Odd breeds you met

5 hours ago, john mcg said:

I understand they make a great water retrieving dog as well. They sure are a fine looking dog!

They definitely do. My Boykin is just as described. A ball of fire. She only knows 2 speeds. Hyper fast and sleep. She’s a great flusher and like said. Once she gets on a bird’s trail, it’s going into the air. Relentless.  The same with retrieving. She’s great on land and water, a mallard sized bird is about max.  The Boykin is perfect size dog for doves.  I just love everything about my Boykin. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• airmedic1

• quailguy

• Spin1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had a French setter for the day at our house today.     Bentley our youngest English Setter was dressed in a neckerchief and beret for Addison’s birthday. She’s going into eighth

Tag my Braque Francais.  Not sure she's an odd breed necessarily.  But she acts odd now and then.

There are a ton of great labs and pointers on here. Love to see the springers and setters.    But how about a photo thread of some odd breeds?    For instance, this weekend I met m

Posted Images

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I guess the State Dog Of Wisconsin is "odd" to some...I sure miss mine from years ago...

https://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Yep they originated in and around the town of New London Wisconsin. Not all that far from my home grounds.

This part of Wisconsin Was a great area for water fowl and not shabby at all for upland birds also. The family of several members of the mob of Baby Boomer kids I grew up with had one and she fit right in with all of us. A regular member of what my mother called "The Unholy Alliance" She was a great dog!

3 hours ago, munsterlander said:

Only odd breeds I’ve owned are one German Longhair, and a few Large Munsterlanders. My current buddy:

image.thumb.jpeg.964114ddea8e3c04ebcb2d2c484acf56.jpeg

And a mother/daughter photo from a few years ago when these were 15 and 13 years old:

1465389073_2015-03-0811_04_44.thumb.jpg.bd0dd03f2d45d4375e6528afa01c73d3.jpg

First one I saw was when I was testing Brie in N.A. at the Kettle Moraine Chapter's home grounds. Beautiful dog, got a lot of complimentary comments. The handler and LM did quite well that day if I remember well enough. They were from western Iowa.

Rick Hall
15 hours ago, quailguy said:

Several times small game hunting in Bavaria, one or two gunners had muensterlaneder, and honestly they performed no worse that any drathaar or kurzhaar. Although that would NOT be snappy enough for many Americans.  

Oddly enough. Doctor Hall, Professor of "Duckology", the best small muensterlaender I hunted over belonged to a Bavarian State Forst Meister, and we hunted ducks in a creek off the Danube River in beautiful Bayern (Bavaria.)  The way we did that was that the Forst Meister had his crew mow a path parallel to this creek, about 50 meters off the creek,  for 1 kilometer. There were paths leading down to the creek every several hundred meters. We walked along the mowed path, dropping off a gunner at every path down to the creek. When the Forst Meister reached the end of the path he knew every gunner was in position. 

The Forst Meister would then blow his hunting horn: tah rah, tah rah! And we charged the creek. At a rather sedate pace, of course for safety's sake. Each path to the creek ended at a pool on the creek, and the gunner shot every duck he could off "his" pool. The confused ducks would then fly up and down the creek, giving us additional shots.

When the shooting stopped the Forst Meister brought his Muensterlaender down the creek to pick up any remaining ducks. Whe he and his dog got to my pool I would hold up my ducks, he would ask if that was all, if not the dog would fetch them. One day, as I held up my mallards for his inspection, he asked where the rest of my ducks were. On that particular day I had shot a duck at the very head of the pool that had floated down the pool, washed under a log, then another larger log and there the dead duck remained. I pointed to the logs and told him the duck had washed up under that pile of logs: he then sent that small muensterlaender down the creek with a retrieve command.

That dog swam down the pool, sniffed the 1st log, dove under water and swam under both logs, grabbed the duck and brought it back. That remains the single most outstanding piece of water work by a dog I have ever seen. 

Now I admit of being a rather indifferent waterfowler and no doubt in my mind that many experienced watefowlers have have seen much

better performances by their dogs, but that surely impressed me. 

This ol' professor would pass on that brand of duck shooting, but the retrieve read like a dandy.  All the SM I spent a morning with managed, when not setting ambushes for my little Brit, was bumping a couple grouse.

2 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

This ol' professor would pass on that brand of duck shooting, but the retrieve read like a dandy.  All the SM I spent a morning with managed, when not setting ambushes for my little Brit, was bumping a couple grouse.

