Is this the new Upland Hunter

I'm fairly sure that his remarks were sarcastic, especially if you read his responses in the comments. 

Either way, as long as he's fully licensed and following all laws, his method of take is inconsequential. The purity of hunting will always be on a spectrum...that's something to keep in mind. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airmedic1

• Quig

• idcut

• boon hogganbeck

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To put “social media” and UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.   This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequ

If anyone gets verklemp over grouse, any grouse being shot on the ground, they best not hunt in Maine. Wing shooters are the vast minority. I have quit just about all “social media” except UJ and neve

I may, or may not, have ground-swatted a grouse but I wouldn't hesitate to recognize that action as less than honorable.  I don't sense that the OP is as frustrated about the perhaps ground-swatted gr

Posted Images

Dammit! We have old smart grouse here that will fly up a tree as part of their escape strategy. A good dog that can track the flight and pinpoint the tree it landed in from fifty yards away, then hold it there in that tree until you finally see it a half hour and twelve repositions later, deserves a retrieve. That bird goes in the pot just like any other. Maybe even better if you use the tree to your advantage. There are no easy grouse.

If it takes a box of shells and 20 flushes for a guy to kill a grouse on the wing, I'd rather he just swatted one off a branch or stump and go home. His media clan won't know the difference either way. Why force him to war up the woods and harass a swarm of birds just to gain appreciation from us old men? My only problem is if he thinks he needs to swat a limit of birds to be respectable. 

CommandoLando
On 9/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, LabHunter said:

I do wonder about the age demographics for UJ though.  I'm 44 and I feel like I'm likely on the young side for this group...?

Without a doubt. I just turned 30 and just from casual observation I know I’m probably half the age of a lot of the posters here. Facebook pages of my local field trial clubs look pretty similar to the VFW or my dads high school reunion. I try to do my part recruiting on other sites and networking in the real world but a lot of younger generation don’t even know where to start. 

On 9/7/2021 at 8:15 PM, Jim Vander said:

There is a pretty prominent podcaster and instagram hero who posted a picture today of a blue grouse on a gravel road 20 feet wide and made a big deal about how hard they are to shoot on the wing. Is this the direction we are going?  I apologize in advance to Brad in and well understand the imminent posthole but  for crying out loud is this the new model of the Uplander?

I doubt it. I would consider it a more casual pursuit than most dog mens style of hunting is but who are we to judge? If people go out and enjoy it that’s a net positive for hunter recruitment. This sounds like the start of every debate I’ve heard between deer hunters about stalking vs blind hunting or bow hunters going on about compound vs traditional twangers lol.

Pudgy gopher

I don’t believe the bird cares how you kill it, it’s still dead

23 hours ago, Randy S said:

My only problem is if he thinks he needs to swat a limit of birds to be respectable. 

You're conflating justification with quantity. What's the material difference in swatting one grouse off a tree stump or five grouse off of five tree stumps ? There is no material difference,  It's just a repetitive act that can be judged from varying perspectives regardless of the number of times it's been done. 

1 minute ago, Pudgy gopher said:

I don’t believe the bird cares how you kill it, it’s still dead

If any of us who hunt truly "cared" about the animal's feelings about being shot and killed I doubt if many of us would still be hunters. 

Ruger 1

Seems to me a factor of this might be viewing a community consensus and then honoring that. As an individual aspect? That is being true to ones own compass.

A perceived transgression or realization is the crux.

Im not sure a whole bunch is actually changing… or is it that there is just much more (self) exposure.  

There is however, a new phenomenon that didn’t exist at this scale ever before, an upland “career.” And to be totally honest, I kinda respect it.  (For which you have to market yourself if you want to eat) 
The younger generation (+-millennial) took the “work in a field you are passionate about” rhetoric way more seriously than all of us raised by baby boomers and WAY WAY more seriously than the boomers who were raised by Great Depression era parents.  

Unpopular opinion: If you could put any of the Instagram Upland influencers at a table with many of the old time and celebrated outdoor writers of past - high probability they would be pretty similar kinda folks…

Maybe it’s just me. I’m not in the old category yet but neither am I in the young category. 

The thing that gets under my skin is a lot of the new hunters whether young or older just point blank ask folk where to hunt as far as locations and the such. That’s fine if the information is private where the whole world cannot see but no they want to take to snap face and ask. When someone calls them out on this they take offense. The thing is. There was s less and less of good areas   Yes I learned a lot of places to hunt locally by hunting with m g pa and later after he passed one of his friends but the out of state places I learned from research and hard earned miles. It seems a lot of the newbies want to have to cut this part out.  They just want to hunt where they know they’ll find birds.  All this gets on my last nerve.    The other thing that gets under my skin is the braggart that wants to show the whole social internet world that he’s the best great white hunter.    I find my share of birds and take pics but I don’t post it anywhere.  

CommandoLando
5 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Maybe it’s just me. I’m not in the old category yet but neither am I in the young category. 

