Is this the new Upland Hunter

Jim Vander

There is a pretty prominent podcaster and instagram hero who posted a picture today of a blue grouse on a gravel road 20 feet wide and made a big deal about how hard they are to shoot on the wing. Is this the direction we are going?  I apologize in advance to Brad in and well understand the imminent posthole but  for crying out loud is this the new model of the Uplander?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airmedic1

• Quig

• idcut

• boon hogganbeck

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To put “social media” and UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.   This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequ

If anyone gets verklemp over grouse, any grouse being shot on the ground, they best not hunt in Maine. Wing shooters are the vast minority. I have quit just about all “social media” except UJ and neve

I may, or may not, have ground-swatted a grouse but I wouldn't hesitate to recognize that action as less than honorable.  I don't sense that the OP is as frustrated about the perhaps ground-swatted gr

Posted Images

Wouldn’t be the same one talking about how many birds they kill in a season…?!?  🤔

3 hours ago, Jim Vander said:

There is a pretty prominent podcaster and instagram hero who posted a picture today of a blue grouse on a gravel road 20 feet wide and made a big deal about how hard they are to shoot on the wing. Is this the direction we are going?  I apologize in advance to Brad in and well understand the imminent posthole but  for crying out loud is this the new model of the Uplander?

Wouldn't be the fella that's perhaps only a little bit upland, would it? Road swatted with a .22

Side note, I find one of the prominent "new voices" in the bird hunting world (both podcast and Instagram) to be incredibly whiny and overly offended/victimized. And, as an east coast guy, I can't help but chuckle a little bit about how all of the over-promotion of public land hunting out west from those podcasters and BHA and the like - promotion almost exclusively for the sake of selling new, expensive, stupid gear (PANTS WITH POCKETS on the side [but not cargo pants], pants that hold three arrows [WHY!]) through their primary advertising outlets, again the podcasters and instagram people - has come back around to bite them right in the nads. 

I saw this as well, I believe it was a spruce grouse, and I also believe he said that tongue in cheek. Since getting a spruce grouse to actually fly is apparently a challenge at times….

I understand the frustration with the concept of social media stars being frustrating. However, like it or not, the next generation will most likely be effectively reached and communicated to through these platforms. I’m 48 and wish we could get rid of smartphones and social media at times(as I hypocritically type this from my smartphone)😳. That being said, If social media platforms are used and get more younger hunters interested and passionate, I’m all in. 

I'm blessed to be completely ignorant of such things. I'd like to say,"what's a podcast". While I get what it is I have dodged such things and don't feel cheated at all. The ways of the world change. Even our upland world. I'll just wander about as always, blissful and unaware. Take what nature gives for birds and call it all good. This site is as far into the internet world as I get and it's good enough for me. Give this fellow with the road grouse a box of tissues to dry his eyes and get back in the woods where he'll never find you.

Brad Eden

If anyone gets verklemp over grouse, any grouse being shot on the ground, they best not hunt in Maine. Wing shooters are the vast minority. I have quit just about all “social media” except UJ and never belonged to Twit nor Insta. With that said, there have always been upland hero’s. Before internet they were writers or local braggarts. IMO

Please keep the names of people and podcasts private. I don’t need to deal with disgruntled social media podcasters and personalities, etc. This is a public forum. 

I do not know of the podcast. But, out west, Sooty (blue), Spruce, and, the king of all grouse, Ruffed grouse are prone to walking around close to you. They are indeed, at times, difficult to flush. They are not called fool hens for no reason.

The only Sooty grouse I have ever killed was ground swatted. That was after a concerted effort to get it into the air. Finally, I said to *ell with it and shot it. It was great eating.

I have considered packing a .22 along while elk hunting. Grouse are seen most every day. They make for a good camp meal. So far I haven't. I have also thought of getting a decent sling shot. That however is not an approved method of taking, for some illogical reason. 

I may, or may not, have ground-swatted a grouse but I wouldn't hesitate to recognize that action as less than honorable.  I don't sense that the OP is as frustrated about the perhaps ground-swatted grouse as he is about the social media sharing.  Demonization of the internet culture, social media in particular, is a regular theme nowadays.  I would offer a bit of a counter perspective.

Many of my closest friends I've met as a result of this board.  I've made the acquaintance of perhaps another dozen like-minded hunters as a result of my IG or YouTube accounts.  Almost daily I get to talk about this sport I love with others as a result of the internet and social media.  Sure I occasionally see others behaving in ways that are perhaps not consistent with my own view of what might be ethical.  Sure I recognize the almost omnipresent financial motivations associated with many accounts (I cull those, especially on IG, if they get too heavy-handed).  But for each one of those there are dozens of other social media users that are only wanting to share their love for the sport, their dog(s), the beauty of their landscapes and the joy of their friendships with like-minded people.  

I appreciate the opportunities that this board and other social media sites have given me to expand my upland hunting experiences and meet new people.  I love sharing the beauty and poetry of what I do afield.  As I've said before I hope somebody, somewhere sees one of my videos or IG posts and thinks, "I want to do that!" and then does.  I also recognize that a stack of birds on the tailgate, the last dying flutter of a bird in my hand or even the raw enthusiasm of a young hunter at the kill might be, or likely is, offensive to some.  I posit that our world is better because I can share those moments than it would be if I were told I could not.  

Brad Eden

To put “social media” and UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.

This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequently stolen by Zuckerborg….and it took some years to put its strangle hold on people, and wipe out most “traditional Boards” like UJ, especially when they coded Fakebook Groups. 

And before Twitter (2006) when Jackie Dorsey probably couldn’t even grow a beard and act as weird.

