Let’s See Some Mounts Or Tail-Fans

Nevermind...I found the storefront....HAppy Hunting one and all...I'm actually giddy like a little schoolgirl since opening day is only a few days away...it looks like it is gonna be wet weather however...may have to wait a day or two to actually get out in the woods....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RuffChaser

• Tim Frazier

• Swampy 16

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have done a few this way. These are before I put the shadow box glass over them. 

I do the same as Tim.    

The gentleman in Fort Wayne, IN who did this grouse for me I believe has since passed away.     

Posted Images

On 9/21/2021 at 8:46 PM, RuffChaser said:

Nice. How long are those tail feathers???

Never measured them

• 2 weeks later...
Swampy 16

What kind of permethrin do you guys spray on your tails? I have many in my basement and I don’t wanna lose them. Since the flood I’m freaked that bugs are gonna find them.

ScottGrush

Covid gave me a lot of free time so in an attempt to flatter Cooter by impersonating his tailfan holder I messed around with some different woods. I lost track of what they are, maybe apple??? I like the grains and the one with the bark edge but it will collect dust. 

20190123_152313520_iOS.jpg

20200327_214600405_iOS.jpg

20200408_133922003_iOS.jpg

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, Swampy 16 said:

What kind of permethrin do you guys spray on your tails? I have many in my basement and I don’t wanna lose them. Since the flood I’m freaked that bugs are gonna find them.

I've been using Sawyer (I think that's the brand) that I got at Cabela's.  Aerosol can.  I don't know that the brand would really matter--you can get the stuff in bulk and put it in a pump sprayer if you want.  Given the state of Cabela's you might have to look elsewhere.  They don't even seem to carry Obenauf's leather treatments anymore.

1 hour ago, ScottGrush said:

Covid gave me a lot of free time so in an attempt to flatter Cooter by impersonating his tailfan holder I messed around with some different woods. I lost track of what they are, maybe apple??? I like the grains and the one with the bark edge but it will collect dust. 

20190123_152313520_iOS.jpg

20200327_214600405_iOS.jpg

20200408_133922003_iOS.jpg

Those look nice, Scott.  I like the spalted looking stuff.  If those are the same size as the ones I make that tail in the top picture is huge.

By the way, you'll be hearing from my attorney.

mister grouse

Walmart sells permythian in sporting goods section in a pump spray bottle. @10-12$.  I  use it  for spray down on turkey hunting clothes.

Ive never had an issue of bugs or rot by using just borax, covering top and bottom of the base, pinned down to dry on cardboard for at least a month before mounting .

Edited by mister grouse
Brad Eden

Sevin dust can substitute for permethrin in a pinch. 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, DAP said:

I do the same as Tim.

lxqNUhD.jpg

( And they wonder where all the grouse went! )  Paw the back forty just ain't puttin out the birds it use to. Anyway I was gettin tired of eatin em 6 days a week

Swampy 16

Got these set to dry this morning. Thanks for the Borax tip.8BE7B880-6422-4E14-9BBD-C46A6909D346.thumb.jpeg.e2c03c4e4ead0c22d3180ecdf832cf0d.jpeg

steveziv

I had a nice fan mount on the windowsill of my office.  Dog destroyed it.  I literally shot the tail off the last grouse I killed, so, maybe this year.