One down….

Yesterday afternoon I pulled off a three hour sit in the same ladder stand that my friend arrowed the doe from on Saturday. Quiet until 7:00 when 3-4 deer moved through 40 yards in front. Looked like all big does and one skipper. But it was dusky in the woods with 15 minutes left of legal light. Just silhouette blobs and shadows for the most part. They swung to 30 yards and meandered under the pines. If you don’t watch them intently they all but disappear. I was on my feet, palms sweating, bow ready but they never continued through a 15-20 yard open shooting lane. I let them drift off until it was no pins visible dark and got down and headed back to truck. Nice adrenalin rush nonetheless. I don’t typically do any calling like bleats or grunts this early. Maybe should have fawn bleated to turn them. Hindsight is 20/20. I would like to get one down before the ruffed grouse and Woodcock Opener on September 25; a week earlier than usual. 

8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yesterday afternoon I pulled off a three hour sit in the same ladder stand that my friend arrowed the doe from on Saturday. Quiet until 7:00 when 3-4 deer moved through 40 yards in front. Looked like all big does and one skipper. But it was dusky in the woods with 15 minutes left of legal light. Just silhouette blobs and shadows for the most part. They swung to 30 yards and meandered under the pines. If you don’t watch them intently they all but disappear. I was on my feet, palms sweating, bow ready but they never continued through a 15-20 yard open shooting lane. I let them drift off until it was no pins visible dark and got down and headed back to truck. Nice adrenalin rush nonetheless. I don’t typically do any calling like bleats or grunts this early. Maybe should have fawn bleated to turn them. Hindsight is 20/20. I would like to get one down before the ruffed grouse and Woodcock Opener on September 25; a week earlier than usual. 

That's the stuff that keeps us coming back for more..."close encounters and next time"...

• 2 weeks later...
topdog1961
On 9/14/2021 at 7:59 AM, NH Jay said:

Congrats to your sister! That’s a real nice bear! A real fatty!

I know the feeling. If aliens ever have a human season, I’ll be gone on opening day, strapped across the hood of a saucer. 

Lurch- you better keep your eyes peeled too. 

Our season starts Friday. Suddenly there are no deer on camera. SMH Typical.  After the crappy season last year was I was hoping the daughter could just shoot something with her crossbow. 

We never really know though so we'll be sitting there this weekend.

OldSarge

Opening night of MI archery season. I didn’t have much hope since a pack of wolves moved in and deer evaporated off the cameras. Had to sit anyway. It was hot, like 82, when I got to the stand. Too dang hot. I had a good walk this morning, hunting grouse, so the heat was making me sleepy. Dangerous in a bow stand, despite a harness. I started playing mental games to keep awake. I saw some movement about 60 yards out. Antlers! A quick look confirmed that there were enough points for a legal buck in my area. I got the bow ready and attached my release to the loop. Dang, he stopped 25 yards out but behind a balsam tree. Two more steps into the open and I got a nice quartering away shot, double lung and pulmonary arteries. Jump, jump, dead. Mathews Triax, Gold Tip hunter arrows, G5 Striker 100 grain 4 blade broadheads. 197 pounds live weight. 

5E9F3F06-1E5D-40CB-B110-390920A1036F.jpeg

RookieEP

Excellent Old Sarge.  Now hand gun time for you