One down….

029257C7-BF21-4D40-A1B9-98657CFC9059.jpeg

But not by me. Buddy Scott scores.

Hunted the opener for the Expanded/Management bow hunt this morning. Hunted with my buddy Scott on his property in one of the Expanded hunt urban zones. We set up maybe 75 yards apart on ladder stands. I could see his yard through the trees and a small food plot he had put in. At 6:30 I heard a schwack, then a deer blowing in front of me but out of sight. Then a text with “One Down, Doe.” He saw it fall about 50 yards from the shot spot. double lung, 25 yards, but no pass through. Broadhead hit opposite shoulder and arrow snapped in half on her run. We stayed put for another hour, then retrieved, field dressed, dragged, drove to a tagging station, and to a game processor we know. We typically butcher, package etc ourselves but with warm weather and that he had no time for days, that was the best route to take. Weighed exactly 100 pounds fully dressed. This butcher is also a taxidermist and hunting guide and had a walk in cooler full of black bears. We did take the deer inner loins. One of which will be eaten here this evening. He deserves it, his land, his food plot. We hope to fill some more tags there this fall. I’ll get my share of da meat.

Nice that would have been a easy shot with the Ruger

24 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Nice that would have been a easy shot with the Ruger

True dat…but this suburban area is a no firearm discharge zone. 😔 

Mike da Carpenter

7 minutes in to the Hunt this morning, my youngest decided he didn’t want to wait for something that might not come along so he gladly took the biggest doe in the field (he had his choice of 9).

12575D7F-885B-4332-8694-3272C4B51498.thumb.jpeg.f3820cb984797f588b522866cd4ae24e.jpeg

01AB3556-C578-43D4-833B-25647552F045.thumb.jpeg.8dace67c61c04818c806d3fd2d04721f.jpeg

In the 2nd picture, if you zoom in a bit to the field right above where she is laying, you can see another deer is walking across.  It was a good morning and I’m glad Michigan does this for the youth (16 and under).  The weather is usually nice and the deer are not all spooky.  All combined, it makes for a pleasurable hunt for the kids.

This is our last “youth” hunt, but it will NOT be the last time we hunt together.

Very thankful the landowner allows my boys to hunt his property.  

.350 Legend does it again.  This time at 90 yards.

Luke wants to make it all into Jerky and share it not only with his friends, but more importantly, the landowner.

LostInWoods
On 9/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, Brad Eden said:

029257C7-BF21-4D40-A1B9-98657CFC9059.jpeg

But not by me. Buddy Scott scores.

Hunted the opener for the Expanded/Management bow hunt this morning. Hunted with my buddy Scott on his property in one of the Expanded hunt urban zones. We set up maybe 75 yards apart on ladder stands. I could see his yard through the trees and a small food plot he had put in. At 6:30 I heard a schwack, then a deer blowing in front of me but out of sight. Then a text with “One Down, Doe.” He saw it fall about 50 yards from the shot spot. double lung, 25 yards, but no pass through. Broadhead hit opposite shoulder and arrow snapped in half on her run. We stayed put for another hour, then retrieved, field dressed, dragged, drove to a tagging station, and to a game processor we know. We typically butcher, package etc ourselves but with warm weather and that he had no time for days, that was the best route to take. Weighed exactly 100 pounds fully dressed. This butcher is also a taxidermist and hunting guide and had a walk in cooler full of black bears. We did take the deer inner loins. One of which will be eaten here this evening. He deserves it, his land, his food plot. We hope to fill some more tags there this fall. I’ll get my share of da meat.

Very similar story for me but this one was my first with a bow.  Pair came in behind me with wind at my back.  Had no expectation they would stick around when I stood up and drew on her, but she stood there at 15 yds broad side so I let one fly.  Being my first bow hunt I was concerned when I saw the arrow didn't go all the way through but I knew it was in a good spot.  Waited 15 or 20 minutes in the stand, then checked the spot where she was standing and didn’t see much blood so I backed out to give her some time.  1.5hr later I returned to track with minimal blood sign, but there she was 60yds away.  I double lunged her but believe I hit the far side shoulder, a lesson on thinking about where the arrow will exit when aiming...all that said I was very happy with my results.  Wouldn't mind if this weather cooled down to kill off the bugs and make recovery time a little less stressful. 

