The phone and alpha are in the same location if on one person, is that correct?

3 minutes ago, Quig said:

The phone and alpha are in the same location if on one person, is that correct?

Yes, but it was cool to see all three when I sent Toni ahead with the Alpha. 

Food for thought. How often do you need to stim a dog while hunting?

I ask because there is in my mind and experience a wide gulf between training sessions and a hunting environment.

The birds train while hunting.

Stimming on a hunt is for danger situations and on occasion a recall.

2 hours ago, john mcg said:

Good point. Not very often unless it's a young dog I'm trying to break or keep broke. I had to remind my newly broke youngster last fall a few times with some nicks and set backs but after a few times he figured out the same rules applied, not really needed.

Dave Quindt
2 hours ago, john mcg said:

Often enough; hunting is just training while being able to shoot wild birds for me.  First point of the day with the younger dogs and I'm watching the dog more than I'm worried about killing the bird.  The biggest compliment that my trial pro would give me is that my dogs didn't need to be "retuned" when they came out of hunting season and went back on the trial circuit.  Then again, I often hunted one weekend and trialed the next, with the same dog.

Horses for courses

JMO,

Dave

While not being an advocate for mediocrity, I am experienced in such and embrace its inevitability.

I have become comfortable with it as I do the vagaries of weather and the tree that obstructs a perfect insertion.

• 2 weeks later...

Update # whatever.

The Garmin Instinct came today and I have it talking to the Alpha 10 and it works just dandy--really snappy for distance tracking and the on point alert. Heads up---even though the Alpha 10 is new, it did require a software update in order to talk to the Instinct--so if you try to pair them and get a 'SEARCHING' screen that won't quit--that is the reason.

Once the Alpha was updated using Connect--voila. Because the Alpha 10 talks to two collars, they both automatically showed up on the watch. Real slick. Now--while hunting and carrying the shotgun, all that is necessary to check on the dog(s) is to turn over the wrist and look rather than needing a hand to reach and grab hold of the unit.

I'm excited and my heart rate is 62. I wonder what will happen if I get relaxed?

LOL

Sorry--I'm having fun.

Ignore the blather.

2 hours ago, boltonguy said:

Life should be fun! Keep having fun 😊

Yes indeed! I have been tempted to become a curmudgeon sour puss, but my wife said, "no".

She that must be obeyed.