Odd breeds you met

Dakota Dogman

There are a ton of great labs and pointers on here. Love to see the springers and setters. 

But how about a photo thread of some odd breeds? 

For instance, this weekend I met my 1st German Long Haired Pointer. Sweet dog, great personality. 

Big boy, who was much prettier than his photos show. 

God bless,

IMG_20210905_092536040_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210905_101234978_HDR.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• airmedic1

• quailguy

• Spin1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had a French setter for the day at our house today.     Bentley our youngest English Setter was dressed in a neckerchief and beret for Addison’s birthday. She’s going into eighth

Tag my Braque Francais.  Not sure she's an odd breed necessarily.  But she acts odd now and then.

There are a ton of great labs and pointers on here. Love to see the springers and setters.    But how about a photo thread of some odd breeds?    For instance, this weekend I met m

Posted Images

Rick Hall

Looks like one of Brad's "woods ponies" played hooky on cropping day. 

RuffChaser

We had a French setter for the day at our house today.

8FBB91BD-BB4B-456F-804F-733E9FF4E51B.thumb.jpeg.e54676fb317cbc8e53131ec27c077639.jpeg

Bentley our youngest English Setter was dressed in a neckerchief and beret for Addison’s birthday. She’s going into eighth grade and is taking French as an elective so we had a French themed birthday for her today (she’s 14 today).

The French wish they had a breed this good looking.

Tag my Braque Francais.  Not sure she's an odd breed necessarily.  But she acts odd now and then.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_134f.jpg

I have a Deutsch Langhaar. In the twin cities I’ve seen a Bracco Italiano and a red and white setter.  They were both really cool looking dogs. 

Judged some poodles in HRC that also worked for the owner guiding for quail.

boon hogganbeck

Some years ago, a (non-hunting) friend of mine had a French spaniel.  Not a Brit or a braque, but a French spaniel, which I believe is a NAVDHA breed. Probably the most beautiful dog I've ever seen.  It looked like a tall, leggy setter (that's what I thought it was at first), with feathery ears and tail and a rich brown-and-white coat. Big male, 60 lbs or so. Actually, it was his fiancee's dog, he was watching it while she was working at a law firm in the city, and the dog had cost her $$$ if I remember correctly. Stunning animal. People would stop him during walks and say, "Is there a dog show in town?"

Dog was like a supermodel with an IQ of 65. 

It would eat seemingly anything. Shoes, books, brooms, rotten shellfish on the beach, etc. At one point, it got onto the counter (did I mention it was tall?) and downed a box of laxatives. My friend frantically called the vet, who said, "Put the dog in the bathtub & just ride it out."  The dwelling was never quite the same after that. At least he didn't have to call his fiancee & explain the death of the $$$ dog.

I haven't talked to him in awhile, I should check in & see what came of the spaniel.  The guy has gone onto become an award-winning screenwriter who has done a lot of work for HBO.  

Despite the craziness, I kind of wanted to take the dog hunting. Maybe it just had too much nervous energy in the apartment.

Edited by boon hogganbeck
PartridgeCartridge
3 hours ago, DTB said:

I met Cooter Brown.

That's a breed unto itself. Very rare. They chew tobacco and point at the same time.

4 hours ago, Spin1 said:

Do you consider our Spinoni an odd breed?

Yes, but just barely!  One of the families in our Gordon club owns ES and Spinonis, others from time to time, so I've seen several of them and judged one at a hunt test.  I'd bet they confuse hunters who've never seen one, though.

airmedic1

Here’s a couple pics of one of our Welsh Springer Spaniels, they are rare.  Not sure anyone has field bred Welshies which is a shame, they are good retrievers but slow to develop.  Callies is three in this pic retrieving a still alive rooster and another of her  sitting on the tail gate.97E530EC-BDF4-4D9B-B872-046CFAD01AB8.thumb.jpeg.8a9ca0207d5812a891a6d2fc65111ed4.jpeg

airmedic1

Here’s a couple pics of one of our Welsh Springer Spaniels, they are rare.  Not sure anyone has field bred Welshies which is a shame, they are good retrievers but slow to develop.  Callies is three in this pic retrieving a still alive rooster and another of her  sitting on the tail gate.97E530EC-BDF4-4D9B-B872-046CFAD01AB8.thumb.jpeg.8a9ca0207d5812a891a6d2fc65111ed4.jpeg

875A8C01-5615-47EB-9F07-2289B69474D9.jpeg

14 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

875A8C01-5615-47EB-9F07-2289B69474D9.jpeg

Callie's a pretty girl, airmedic. She has a real sweet look about her.

A friend has a  Drentsche Patrijshond (Dutch Partridge Dog). It looks a lot like a  Large Münsterländer.