that added in the LOW-MED-HIGH slider on top of the numerical shock setting, but again, I am almost exclusively tone-only, so no big deal. 

If you have the alpha 100 you have that capability. That's exactly what I do for my two dogs. The hardhead has the juice button assigned to him.

1 hour ago, snood said:

If you have the alpha 100 you have that capability. That's exactly what I do for my two dogs. The hardhead has the juice button assigned to him.

Yes--its very easy to assign a button to a second dog and using it requires no screen changes--only hitting the respective buttons. I use an Alpha 100 and 2 TT15s.

Piece-a-cake

I disagree that the Alpha 100 is great for training capabilities while running multiple dogs at once. It's not horrible, I've been doing it myself for years,  but it's far from ideal or as easy to operate (for multiple dogs) as conventional training-only collars. In fact one of the biggest improvements with the Alpha 200 is the ability to more easily switch between dogs for training buttons. If you only ever run one dog at a time, the 100 training functions would be fine.

On the 100 there are only 3 buttons, so anything beyond 3 functions requires a touchscreen change which is obviously not always quick or easy in real-world hunting conditions.  I, like many guys, use the tone function regularly as well as wanting at least one (more would be better) shock level available quickly for each dog. If you run two dogs at once that's a minimum 4 functions you want, quickly, and with the Alpha you only get 3.  Yes, you can make it work, but it's not ideal and for most people running multiple dogs it will require touchscreen changes on a fairly regular basis. Having the desired training capability in a hand held unit is not rocket science, multi-dog (non tracking) training setups have had a way to quickly switch between dogs and vary the intensity level and/or tone/vibrate for multiple dogs for years.

Overall I like my Alpha 100, but this aspect is something Garmin got wrong and could be easily remedied by simply adding a rocker switch to change between dogs, which is exactly what they did on the 200.

It appears the Alpha 10 only has one button, but I can't tell if there is a switch to change between dogs or if you must use the touchscreen. The 10 is a lower cost more basic unit so I guess Garmin should be cut some slack if it's not setup in an ideal way for training multiple dogs but having just a couple more buttons or switches seems like such a simple/cheap thing to add. The 10 is still not "inexpensive".