Odd breeds you met

21 hours ago, Spin1 said:

Do you consider our Spinoni an odd breed?

5740_1.jpeg

IMG_20201004_190243168_BURST001.jpg

6 Spins over 27 years.  They will always be the most favored breed of my wife and I

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• airmedic1

• quailguy

• Spin1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had a French setter for the day at our house today.     Bentley our youngest English Setter was dressed in a neckerchief and beret for Addison’s birthday. She’s going into eighth

Tag my Braque Francais.  Not sure she's an odd breed necessarily.  But she acts odd now and then.

There are a ton of great labs and pointers on here. Love to see the springers and setters.    But how about a photo thread of some odd breeds?    For instance, this weekend I met m

Posted Images

17 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

That's a breed unto itself. Very rare. They chew tobacco and point at the same time.

Speaking of strange breeds Dave are you looking through single pane or double insulated while chucking that rock?

6 hours ago, john mcg said:

I can't say they are an odd breed, although looking at how they came to be is very interesting, I once met a Boykin while hunting grouse. An old fella owned him and I was impressed with the personality and look...I've thought of owning one more than once.

999554815_ScreenShot2021-09-08at8_25_10AM.thumb.png.5be536b97d4a1432ce37843a69c99262.png

Saw a Boykin in Pa last year hunting Pheasants.   Talk about a whirling dervish.  If he got on a track the bird was going to get airborne.   The fellow hunting him said that hardest part was finding that little dog in 4 foot tall pheasant cover.  He was running a bell, but really needed a beeper because you couldn't hear the bell if the dog was more then 30 yards away and he got 30 yards away in a hurry. 

23 minutes ago, ccavacini said:

Many years ago, ran into a gentleman running a brace of Gordon Setters.  I thought they were majestic looking.

Seen a few in the field.  That are amazingly good looking dogs.  Also saw an Irish Setter in the field hunting pheasants in Pa.  BTW, never saw either of the above dogs point a bird, but it was late in the season and the Game Commission Stocked pheasant areas had been absolutely hammered. 

Clueless1

Saw two guys hunting pheasants in PA with a German Shepherd.  Maybe not an "odd breed" but certainly an odd place to see one. 

9 minutes ago, tut said:

Saw a Boykin in Pa last year hunting Pheasants.   Talk about a whirling dervish.  If he got on a track the bird was going to get airborne.   The fellow hunting him said that hardest part was finding that little dog in 4 foot tall pheasant cover.  He was running a bell, but really needed a beeper because you couldn't hear the bell if the dog was more then 30 yards away and he got 30 yards away in a hurry. 

I understand they make a great water retrieving dog as well. They sure are a fine looking dog!

17 hours ago, airmedic1 said:

Here’s a couple pics of one of our Welsh Springer Spaniels, they are rare.  Not sure anyone has field bred Welshies which is a shame, they are good retrievers but slow to develop.  Callies is three in this pic retrieving a still alive rooster and another of her  sitting on the tail gate.97E530EC-BDF4-4D9B-B872-046CFAD01AB8.thumb.jpeg.8a9ca0207d5812a891a6d2fc65111ed4.jpeg

875A8C01-5615-47EB-9F07-2289B69474D9.jpeg

A guy in the gun club up the road from me has one and believe me that dog has everything a working Springer needs to hunt upland birds or waterfowl - and then some! I watched her owner work her a bit at the club and fell in love with the little dynamo. Super bird dog and cute as bug $hit! I didn't know the guy myself, he was a new member but if interested

I might be able to find out who her breeders were. She impressed the snot out of me.

munsterlander
19 hours ago, airmedic1 said:

Here’s a couple pics of one of our Welsh Springer Spaniels, they are rare.  Not sure anyone has field bred Welshies which is a shame, they are good retrievers but slow to develop.  Callies is three in this pic retrieving a still alive rooster and another of her  sitting on the tail gate.97E530EC-BDF4-4D9B-B872-046CFAD01AB8.thumb.jpeg.8a9ca0207d5812a891a6d2fc65111ed4.jpeg

I knew a guy in western WA who ran Welsh Springers that he claimed were field bred.  Bred or not, they were hunters!  Haven't seen him in years and he would be quite old now.

munsterlander

Only odd breeds I’ve owned are one German Longhair, and a few Large Munsterlanders. My current buddy:

image.thumb.jpeg.964114ddea8e3c04ebcb2d2c484acf56.jpeg

And a mother/daughter photo from a few years ago when these were 15 and 13 years old:

1465389073_2015-03-0811_04_44.thumb.jpg.bd0dd03f2d45d4375e6528afa01c73d3.jpg

I worked with a guy who hunted with a Doberman and a Nova Scotia Tolling Dog. He said the Doberman had a hard mouth, duh. He spent big money on the Toller. He got teased at work pretty hard over it. Among his other exploits, he shot himself thru his hand, while cleaning a pistol. That spawned some other jokes.

The only other odd one that comes to mind is a local guy who brought over a long haired Weimaraner from Germany. He gave the dog its commands in German. From what I could tell, the dog had a limited grasp of the German language.

I saw one of the German Long Haired Pointers down in Wyoming a few years ago. Beautiful dog.

There is a lady that lives in my neighborhood that I occasionally see walking a wire haired Viszla.  Not a large dog, maybe high 40s in weight. She does not, and has never been hunting. Lady seemed surprised that I knew what she was. 

RuffChaser
21 hours ago, quailguy said:

I quite like small Muensterlaenders. I saw them in Germany but never here in the US.

i know several people that have them. Actually most of the people in the MN banding group have versatile breeds with SMs being close to the most popular if they’re not the most popular breed.

I've been lucky enough to shoot over Clumber, Welsh, Sussex, Irish Water, Boykin and American Water. There were certain individuals in each breed that had wonderful attributes. 

boon hogganbeck
3 hours ago, munsterlander said:

Only odd breeds I’ve owned are one German Longhair, and a few Large Munsterlanders. My current buddy:

image.thumb.jpeg.964114ddea8e3c04ebcb2d2c484acf56.jpeg

And a mother/daughter photo from a few years ago when these were 15 and 13 years old:

1465389073_2015-03-0811_04_44.thumb.jpg.bd0dd03f2d45d4375e6528afa01c73d3.jpg

LM's intrigue me...