Dog dribbling/incontinence

We have a 2.5 year old Deutsch Langhaar who is, as best as I can describe, dribbling urine.  It’s been going on for close to a year now.  Initially, she would get up from a nap and be wet. It’s not large amounts usually, but enough to make her stay on the main floor of the house, where we don’t have carpet. She’s currently on time release proin, which was working great until this week.  It’s really increased this week for some reason. 

We’ve checked for UTI’s, tried Proin twice a day, and have landed on the time release Proin. 

We did let her have one heat cycle before having her fixed. Our vet thinks it might be a natural occurrence of incontinence after having been spayed (he did not do the spay).

Has any of the UJ collective dealt with this or have any other ideas/solutions/treatments?

Mike Connally

My Britt Whiskey had this problem after being spayed. We tried several different medications until we found one that worked. It’s been too long now for me to remember the name of the drug. I’d try different meds until you find one that works. 

Dave Quindt

I had a spayed female start leaking urine; spayed at 9 years, problem occurred at ~12.  Was put on DES (synthetic estrogen), had no problems and she lived to be almost 18.  We might have had to up the dosage at one point IIRC.

Threads like this make me nervous; I had a 3.5 old female spayed this week  Wanted to try to keep her intact as late as possible but there were some other factors at play.  

FWIW,

Dave

ESetterSage

Give my dog 1 mg of des ever since she was spayed. Vet said they pretty much take it all out, no muscle. Meds help otherwise ol lady would be all piss off.

Our GSP Abby was spayed after one cycle and started dribbling urine within a year.  The vet we were using at that time said the vet that spayed her didn’t do a very good job and had accidentally cut a muscle that he shouldn’t have.  I don’t know if that’s true but Abby leaked all of the time.  The vet prescribed Proin but we were hesitant to use it because it can cause seizures.  It got so bad that we finally started giving it to her. I believe we were supposed to give her 50mg twice a day but we ended up giving her 12.5 mg twice a day.  She has been on that dose for years and never leaked again and we have never increased the dose.

Seizures from proin killed one of my favorite dogs 

look at the history of that drug with women

find something else is my opinion

shoot-straight

Another here that has used proin successfully. Not for a dog but our old cat, who was peeing when she slept far as we could tell. She was (still is old @19) but it's been a wonder drug. 4+ years and no issues.

Same deal with my old flat coat, spayed after her first cycle and leaky after. Proin fixed it, as noted it can be kind of a nasty drug, but it works.

Proin is a very safe medication, relatively speaking.  Can make some dogs a tad hyper but altering the dose usually alleviates that problem.  DES is a synthetic estrogen that also works very well despite some fears about side-effects namely bone marrow suppression.  Again, dosed properly quite safe IME.

Urinary incontinence in spayed females is not rare.  I've treated hundreds of such cases as have my colleagues with confidence in regards to safety and efficacy.  Careful what you read on the internet. Duh.

I had no idea this was so common. My wife’s old dog was on Proin, DES, and a host of others.  I chalked it up to an opportunistic vet and a hypochondriac dog owner 😆. The time release Proin seems to work better than the multiple times a day. Since I didn’t go to vet school, I’ll keep following my vet’s advice.

It’s always nice to hear the UJ opinion on these things!

We had a female gsp that was in a similar situation with dribbling after being spayed. We tried des and prion. Prion worked for a while but then seemed to not be effective. Plus she started to refuse to take them and it became a daily hassle to try and get them down her throat. We decided to try another route. We tried a few different supplements we settled on these(https://naturvet.com/product/bladder-support-tablets/) as they worked well for us.

Travis

Plus she started to refuse to take them and it became a daily hassle to try and get them down her throat”

Our GSP Abby, could hear that pill bottle being opened several rooms away and would go hide.  We ended up just opening her mouth and putting it in the back of her throat.  If you didn’t get it far enough in she would spit it out like an old timer with chew in.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:06 AM, airmedic1 said:

Plus she started to refuse to take them and it became a daily hassle to try and get them down her throat”

Our GSP Abby, could hear that pill bottle being opened several rooms away and would go hide.  We ended up just opening her mouth and putting it in the back of her throat.  If you didn’t get it far enough in she would spit it out like an old timer with chew in.

Yeah ours was the same she run off and hide and start foaming at the mouth. The supplement we found came in capsule form but she had no problem just eating them out of her food bowl.