Frank and I, both in our 70s, walked our creaky old legs off yesterday looking for sharpies and found none. All the earth was sick and famished as the poem goes. Last night my Godson called that his 12 YO boy would like to try as he had never seen a sharpie up close. Last winter I gave him my Benelli Monty 20 and he shot school league with it and did well.

So we headed for the hills again today. Within a half hour of touchdown he had his 3 birds on 4 shots. He said several times on the way home that his schedule is open next weekend....

DSC_9235-001.JPG

I too know the joy and probably some elation you felt today.  All three of my sons were raised with an outdoor heritage and it has stuck in two of them pretty well.  Also in my 70's, I missed the fun of teaching a youngster the ways of upland hunting and handling a shotgun, so a few years ago I began mentoring a young man whose father is unable to take him out because of poor health.  I doubt he even knows that I am having just as much fun as he does.

9 minutes ago, Grey Dog said:

I too know the joy and probably some elation you felt today.  All three of my sons were raised with an outdoor heritage and it has stuck in two of them pretty well.  Also in my 70's, I missed the fun of teaching a youngster the ways of upland hunting and handling a shotgun, so a few years ago I began mentoring a young man whose father is unable to take him out because of poor health.  I doubt he even knows that I am having just as much fun as he does.

Yeah, it was cool. He had never seen a pointer in action before and I seldom do. So when Carly got a close point right in front of him he was excited. You could tell too that hunter ed and trap league gave him good gun safety skills. When he got his third bird he unloaded his shotgun. No party hunting, which I liked.

Nice job on getting him out and having a great day.  Just remind him it ain’t that easy usually.  

Fishnfowler

I'd rather watch my kids shoot one bird than get a thousand myself.  Congratulations to you and your Godson. 

Mike da Carpenter

What a wonderful picture.  I’d clear my schedule next weekend if I were you.

fourtrax57

Remo has a job now!!!

Great job by both you and the young'un.