Is this the new Upland Hunter

On 9/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, idcut said:

Incidentally, I was reading an older article by a guy who grouse hunts here in Idaho, yesterday. He explained how he enjoys hunting grouse with a 22 and plinks them either in the head or through the chest below the wing. He went into the traditions of the east and midwest when it comes to grouse hunting, with the dogs, cabins, shotguns, etc and how he prefers a quiet walk in the woods with his 22, preferably 22 short,  no dog, no hoopla and fanfare, no loud noises, only the quiet crack of his 22 when he encounters a bird. I thought it was kind of a refreshing read. One of his points to the article was, when he wants to hunt with a dog. a shotgun, and all that goes with that, he'll hunt the myriad of other birds that Idaho has to offer, which is why, he speculates, perhaps the traditional grouse hunting states have their long held rituals, since there are few other birds to hunt.

I've killed more than a few forest grouse, all three species, off a limb with a 22 and/or shotgun and suspect I'll do so in the future as well. I've actually killed a few blue grouse with a thrown rock and have caught, with my hands a few spruce grouse, although I will admit, I released the spruce grouse.

In some of if not most midwestern states it's illegal to shoot grouse or any other classified "gamebirds" with a pistol or rifle.

Tradition just doesn't enter in to it. If it's a migratory Gamebird (protected by the Lacy Act) possible federal charges do. I worked with a guy that plinked 2 Canada Geese on the shore of an office complex and was met at his car by a state trooper who took it seriously and the Judge who presided over his case sure did. Felony conviction, was ordered to divested of all ownership or possession rights to all firearms had to do 3 paper years on his conviction and had all hunting and fishing privileges' removed for three years along with fines and restitution money for the birds.

Another guy who was a several generation born and bred Yooper and a Town Manager believed in this mythical "Tradition" His wife sure didn't when she had to bail him out of jail when him and another traditionalist buddy of his got nabbed shooting grouse from a vehicle with .22 pistols. He came close to a divorce over that one. That episode drove the Tradition right out of him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airmedic1

• Quig

• idcut

• boon hogganbeck

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To put “social media” and UJ in context…Upland Journal/Online Magazine/Discussion Forums was launched in 2002.   This was before Fakebook was started (2004) by a couple frat guys and subsequ

If anyone gets verklemp over grouse, any grouse being shot on the ground, they best not hunt in Maine. Wing shooters are the vast minority. I have quit just about all “social media” except UJ and neve

I may, or may not, have ground-swatted a grouse but I wouldn't hesitate to recognize that action as less than honorable.  I don't sense that the OP is as frustrated about the perhaps ground-swatted gr

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Ruger1 said:

You're conflating justification with quantity. What's the material difference in swatting one grouse off a tree stump or five grouse off of five tree stumps ? There is no material difference,  It's just a repetitive act that can be judged from varying perspectives regardless of the number of times it's been done. 

Thank you, for your opinion, but I think I'll decide the merits of my justification.

I think the point has been missed, concerning the article I read about hunting grouse with a 22. It is legal to kill grouse in Idaho with a bow, a 22, a rock, a shotgun, a centerfire rifle a pistol but is illegal out the window, while sitting in a vehicle, and is illegal to shoot waterfowl with a 22 or centerfire rifle or any other manner, except with a shotgun up to 3.5" 10 gauge, same as all other game birds, including turkeys.

The point was, that he enjoyed the quiet solitude of walking through the woods with his 22, shooting 22 shorts and when the opportunity arose, he preferred the quietness of a 22 report than the blast of a shotgun to break the solitude of the forest he was walking through and as the article mentioned, his method was only the 22 while hunting grouse. 

Being in the minority here on UJ (a western hunter born and raised) as opposed to the number of Mid west/Eastern hunters on UJ, I read on many of the grouse hunting threads that come up, how folks in those parts of the country are prepping their dogs, their cabins, looking for the ultimate shotguns and shells for their grouse hunting ventures to the "northwoods" it sure sounds like tradition from where I sit, which is great, but it's not a strong tradition in this area of the country or this area of Idaho, where big game hunting takes a front seat and grouse are game birds for camp meat or to introduce a young hunter, to hunting.  Due to the illegality of shooting game birds, grouse specifically, with anything other than a shotgun in the mid-west, It seems that this would make the tradition of hunting grouse with a dog and a shotgun even stronger, IMO! 

idcut- I've met many a grouse hunter in northern MN hunting with a .22.   

