Is this the new Upland Hunter

Doubles in Oregon

In 1997, I went to northern Saskatchewan to hunt Whitetail.

It was Thanksgiving week. We hunted out of tree stands.

Going to and from the stands, we saw plenty of Grouse--- on the roads, on the trails, etc.

Sitting in the stands, groups of grouse would come by, one even landing in the tree above me.

That Grouse caused a load of snow to come down on top of me.

Curious about the opportunity to come back and hunt with dogs, I mentioned this to the guides.

One chuckled. The other laughed out loud.

"We just go out in September, on ATVs, and shoot them with .22 pistols."

I still think about that week and how it might have been to go back and investigate the seemingly endless covers there.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airmedic1

• Quig

• idcut

• boon hogganbeck

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To put “social media” and UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.   This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequ

If anyone gets verklemp over grouse, any grouse being shot on the ground, they best not hunt in Maine. Wing shooters are the vast minority. I have quit just about all “social media” except UJ and neve

I may, or may not, have ground-swatted a grouse but I wouldn't hesitate to recognize that action as less than honorable.  I don't sense that the OP is as frustrated about the perhaps ground-swatted gr

Posted Images

I am fairly certain I watched the video clip in question. I really didn’t see anything wrong with it, had it been in AZ the guy probably would be getting a visit from G&F for shooting from a marked road.  I saw nothing that was special about the video. I think he was more happy he was able to find one out of a tree and got it to flush. I have been guilty of Arkansas’ing a few sentinel gambel’s in my younger days when they popped up on top of an oak bush (wasn’t using a dog back then). 

Dave Quindt
3 minutes ago, DDFire99 said:

I am fairly certain I watched the video clip in question. I really didn’t see anything wrong with it, had it been in AZ the guy probably would be getting a visit from G&F for shooting from a marked road.  I saw nothing that was special about the video. I think he was more happy he was able to find one out of a tree and got it to flush. I have been guilty of Arkansas’ing a few sentinel gambel’s in my younger days when they popped up on top of an oak bush (wasn’t using a dog back then). 

Agree completely; the bird was flushed off of a gated gravel road over a pointing dog and shot in the air.   

Other than confirming my suspicions about the sportiness (or lack thereof) of western US mountain grouse I'm not sure what the problem was.

JMO,

Dave

8 hours ago, Dave Quindt said:

Agree completely; the bird was flushed off of a gated gravel road over a pointing dog and shot in the air.   

Other than confirming my suspicions about the sportiness (or lack thereof) of western US mountain grouse I'm not sure what the problem was.

JMO,

Dave

Hmm... Instagram I was looking at, guy was bragging about shooting it with a Marlin .22 lever action. 

Anyway, my first Vermont grouse trip, day 1, cover 1, we had a great point and flush... about 10yds down the path onto a dead pine limb 15' up. Bird hooked around a big cypress before we could shoot and we lost it, only to see it come out the other end and sit down. Shouted, kicked the tree, threw a stick, he just sat there. I do something, fiddle with the Garmin maybe, take my attention away from the bird and - POW, thud. "He was getting up." I'll never know if my hunting buddy was making me feel better, lying to himself, or just being honest, but we roasted that bird to perfection the next evening. 

Dave Quindt
53 minutes ago, E.Young said:

Hmm... Instagram I was looking at, guy was bragging about shooting it with a Marlin .22 lever action. 

Anyway, my first Vermont grouse trip, day 1, cover 1, we had a great point and flush... about 10yds down the path onto a dead pine limb 15' up. Bird hooked around a big cypress before we could shoot and we lost it, only to see it come out the other end and sit down. Shouted, kicked the tree, threw a stick, he just sat there. I do something, fiddle with the Garmin maybe, take my attention away from the bird and - POW, thud. "He was getting up." I'll never know if my hunting buddy was making me feel better, lying to himself, or just being honest, but we roasted that bird to perfection the next evening. 

LOL we're clearly not talking about the same thing then.

Steelheadfred

When other people start impacting my enjoyment in all things bird hunting, maybe it's time I look in the mirror. 

airmedic1

I don’t have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TicToc or anything else other than LinkdIn for business. I didn’t consider Upland Journal or 16ga.com social media but I was informed they are.  I think some parts of social media is good but the ability to be unkind and unprofessional is to strong for some to manage on their own, hence the bullying, name calling, etc.

I’ll just stay on UJ and 16ga.

boon hogganbeck

I haven't seen the clip in question...   As far as the general complaint about podcasting etc., well, it is only right & natural for one generation to look askance at the one that follows, on and on into infinity.  I'm sure my grandfather would call us sissies for relying on Garmin, etc. He slowed down his big-running dogs with a length of logging chain and would be wondering why that wasn't good enough anymore.

SelbyLowndes

A couple of years ago I watched a covey of quail flush wild and one came back over me and lit in an oak tree right over my head.  I popped him, but it all happened real quick and with time to think about it I wouldn't have.  I didn't notice any difference in the way that bird tasted from the rest of them...SelbyLowndes

Richard Hale

I did not read all the post. I was sidetracked by ground swatting. 
It brought to mind my first grouse. I was an experienced upland hunter and had done a lot of quail shooting in grouse like habitat. 
I was invited to hunt grouse in Missouri. In the mid 80’s they had a season but long gone now. 
My friend had tried it before but not sure he had harvested a grouse. In retrospect it was mature hardwoods and  not ideal habitat. 
The first grouse I flushed from a point and it flew straight toward me from 20 feet away and over my left shoulder into thick brush. 

The only bird I saw the first day. The second day my setter pointed and a grouse hopped up on a log. It was in line with my setter so I could not shoot. The bird looked at my dog and I and flushed straight upward. I shot and killed it. But.. after hunting for two fairly long days in these hills I would have shot it off the log given a safe chance. 

I have never taken a grouse from a tree or ground but would not fault a beginning hunter from doing so as I know the temptation. I was saved only by chance. 

Richard Hale

Quail that sit in trees are normally young birds. Early season. 

Brad Eden

03F9CAFA-31E2-493B-904D-5E689A6409CE.jpeg

On this rare occasion Cash forgot that a Ruffed grouse needs to be flying and then shot on the wing. He did all the work for me. 

To each their own. I only shoot pointed birds on the wing. I currently use a .22 with a hollow point. I started with a .410 and graduated to .22 and rat shot. 

It’s disappointing to hear of guys using these big bore gauges.

1 hour ago, Quig said:

To each their own. I only shoot pointed birds on the wing. I currently use a .22 with a hollow point. I started with a .410 and graduated to .22 and rat shot. 

It’s disappointing to hear of guys using these big bore gauges.

🤣🤣🤣

pa'tridge hunters
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

03F9CAFA-31E2-493B-904D-5E689A6409CE.jpeg

On this rare occasion Cash forgot that a Ruffed grouse needs to be flying and then shot on the wing. He did all the work for me. 

If you really want to be sporting, be like Cash and catch'em in your teeth!