How do they come up with the numbers?

I just read that hunters in Nebraska bagged 136,000 rooster pheasants last year.  This information was from the Nebraska Game and Parks.  I’ve been hunting in Nebraska for over 50 years and I don’t ever remember anyone asking about my pheasant harvest.  I’ve been asked about migratory bird harvest many times before but never pheasants or quail.  There is no requirement to send in wings except from very specific areas and I have never received a survey, where did they get that number?  SWAG?

Kansas Big Dog

Most states do an annual random survey for different species. Statistically, their surveys have a very high confidence level. I have been surveyed for deer and turkey harvest in KS and bird harvest in MT. These samples are easily conducted because they have all the potential samples (we hunter) info.

They put out 125,000 on public lands and guessed the rest?

Might just have to call and ask, they've been pretty good at answering my inquiries by directing me to the correct offices.

I think they have no clue, never been asked in over 40 years and 7 states hunted. 

The links below explains how it is done in NE and MN.  Hunted 3-times in Nebraska and recall receiving one email request for a survey.  Do not recall receiving a post card from MN in quite a while.

SD used to hit me up for harvest info pretty regularly as well.  Just have not hunted there since 2017.

In either case the possibility of my missing the email and/or post card is pretty high.  We all receive so many requests/information from so many sources it is easy to lose something like this in the noise

http://outdoornebraska.gov/huntersurvey/

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/research/smallgame/survey_2018.pdf

Kansas Big Dog
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I think they have no clue, never been asked in over 40 years and 7 states hunted. 

It is a random survey, most people may never be asked, while some get asked often. Have you heard of Survey Monkey. They do a lot of it.

they watch Facebook, Instagram & internet bulletin boards and, unless there's pictures for proof, take the "i shot this many" claims and divide that by 2.

Fishnfowler

I must be a sucker for responding to surveys as I get asked about upland harvests fairly frequently.  My kids have even been polled.  This has always been WA.  I think I've held an ID hunting license for 35 years off and on, and to my recollection, never was polled there. 

Dave Quindt
17 hours ago, airmedic1 said:

There is no requirement to send in wings except from very specific areas and I have never received a survey, where did they get that number?  SWAG?

Why don't you call them and ask?  I suspect there's a very nice person who has to compile all of this data and would love to talk to the general public about their methods. Ask them how often their methods are audited or go through peer review.  Now, they've almost certainly have some academic background in statistics so you might want to eat a double dose of Wheaties that morning so you can keep up. If you can't get the answers you are looking for you can always submit a FOIA request. I'm kidding....well, kind of.   

I can't speak to what Nebraska does but here's a link to the Wisconsin Wildlife Harvest Survey Results; 1930-2018. Everyone should take a look at this document IMO because it's a great example of what we should expect from every state DNR.  It was assembled by the WI DNR Office of Applied Science; professional scientists put this stuff together.  It's not the PR shop.  At least read the preface and scroll through the appendices; all of the sources of data are footnoted.   

https://p.widencdn.net/ucgsds/wildhar_sum

FWIW,

Dave