And before YouTube was launched (2005)  by three employees of PayPal who cashed out…when Google bought it in 2006.

And before Instagram hit the interwebs (2010), started by a Stanford grad and bought by none other than Facebook/Zuckerborg in 2012.

So admittedly I do wince at Upland Journal being bundled with the rest of what “social media” has evolved into. Certainly UJ is social and it is media but I like to think of it as a whole lot different too. 

18 minutes ago, Scar said:

I may, or may not, have ground-swatted a grouse but I wouldn't hesitate to recognize that action as less than honorable.  I don't sense that the OP is as frustrated about the perhaps ground-swatted grouse as he is about the social media sharing.  Demonization of the internet culture, social media in particular, is a regular theme nowadays.  I would offer a bit of a counter perspective.

Many of my closest friends I've met as a result of this board.  I've made the acquaintance of perhaps another dozen like-minded hunters as a result of my IG or YouTube accounts.  Almost daily I get to talk about this sport I love with others as a result of the internet and social media.  Sure I occasionally see others behaving in ways that are perhaps not consistent with my own view of what might be ethical.  Sure I recognize the almost omnipresent financial motivations associated with many accounts (I cull those, especially on IG, if they get too heavy-handed).  But for each one of those there are dozens of other social media users that are only wanting to share their love for the sport, their dog(s), the beauty of their landscapes and the joy of their friendships with like-minded people.  

I appreciate the opportunities that this board and other social media sites have given me to expand my upland hunting experiences and meet new people.  I love sharing the beauty and poetry of what I do afield.  As I've said before I hope somebody, somewhere sees one of my videos or IG posts and thinks, "I want to do that!" and then does.  I also recognize that a stack of birds on the tailgate, the last dying flutter of a bird in my hand or even the raw enthusiasm of a young hunter at the kill might be, or likely is, offensive to some.  I posit that our world is better because I can share those moments than it would be if I were told I could not.  

Well said.

My experience from the beginning has been the same. Virtually all of my hunting and fishing friends were gleaned from UJ. Many of us learned that we lived close to each other and we would not of known otherwise.

Life is filled with many points of connection and we are enriched....

Incidentally, I was reading an older article by a guy who grouse hunts here in Idaho, yesterday. He explained how he enjoys hunting grouse with a 22 and plinks them either in the head or through the chest below the wing. He went into the traditions of the east and midwest when it comes to grouse hunting, with the dogs, cabins, shotguns, etc and how he prefers a quiet walk in the woods with his 22, preferably 22 short,  no dog, no hoopla and fanfare, no loud noises, only the quiet crack of his 22 when he encounters a bird. I thought it was kind of a refreshing read. One of his points to the article was, when he wants to hunt with a dog. a shotgun, and all that goes with that, he'll hunt the myriad of other birds that Idaho has to offer, which is why, he speculates, perhaps the traditional grouse hunting states have their long held rituals, since there are few other birds to hunt.

I've killed more than a few forest grouse, all three species, off a limb with a 22 and/or shotgun and suspect I'll do so in the future as well. I've actually killed a few blue grouse with a thrown rock and have caught, with my hands a few spruce grouse, although I will admit, I released the spruce grouse.

1 minute ago, Brad Eden said:

To put “social media” And UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.

This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequently stolen by Zuckerborg….and it took some years to put its strangle hold on people, and wipe out most “traditional Boards like UJ, especially when they coded Fakebook Groups. 

And before Twitter (2006) when Jackie Dorsey couldn’t even grow a beard and act as weird.

And before YouTube was launched (2005)  by three employees of PayPal who cashed out…when Google bought it in 2006.

And before Instagram hit the interwebs (2010), started by a Stanford grad and bought by none other than Facebook/Zuckerborg in 2012.

So you all will have to excuse me when I wince at Upland Journal being bundled with the rest of “social media”. NTTAWWT. Certainly it is social and it is on media but I like to think of it as a whole lot different too.

Brad---I agree both in substance and emotionally.

UJ is more finely focused, as well. Dedicated in substance and community.

Thhere is a reason that it has survived and thrived.

RuffChaser

PM me the show or link I'd like to check it out. Years ago I saw a show on hunting Utah or Idaho or some other place in the Rockies. I watched because as I was cruising through channels they mentioned they'd be hunting grouse. They literally limb swatted a ruffie maybe 8-10 off the ground and bragged about it. I get all the opinions on it all but, sorry, I will never understand it. And another thing, calling UJ media might be a bit of a stretch unless I've been missing the article section.

LabHunter

I think effective and principled moderation is what has allowed UJ to survive.  It's something that many of us are happy to pay for in the form of contributing member fees, etc..

This is something that you don't typically see on FB in my opinion (IMO for you youngsters).  It's more of an anything goes situation on FB.  Interestingly, there are some very large FB groups and the group admins do attempt to monetize them sometimes but I have not seen it done very effectively...tip of the hat to Brad for developing a service that we all appreciate and for having the business savvy to monetize it & thereby make it in his interest to continue with upkeep, etc..

I do wonder about the age demographics for UJ though.  I'm 44 and I feel like I'm likely on the young side for this group...?

As for ground swatting grouse, I can't say that I have ever had the opportunity to do so.  One time I nearly got one with my Jeep, does that count?  It was a great red phase bird.  If I did a tail mount with JEEP right below, would that be appropriate?

uplandnut30

New?  Ground swatting is not a new phenomenon…if anything the sport hunter is a newer phenomenon in America.  I don’t understand the outrage.  Set your self imposed limits and enjoy your style of hunting…don’t worry about others and what they enjoy.