Yes sir, it WAS a little strange, that brand of duck shooting. 🤠 But ,you know what they say: when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Did I ever tell you about shooting ducks after dark in Scotland? That was some fun.

airmedic1

I’d be interested in a field bred Welshie, I know my wife will want another in a couple of years.  She’s a board member or was one of the Welsh association.

Yep, I have welshies (3), which admittedly is an odd breed.

Gretchen and Larsen are both MHs.  

Little Heidi is 5 mo.

Here's Gretchen in Ohio recently.

IMG_1692.JPEG

airmedic1
10 minutes ago, frak said:

Yep, I have welshies (3), which admittedly is an odd breed.

Gretchen and Larsen are both MHs.  

Little Heidi is 5 mo.

Here's Gretchen in Ohio recently.

IMG_1692.JPEG

Gretchen is a good looking dog!  Do you raise them?

3 hours ago, quailguy said:

Yes sir, it WAS a little strange, that brand of duck shooting. 🤠 But ,you know what they say: when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Did I ever tell you about shooting ducks after dark in Scotland? That was some fun.

Hunting down in Iroquois county in Illinois the corn had, for the most part, been harvested. Late in the evening a big flock of Golden Eyes would land way out in the middle of the field. Smart! Very hard for predator's to try and sneak up on them.

I know, I tried. Cold dried mud and dirt that sneaked into your waistband and then parts south. Crawling over corn stubble is pretty uncomfortable too. It never occurred to me or Phil that we might of tried camo cloth and corn stalk covering and some cozy camping mattresses underneath and just waited in place and let them come to us. Then again that would of taken away from hunting over the dog and scaring the quail. A whole lot of patience or brains did not abide in either one of us at that time. In fact I think the dogs had more then us at times. Blood thirsty youth.

I can see how night shooting ducks could happen. Tell me Rick, was was a bottle of Scotch involved in this Slaughter by the Pale Moonlight?  

Urban_Redneck

The less common pointing dogs I have met

Irish red and white

French Spaniel

Gascogne type Braque Francais 

Pyrenes Type Braque Francais 

Pont Audemer Spaniel

St Usage Spaniel

Braque de l'Ariege

Both flavors of Picardy

Braque de Burbonais

Perdiguero Burgos

Lots of hounds Including a Schweitzer Laufhund.

•  
4 hours ago, Spin said:

I can see how night shooting ducks could happen. Tell me Rick, was was a bottle of Scotch involved in this Slaughter by the Pale Moonlight?  

Actually, the dark of the moon is preferred. One shoots when the stars are ocluded by dark duck shadows coming in to land. I am not making this up.

Small Waterfowl Pond, Corsewall, Scotland

We sit in benches up against the tree line (the dark line beneath the pond,) and shoot when one sees the ducks. Sometimes its geese. Neither come until after dark. Very tough shooting.

The scotch comes after the shooting.  Of course. 🥃

19 hours ago, mccuha said:

They definitely do. My Boykin is just as described. A ball of fire. She only knows 2 speeds. Hyper fast and sleep. She’s a great flusher and like said. Once she gets on a bird’s trail, it’s going into the air. Relentless.  The same with retrieving. She’s great on land and water, a mallard sized bird is about max.  The Boykin is perfect size dog for doves.  I just love everything about my Boykin. 

Boykins and Spinoni were admitted into full breed recognition by the AKC at the same time. The Boykins were rumored to be a guarded secret by hunting circles in the Southeast. Really there were quite a few Boykin Owner/Breeders that resisted entrance into the ACK fearing the careless "fad breeding" that can occur with New Breed recognition.

3 hours ago, Spin said:

Boykins and Spinoni were admitted into full breed recognition by the AKC at the same time. The Boykins were rumored to be a guarded secret by hunting circles in the Southeast. Really there were quite a few Boykin Owner/Breeders that resisted entrance into the ACK fearing the careless "fad breeding" that can occur with New Breed recognition.

Yes.  That is correct. The guy I got mine from didn’t like the idea at all. There’s a lady not for from me that is a breeder and has been forever. She holds all breeding rights to every pup her dogs have produced.  That way she controls her breeding atleast. 

24 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Yes.  That is correct. The guy I got mine from didn’t like the idea at all. There’s a lady not for from me that is a breeder and has been forever. She holds all breeding rights to every pup her dogs have produced.  That way she controls her breeding atleast. 

Well, IMHO, boykin owners, breeders, etc enjoy nothing more than a good feud, with AKC or with each other if there is no one else around.  I love them all dearly, and the little brown dogs are awesome on land and in the water.