Floyd and I had a decent opener on a small sunflower field on the 4th.  Sorry no photos of birds, guns and dog.  Fortunately I didn't take one of the MuttPak for retrieving because of heat or she would have probably been killed.  As it was, Floyd rode an ambulance to the hospital 40 miles away and I had the 2016 4Runner flatbedded to my house rather than have it towed at the start of Labor Day Weekend Saturday night to Bubba's Bait, Tackle and Salvage Yard in Okatie, SC  where my truck would have been looted.  Our SKB 20's, doves, and other gear were inside the truck.  At highway speeds, a pick-up coming towards us at highway speed, lost control of a trailer which popped off the hitch unloading a concrete mixer into our lane.  Eyewitness accounts said the mixer hit us, sending us airborne, spinning and rolling several times, scattering a few of our doves on the highway.  We were lucky to survive and not end up in water on both sides of the narrow blacktop where other car crash victims have drowned.  George, give your 4Runner a pat on the hood.  They are one tough trucks.  Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young".   Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries.  I had inside the truck an 85 lb. portable Warn 8500 for front and back hitches and power sources  behind the second row seats which I had lashed down to the back seat with half-inch rope to prevent it from acting as shrapnel in a wreck.  Good thing I did as the inside of the truck looked like a tossed salad.   Passenger side of truck not quite as beat up as driver's side, but still in bad shape.
 The guns were on the floorboard behind the front seats.  Gil

PXL_20210904_224019359 (1).jpg

PXL_20210905_121757809.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GLS

• Jacksdad

• GANGGREEN

• BrentD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In keeping with my late 4Runners wishes, I re-4Runnered today.  I found a 2022 TRD Off Road at a dealership in Charleston, SC.  They are scarce.  Gil  

But it may be the best time in history to NOT have to find an open bed in an ICU somewhere.   

That's true as to a used vehicle.  However, my 4Runner has increased in value.   Insurance proceeds, regardless if paid by collision, third party liability or uninsured or underinsured coverage will g

Posted Images

Cooter Brown

That was a hell of a ride!  Damned good thing you had the heavy stuff battened down--I suspect not enough people consider that.  Glad the dogs sat this one out at home.

If you haven't, you should get yourself checked out by a doc.  That's a lot of violent slamming around for a body to take.

Thanks,folks.  CB  I have heard of too many accounts were tool boxes, etc, have killed drivers and passengers in violent wrecks.   My left triceps got a little scraped from the air bag, but other than that, I don't think I have drain bamage.  Gil

Cooter Brown
13 minutes ago, GLS said:

I don't think I have drain bamage.  Gil

That's what they all said about me!!!

WPG Gizmo

Heck that will buff out.

In the blink of an eye life can change there were angels riding shotgun with you that day.

Brad Eden

Just wow. What a tale to tell. And it’s good you are able to! Toyota Strong.

Brdhntr47

Glad to hear you are OK. You may have used up you’re good luck for awhile.

UplandHntr

Yikes thats a full day! Glad it wasnt more serious

Bird Buster

Wow so sorry to hear this but glad you guys survived this. God is good to us. 

Snipeaholic

Wow! Glad the vehicle took the punishment and y'all didn’t. Be well.

My dad' HS buddy was left cognitively impaired from a bowling bowl that flew from the back seat of the car into the back of his head during a car accident. 

After hearing the story I then realized why Pop's always had everything tied down and secured one way or the other inside the car or on a trailer; like double and triple tied down. I do the same.

Wow… the impact of the cement mixer must have been insane. The fact you walked away from that is miracle level stuff. And you left the dogs at home! Hope you can find a rig to replace it.