Let’s See Some Mounts Or Tail-Fans

There was a taxidermist with a very good reputation, Bob McGinnis near Boyers, PA, and when I shot this grouse for some reason it occurred to me that I should take it in and have it mounted.  Only bird I've ever had that done to.  It looks better than the pictures indicate, I am very glad to have had it done but don't figure on any others of any kind.

The grouse popped up out of a tangle as the dog and I approached, it didn't seem to be at full power and was looking down as if it was escaping something within the brush pile.  I asked that the mount replicate that position as closely as possible as it was the first time I'd seen this aspect on a flushing grouse and the image was crystal clear in the moment.  Instead of looking down the bird is looking up, maybe it gives the impression of more speed that way and makes the impending shot seem more difficult.   Only hit one wing which brought the bird down, he ran and hid under a fallen tree trunk.  Beem pointed it, I managed the capture by maintaining a constant gait and stepping over the tree as if passing by and reached down to grab it by the neck.  So clean a bird it seemed the right time and place to have it mounted.  As i said, pleased that I did but don't want any more.

GrouseMount.jpg

GrouseMount1.jpg

GrouseMount2.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RuffChaser

• Tim Frazier

• Swampy 16

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have done a few this way. These are before I put the shadow box glass over them. 

I do the same as Tim.    

The gentleman in Fort Wayne, IN who did this grouse for me I believe has since passed away.     

Posted Images

On 9/12/2021 at 8:01 AM, Tim Frazier said:

I just salt or borax the tails and spray a little permethrin on the feather to avoid insect damage. 

I do the same as Tim.

lxqNUhD.jpg

Tim Frazier
7 minutes ago, DAP said:

I do the same as Tim.

lxqNUhD.jpg

Such a cool picture!

This was supposed to be a dead mount. Gave the taxidermist a photo of exactly what I wanted... apparently he didn't look at it! I was quite pissed at the time but have since moved on. I've dubbed it the "kamakazie cockbird" and relegated it to a storage room in my home that I need to get around to remodeling.

65108_600x400.jpg?1614156c16ee69

8 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

This was supposed to be a dead mount. Gave the taxidermist a photo of exactly what I wanted... apparently he didn't look at it! I was quite pissed at the time but have since moved on. I've dubbed it the "kamakazie cockbird" and relegated it to a storage room in my home that I need to get around to remodeling.

65108_600x400.jpg?1614156c16ee69

I would just turn his wire with pliers so he was flushing

First grouse I ever shot 45 years ago

bD5RFpM.jpg

If I save the tails I pin and borax them and hang on garage wall...did do a whole bird hide too just because they are so pretty.

aX8TJcI.jpg

Have gifted some on tail plaques

X5x1wMt.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 7:34 AM, h20fwler said:

First grouse I ever shot 45 years ago

bD5RFpM.jpg

While it could use some cleaning, I think that is one of the better grouse mounts I've seen.   

interlochen

Here is one I put together last winter from some nice rough sawn cedar I came across at a local shop.

IMG_1423.JPEG

Breakfast Boy

The gentleman in Fort Wayne, IN who did this grouse for me I believe has since passed away. 

20210917_090332.jpg

RuffChaser

And a few feathers. I pull one from the tail of nearly every bird I shoot. I only keep the better fans.

46780FB7-8EA7-4370-8AFE-EDE70681D4B1.thumb.jpeg.5b259f465b98e3d7035d8ace5275f4e7.jpeg