I'm gonna use this new thread to report on the Alpha 10 as well as how it interfaces with the Garmin Explore app.

Its out for delivery with Brown and will arrive today.

Looking forward to this...being a tech weenie and all.

Stay tuned.

Report 1:

It took about 15 minutes to get familiar with the buttons, pair two collars and pair the iPhone and connect it with Garmin Discover.

Real slick. Calibrated compass and it is a much easier process than with the 100. Simply move it in a figure 8--took about 2 seconds.

Put the collar on Max and I have it set to beep and vibrate for on point. The first point took about 4 seconds and the second (kennel point) at 36 yards took about six seconds. The tone and vibrate is quite noticable--works good.

Next I will set additional correction settings and learn how that works.

Report 2:

Wow! really easy. The interface shows both dogs, if you choose and gives all the important information. The compass, distance, direction works great. The interface on each dog also show the type of stim chosen and using the 5 dimensional front button makes it a cinch to change the stim type on the fly and to switch between dogs/collars. That front button works like a joy stick.

With the iPhone, you would need service to utilize explore app, is that correct?

7 minutes ago, Quig said:

With the iPhone, you would need service to utilize explore app, is that correct?

Good question. Its a blue tooth connect, so I guess no. Then again at distance, it may be.

I suspect at the least, it will update.

Ruffs.N.Brooks

Been looking into this since I saw it announced.  Might bite the bullet and get one with a couple collars.  The simplicity appeals to me.

Report 3:

Really like this unit. Additional information on the dog screen is battery levels for both the hand unit and the collar along with signal strength. The distance and direction to dog (compass) seems more responsive than the 100. The battery lasts a lot longer. The point alert has been consistent at around 4 seconds. THe front button/joy stick is real easy to get used to.

Oh---a second push on the power button activates the back lighting.

Left side button is for the corrections: tone, vibrate or shock. Correction is 1-18. THe right side button is for getting to the menu. Very well thought out, IMO.

THe unit didn't come with a lanyard, but it did include a nice carabiner and a clip that attaches to the back if you choose--just like the 100.

THe correction button is flush with the casing and the menu button is not.

How does it interact with the map app? Does it overlay info of where you have been to the app, does it do

it real time, live?

20 minutes ago, Quig said:

How does it interact with the map app? Does it overlay info of where you have been to the app, does it do

it real time, live?

Yes--real time live and shows the track. Tomorrow we are taking a hike and scoping out a new WMA, so I will be able to see how well the unit speaks to the phone at distance. I will see if I can temp disable cell service. If I am able to do that, I can learn how far the BT comm will work.

Report 4:

We decided to stay out of the sun and instead drove over to Arkansas to hike some steep rough trails. 2.8 miles for us and 5.1 miles for Max. My chest is aching--still not over this covid crap, I guess.

Anyway--I turned off cell service and the BT did OK talking to the Garmin Explorer app until at 100 plus yards and no line of sight, but it picks it right up again and no tracking is lost.

All in all---very satisfied with this unit and its interfacing with the iPhone app.

When you start a hunt--it begins tracking both the collar and the handheld showing two entities in the app with relative data points.

5 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Report 4:

We decided to stay out of the sun and instead drove over to Arkansas to hike some steep rough trails. 2.8 miles for us and 5.1 miles for Max. My chest is aching--still not over this covid crap, I guess.

Anyway--I turned off cell service and the BT did OK talking to the Garmin Explorer app until at 100 plus yards and no line of sight, but it picks it right up again and no tracking is lost.

All in all---very satisfied with this unit and its interfacing with the iPhone app.

When you start a hunt--it begins tracking both the collar and the handheld showing two entities in the app with relative data points.

John, How handy is this unit for training applications? I always go to my old g3 upland unit for training as I think the Alpha is terrible in that regard. Which brings up another issue - if you don't lock the screen does it navigate all over the place when you pull it back out to use it? Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful.

Just now, snood said:

John, How handy is this unit for training applications? I always go to my old g3 upland unit for training as I think the Alpha is terrible in that regard. Which brings up another issue - if you don't lock the screen does it navigate all over the place when you pull it back out to use it? Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful.

I would have to say that it is not as simple as a dedicated training device such as the G3 I once had.

I suppose it would depend on how it was secured.

59 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Report 4:

When you say the Garmin Explorer drops the track at 100 yds, is that 100 yds between the handheld receiver and the phone?  Or between the collar and the phone?  I was assuming the collar was communicating through the A10 receiver and the phone and receiver would pretty much never be 100 yds apart.  But if the collar is communicating to the phone directly that's a different story. 

I'm about 10 minutes from pulling the trigger on one vs the other, so I'm really interested in your comments.  They are super helpful.

18 minutes ago, BrentD said:

When you say the Garmin Explorer drops the track at 100 yds, is that 100 yds between the handheld receiver and the phone?  Or between the collar and the phone?  I was assuming the collar was communicating through the A10 receiver and the phone and receiver would pretty much never be 100 yds apart.  But if the collar is communicating to the phone directly that's a different story. 

I'm about 10 minutes from pulling the trigger on one vs the other, so I'm really interested in your comments.  They are super helpful.

The way I did this is to have the wife carry the Alpha 10 and go way ahead with myself holding the phone....again in steep terrain at at least 100 yards. As soon as I turned cell service back on, it updated with no break in the track.

Brent...for clarity. When you look at the hunt on the phone, you see three things: the collar, the Alpha and an arrow indicating where the phone is on the map.

also of interest...we were hiking in a huge mountain biking area and the detail of all the trails in the app is remarkable also showing terrain elevations.