wild persimmon recipes?

boon hogganbeck

boon hogganbeck

Has anyone successfully made anything out of wild persimmons?  I found a big stand of them behind an abandoned Sears... LOL.  Just a few getting ripe yet. I thought they were paw paws at first.

The only recipe I know is what I learned from my dad.  Squeeze the fruit into your mouth as best you can, throw away the skin, and then spit out the seed(s).  When quail hunting with my dad, if a wild persimmon tree with ripe fruit was came upon, you could expect the hunt to pause for a minute or more.  

If I could find a tree or two locally, I'd transplant them to my back yard, just for my dad's memory. 

Oh by the way, they are also good stuffed into a baked possum, especially if baked with the head attached, place one in its mouth.  

Anyway, good luck.   

20 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

If you haven't done it before, just for funsies, eat one that isn't quite ripe.  A unique experience.

That'll put a pucker on your puss!

boon hogganbeck
44 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

If you haven't done it before, just for funsies, eat one that isn't quite ripe.  A unique experience.

My grandpa pulled that trick on my dad ("it'll taste good!") 60 years ago, and he still remembers the taste... I'll wait for the first frost.

boon hogganbeck
22 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

The only recipe I know is what I learned from my dad.  Squeeze the fruit into your mouth as best you can, throw away the skin, and then spit out the seed(s).  When quail hunting with my dad, if a wild persimmon tree with ripe fruit was came upon, you could expect the hunt to pause for a minute or more.  

If I could find a tree or two locally, I'd transplant them to my back yard, just for my dad's memory. 

Oh by the way, they are also good stuffed into a baked possum, especially if baked with the head attached, place one in its mouth.  

Anyway, good luck.   

Well, if you'd like some seeds, let me know.  I'll probably go back & fetch some.  I already save paw paw seed & do cold stratification in the fridge; I'm going to try it out on persimmons & maybe start some trees next spring/summer.

When I was a kid my mother made what she called Persimmon Pudding. Like dark gooey bread tasting a lot like gingerbread. I loved it served with whipped cream. 

On 9/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Oowoo Cooter you've got a sadistic sense of humor !   I love choke cherries but even slightly unripe Persimmon is a whole new ballgame.  🤫