And there was a push years ago to illegalize the hunting of pheasants in Iowa with a .22.  It seems that was an old traditional method of pheasant hunting and because of that, it remained on the books a legal method.  It may have since been outlawed, but it was legal back in the 90s.  

I don’t see where a .22 is illegal in Michigan’s rule book for grouse.  A slingshot can be used too. Now that’s the standard we should all aspire to, on the wing of course.

11 minutes ago, Quig said:

I don’t see where a .22 is illegal in Michigan’s rule book for grouse.  A slingshot can be used too. Now that’s the standard we should all aspire to, on the wing of course.

If I had to rely on a bow and arrow or slingshot to kill a pheasant on the wing, I’d probably never get one again!  I have a hard enough time with a shotgun!😃

I’m right there with you. My point in several post, what one thinks is sporting, to someone else, it isn’t.

You are right there, I went Dove hunting with a guy the other night who ground swatted four of the five Doves he got.  He shot eight or nine shells. I killed eight but it took almost a box of shell to do it.  He thought I was the fool.  He’s really a nice guy but not really a hunter.

A few years back, hunting pheasants with a friend, who grew up in S ID when it was one of the top pheasant hunting states, we got into a number of birds flushing out of some good, yet a small piece of cover. He dropped one or two, I dropped one and saw a rooster running, almost out of range. I sluiced it on the run with the 16 ga I had in hand. Although he didn't say anything, I could tell that he was a little agitated, so I mentioned it to him. His response, "yeah, not much of a sporting way to shoot them!" I think the one and only time I've shot an unwounded pheasant on the ground and although I didn't state it, I had to agree with him....funny how my attitude is different about forest grouse!

For those of you lucky enough not to be on social media, this guy is the self proclaimed face of Upland Hunting these days. Or cowboy modeling, or dog training, or selling T shirts with his name on them, or something. I'm not sure if he's robbing a stage coach with that Turkish gun or hunting in his Sunday best.

51445485417_618f649e29_z.jpg

1 hour ago, snapt said:

For those of you lucky enough not to be on social media, this guy is the self proclaimed face of Upland Hunting these days. Or cowboy modeling, or dog training, or selling T shirts with his name on them, or something. I'm not sure if he's robbing a stage coach with that Turkish gun or hunting in his Sunday best.

51445485417_618f649e29_z.jpg

1) I don't think OP was referencing this dude. The guy OP was referencing seems like a genuine guy. 

2) I remember back when I was on social media, this dude above posted a reaction video as his dogs were burning up in a cabin out west. Very cringe worthy.

Look pretty ridiculous wandering around during the early season, high 70's/low 80's chukar hills in an outfit like that, plus, for me, I'd probably go down with a heat stroke! Of course, I probably would look much better in such an outfit, than just a strap vest on my upper body as I'm being medivaced off the hill with a helicopter!

As long as it's legal I really don't get too worked up about what someone does. I see plenty of guys hunting grouse off of mowed 2 tracks through the woods. No different than a road out west if it's legal. Plenty of guys walk ditches in South Dakota for pheasants.

The only things that bother me are being unsafe and disrespecting actions towards the game. All the rest I can just turn it off if I don't like it. There are so many delusional egos in the outdoors media world that being upset at any of them for that is just a waste of time.

Most of the upland stuff I see is much easier to watch than the deer and waterfowl hunting. Too many guys think goose hunting is like going to war and deer are the most elusive creatures on earth and need to be surveilled 24/7 to kill one. 

A lot of interesting posts in this thread. My visceral reaction? Envy. 

I'm envious of the guys posting here with not only enough free time to pay attention to what others are doing on instagram, but also the energy to seemingly care about it.