• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RuffChaser

• Tim Frazier

• Swampy 16

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have done a few this way. These are before I put the shadow box glass over them. 

I do the same as Tim.    

The gentleman in Fort Wayne, IN who did this grouse for me I believe has since passed away.     

Posted Images

Cool thread, glad to see I'm not the only one that collects way to many fans/feathers/tail curls and odds and ends from my adventures. 

Ruffs.N.Brooks

I have done a few this way. These are before I put the shadow box glass over them. 

89930366-1291-4C02-836F-B1513107F47A.jpeg

81572531-9D62-415E-B67A-73274806EB97.jpeg

9B4463A0-384B-4236-AADC-DDF3C9AAA063.jpeg

Mike da Carpenter

I know you asked about grouse, just thought I’d add in that the process to preserve is the same for all species.  The boys have done the same process with grouse fans, I just don’t have pics of them.

Took the boys to SD a couple years in a row.  In the evenings, they needed something to do, so I showed them ways to preserve tail fans.  The simplest way we found is with a paper plate plate folded in 1/2 and the center cut out to allow you to put regular table salt on the meaty portion at the base.  Having the hole cut in it, allows you to keep adding salt to draw out all the moisture.  Keep another plate under your fan to catch the moisture that gets pulled out.  The boys just used clothes pins to hold everything in place.  In the past I have used borax to do turkey fans, but to me salt works just as good and is always accessible.  Doing this has kept the boys busy in the evenings instead of having their faces buried in their phones while we are on hunting trips.

E77D98CA-F539-40B4-8220-89E27415151A.thumb.jpeg.5d4c7cec411089ff7d9c75e532f023eb.jpeg

As for the display, I had never considered doing anything with the fans.  Figured the boys would just put them in their room with all the other cool crap they have made/collected over the years. 

This past Christmas, the boys surprised me with the below pictured plaque that has the first tail fan of each of our first SD pheasants.  They picked up some leather to dress up the base of the fans.  THAT was the coolest gift I have ever received.  I have some pretty nice professionally done taxidermy in the home, but nothing compares to this display.  It is by far my favorite and I seriously doubt any taxidermist could put this much love into their work.  

E69CE5B2-105D-43DA-B705-6E3890DF5525.thumb.jpeg.d720fdfac60de22162f2ea4d2f7fcc2a.jpeg

So glad we all went when we did as life has grabbed hold of everyone and trying to coordinate anymore trips like this would not be possible for a few years or more.  If you have kids, don’t wait.  If your dad mentions he’d like to go…Take him.  We are only granted so many days, make them full of great memories.

Cooter Brown
24 minutes ago, millerperch said:

4590B705-F9E4-454C-ABCF-5BF7A520BA85.jpeg

09837330-A6D0-4644-86F1-12045CA907CD.jpeg

The woodcock looks great  I've heard they're difficult to do, even for a bird.

RuffChaser
55 minutes ago, bill said:

Here is shadow mount hanging my cubby hole at home

3AE39036-B509-4BEC-B0BC-7ADFDFE4AE22.jpeg

Nice. How long are those tail feathers???

A different kind of display. I really like European mounts and had these done with beetles a few years back. 

pheasant, woodcock, grouse

IMG_1106-X2.jpg

12 hours ago, bill said:

Here is shadow mount hanging my cubby hole at home

3AE39036-B509-4BEC-B0BC-7ADFDFE4AE22.jpeg

Nice rustic look.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0179.JPG

Grouse Tail Plaques I sell here on UJ…made by….Coot…and on top of Dog Urns…also made by Coot. He’s talented.

I have seen those holders before listed at your store but I never thought about mounting a fan again because every tail fan I have ever saved has eventually been eaten by bugs, so I stopped collecting them many moons ago.  I never ever considered spraying them with Sevin or permethrin which I just learned about in this thread. I just froze them to kill the bugs initially but they eventually get reinfested by something. Since the season is upon us, I am thinking I would like to perhaps purchase 3 or 4 of those plaques for me and my demon spawn as gifts, but I just looked at the store and did not see them (or anything) listed there?. Do I contact Cooter directly or am I somehow "banned" from purchasing?