The thing that gets under my skin is a lot of the new hunters whether young or older just point blank ask folk where to hunt as far as locations and the such. That’s fine if the information is private where the whole world cannot see but no they want to take to snap face and ask. When someone calls them out on this they take offense. The thing is. There was s less and less of good areas   Yes I learned a lot of places to hunt locally by hunting with m g pa and later after he passed one of his friends but the out of state places I learned from research and hard earned miles. It seems a lot of the newbies want to have to cut this part out.  They just want to hunt where they know they’ll find birds.  All this gets on my last nerve.    The other thing that gets under my skin is the braggart that wants to show the whole social internet world that he’s the best great white hunter.    I find my share of birds and take pics but I don’t post it anywhere.  

The answer to that is to give them a general description of habitat and tell them to look up a range map for the species readily available online. Anyone below the level of an influencer wannabe likely won’t have too many people interested in his bird hunting spots. And on the flip side I’ve been accused of hot spotting for pointing out which sections of Kansas you can hunt chickens in. I don’t think they’re any worse than the preserve only guys and frankly they seem like the larval stage of such hunters. Some people hunt for the process. Some do it for the product. For those that do it for the product whether the pics end up in their study or Instagram isn’t particularly any concern of mine. The rules haven’t changed much. Keep your best spots to yourself and enjoy looking for new ones with friends.

Kansas Big Dog
On 9/8/2021 at 10:30 AM, Brad Eden said:

To put “social media” and UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.

This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequently stolen by Zuckerborg….and it took some years to put its strangle hold on people, and wipe out most “traditional Boards” like UJ, especially when they coded Fakebook Groups. 

And before Twitter (2006) when Jackie Dorsey probably couldn’t even grow a beard and act as weird.

And before YouTube was launched (2005)  by three employees of PayPal who cashed out…when Google bought it in 2006.

And before Instagram hit the interwebs (2010), started by a Stanford grad and bought by none other than Facebook/Zuckerborg in 2012.

So admittedly I do wince at Upland Journal being bundled with the rest of what “social media” has evolved into. Certainly UJ is social and it is media but I like to think of it as a whole lot different too. 

As you have mentioned before, I seem to be able to straddle the divid between UJ and FB. FB allows you to reach a much bigger and wider audience. On UJ, I think there are 11 folks that are following my Whole Shebang thread. On FB, there are 600 people from all around the world that follow my FB kennel page, Flint Hills Epagneul Bretons. EBs are very popular in Europe. I took this from one of my Greek EB hunters page. They hunt chukars in their native habitat in Greece.

Screenshot_20210910-141142_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df6fe5cc441f8c767f58f3f0711f4da6.jpg

I enjoy UJ, but, there is a world wide group of folks like us that are bird hunters with dogs. Most have never heard of UJ.

Right now I'm mentoring 4 young hunters in their 30's. All of them found me through my FB page looking for a puppy.. Only one bought a pup from me, but they all found bird dogs and I have hunted with all 4. Two of them have killed birds this season already. None of them are on UJ.

1 hour ago, CheckCord said:

Unpopular opinion: If you could put any of the Instagram Upland influencers at a table with many of the old time and celebrated outdoor writers of past - high probability they would be pretty similar kinda folks…

I think if you were to seat John Alden Knight, William Harden Foster and especially Burton Spiller at a table with "...any of today's Instagram Upland influencers..." they would shake their collective heads in dis-belief and some disgust at the turns that upland hunting has taken since the presentations of their classic narratives.

If you can come up with an author or blogger or another "...Instagram Upland Influencer" that can, like Burton Spiller,  put together two volumes totaling 432 pages about a life of grouse hunting experiences with, like Spiller,  hardly a  mention of shotguns, gauges, chokes, selfies, upland pants and other wear , etc. I'd love to read it.

Ruger 1

Richard Hale

I love to read of shotguns, gauges and chokes. Not much into the pants, boots are good though. 😁

32 minutes ago, Ruger1 said:

I think if you were to seat John Alden Knight, William Harden Foster and especially Burton Spiller at a table with "...any of today's Instagram Upland influencers..." they would shake their collective heads in dis-belief and some disgust at the turns that upland hunting has taken since the presentations of their classic narratives.

If you can come up with an author or blogger or another "...Instagram Upland Influencer" that can, like Burton Spiller,  put together two volumes totaling 432 pages about a life of grouse hunting experiences with, like Spiller,  hardly a  mention of shotguns, gauges, chokes, selfies, upland pants and other wear , etc. I'd love to read it.

Ruger 1

Agreed, modern outdoor writer's ( with the exception of a few) are gear peddlers.

That being said, there is obviously a market for gear peddling because they're employed. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Ruger1 said:

If any of us who hunt truly "cared" about the animal's feelings about being shot and killed I doubt if many of us would still be hunters. 

Ruger 1

I don't think that's it.  I, and I suspect a lot of others as well, do care about it and that's why I don't skybust, or otherwise take poor shots.  I do think that when you choose to hunt you have a choice: you can either care about the animal and accept the hunting process as a part of the natural cycle - including acceptance of our role in that cycle, or you can choose to ignore it.