You can actually see the 3 blades from the broad head in the exit below, through it didnt pass through it looks like it at least poked out.  Then arrow broke and it worked its way out.

doe-down.jpg

31 minutes ago, LostInWoods said:

Very similar story for me but this one was my first with a bow.  Pair came in behind me with wind at my back.  Had no expectation they would stick around when I stood up and drew on her, but she stood there at 15 yds broad side so I let one fly.  Being my first bow hunt I was concerned when I saw the arrow didn't go all the way through but I knew it was in a good spot.  Waited 15 or 20 minutes in the stand, then checked the spot where she was standing and didn’t see much blood so I backed out to give her some time.  1.5hr later I returned to track with minimal blood sign, but there she was 60yds away.  I double lunged her but believe I hit the far side shoulder, a lesson on thinking about where the arrow will exit when aiming...all that said I was very happy with my results.  Wouldn't mind if this weather cooled down to kill off the bugs and make recovery time a little less stressful. 

You can actually see the 3 blades from the broad head in the exit below, through it didnt pass through it looks like it at least poked out.  Then arrow broke and it worked its way out.

doe-down.jpg

Congrats. That’s awesome! 

We had the inner/tenderloin last night with garlic mashed potato’s and sliced tomatoes from the garden. Just seasoned and cut into thickish medallions and seared to rare. Very good, delicious actually, but chewier than I am use to with tenderloin. Typically I/we age our venison in coolers or hanging if temps cooperate 3 days to a week. These were only in fridge for a day. Maybe that’s why.

Im trying to get back on bow stand in this Management zone one afternoon and one morning this week as I dodge rainy weather. 

Mike da Carpenter

Luke took it from field to freezer (with very little help this year).  23.8# of pure red meat.  No fat and no sinew/silver skin.  The kid has learned well over the years and is handling a knife quite well.  A little slow, but he still has all his fingers.

6A7BBD5F-597A-4EA6-907E-46C5EF554E7B.thumb.jpeg.1b6dfb2272f317b6938b8503e11be24e.jpeg

6A077B93-1E2E-4830-A63A-F3F85FFE4F17.thumb.jpeg.26c62d731a9c8a8d0fe316a60d431789.jpeg

5C57AD34-EA5D-458D-8936-A2922AEC84A9.thumb.jpeg.39c462454fdcb6f516e169e2fe1baacb.jpeg

Sister got it done. Her first bear shot with our grandfather’s Marlin 336, wearing Dad’s old sweatshirt, out of Uncle’s old stand. All of them are dearly departed but I’m sure they are smiling now. 275# dressed. 

CF5126C8-C296-48F5-96AA-F6F009C43DD9.jpeg

BBE5D50F-5C83-4872-AEAD-9048AADA184E.jpeg

282BFAC3-6409-499D-A844-29366455CB98.jpeg

Mike da Carpenter
7 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Sister got it done. Her first bear shot with our grandfather’s Marlin 336, wearing Dad’s old sweatshirt, out of Uncle’s old stand. All of them are dearly departed but I’m sure they are smiling now. 275# dressed. 

FANTASTIC!!!!  

7 hours ago, OldSarge said:

What caliber was the 336 ?  Those ole timers like the 35's . Congrat's to your sister cool chain of events .

Gun is a thuddy-thuddy.  Shot angled forward left to right, from mid ribs and out the base of the neck just in front of the right shoulder. Top of the heart was gone. Death run took it about 20 yards from the shot, into a popple thicket. Easy blood trail. 

Mike da Carpenter
12 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

Gun is a thuddy-thuddy.  Shot angled forward left to right, from mid ribs and out the base of the neck just in front of the right shoulder. Top of the heart was gone. Death run took it about 20 yards from the shot, into a popple thicket. Easy blood trail. 

My first rifle was a Marlin 336cs in 30-30.  Shot close to a dozen deer with that rifle before I sold it.  Excellent, reliable piece of equipment.