Let’s See Some Mounts Or Tail-Fans

Interested in some Upland Mounts and Tail-Fans this year…Also, did you use a local Taxidermist, or send out…Mine retired last year, this is why I ask!  Fan’s, I’ll do myself…😉🥃

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RuffChaser

• Tim Frazier

• Swampy 16

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have done a few this way. These are before I put the shadow box glass over them. 

I do the same as Tim.    

The gentleman in Fort Wayne, IN who did this grouse for me I believe has since passed away.     

Posted Images

Wanted to post about this.

what’s best way to preserve the tail fan DIY? What about feet (want to mount one or two on my dashboard)?

Cooter Brown

The best way I've found to preserve grouse tails is to spread the tail in the position you like (I like around a 150-160 degree angle, which is what a displaying grouse seems to be most of the time) on a board or piece of cardboard using pins, brads, etc.  For a drying agent I use borax, which is cheap and easily available.  Put it under and on top of the meaty portion left on the tail.

I sprinkle a little Sevin dust on the tail to discourage any critters that might be on it or might want to attack it while it's drying.  The tail will dry pretty quickly, but I usually leave it at least a week before removing it from the board.

When I take the tail off the board I blow off the dust and borax with compressed air or simply knock it off.  I then spray the tail with Permethrin, the tick stuff.  I saw this recommended on the Audubon Society website as a way to preserve found feathers.  It dries and has no effect on the feathers.  Over the years I've lost a few tails to moths or something, and since I started using Permethrin several years ago I haven't had a single issue.  If the tail is not going to be in a shadow box or some such, I think the Permethrin is the most important part of the process.  I re-spray displayed tails once a year or so.

I've got a dozen tails on my mantle right now and the subtle and sometimes not so subtle differences in color and pattern are remarkable.

IMG_0179.JPG

What Coot said for preserving tails…although I like a full 180° to fully appreciate the fan, and get borax or taxidermist preservative but if in a pinch regular salt will work OK for drying, and his suggestion of sevin dust to keep the bugs away is very, very good. These are both 15” spread tails. Brown phase and Gray phase in Grouse Tail Plaques I sell here on UJ…made by….Coot…and on top of Dog Urns…also made by Coot. He’s talented.

Mike Connally
2 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

The best way I've found to preserve grouse tails is to spread the tail in the position you like (I like around a 150-160 degree angle, which is what a displaying grouse seems to be most of the time) on a board or piece of cardboard using pins, brads, etc.  For a drying agent I use borax, which is cheap and easily available.  Put it under and on top of the meaty portion left on the tail.

I sprinkle a little Sevin dust on the tail to discourage any critters that might be on it or might want to attack it while it's drying.  The tail will dry pretty quickly, but I usually leave it at least a week before removing it from the board.

When I take the tail off the board I blow off the dust and borax with compressed air or simply knock it off.  I then spray the tail with Permethrin, the tick stuff.  I saw this recommended on the Audubon Society website as a way to preserve found feathers.  It dries and has no effect on the feathers.  Over the years I've lost a few tails to moths or something, and since I started using Permethrin several years ago I haven't had a single issue.  If the tail is not going to be in a shadow box or some such, I think the Permethrin is the most important part of the process.  I re-spray displayed tails once a year or so.

I've got a dozen tails on my mantle right now and the subtle and sometimes not so subtle differences in color and pattern are remarkable.

Great advice Cooter. 
Where are you buying your grouse tails? 

Cooter Brown
12 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

Great advice Cooter. 
Where are you buying your grouse tails? 

The guy you suggested years ago!

Tim Frazier

These are a collection of Pa birds over a number of years.  My gray bird was the last added from up close to NY

I just salt or borax the tails and spray a little permethrin on the feather to avoid insect damage. 

E4DCC3FB-30BC-4FEF-8576-754E53246FFA.jpeg

Man, those look good thanks for posting....Anyone do Sage Grouse or Sharpies?  

My son had a friend of his mount this one for me after our first Maine trip several years ago.

grouse.jpg

He also had a sharpie done too I believe. I'll have to dig around for a picture.

I had a flying grouse mount. It was nice, and was the study for the art I painted for the UJ logo. It eventually deteriorated after 25 years or so, I had another standing grouse mount. A cat we had destroyed it. I have a standing grouse on a log with a nesting woodcock underneath, under glass mount. Despite its cost and presence it’s not a great mount. Grouse looks wrong and Woodcock looks stiff. It’s in storage in my garage. I rarely see a game bird mount that I think is good. They all look awkward to me. It’s extremely hard for a taxidermist to bring game birds to life. But like babies the “parents” only see something beautiful and wonderful.  I think the mounts made of hanging birds, like the paintings we often see are the best bet. JMO. FWIW.

SelbyLowndes

I've never shot one and only seen one of them.  But if I ever do shoot a ruffed grouse I guarantee you I will have it stuffed flying...SelbyLowndes

no matter what it was doing when I shot it.