uplandnut30

There’s no doubt about it, bird numbers are way down.  Where there are birds, it’s worth your time to poke around that area.  If you aren’t seeing anything within an hour, pull up shop and move 15-20 min in a different direction.  Managed a limit of Huns and sharpies yesterday and just a limit of sharptail today.

5CDE719F-70E5-4891-A5CB-2E856048CC58.jpeg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennelli-banger

• uplandnut30

• Remo

• SetterTime

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hank the terrible had a pretty great weekend all things considered  especially thinking back to where he was last year He had some solid points and a couple nice retrieves worked nice Did have an issu

After day 2 my buddy and I were a bird shy; probably had 6 Huns?  Into day 3 now, we each have a grouse and I got a hun.  There’s enough birds to expect them in every field, but not enough to be surpr

There’s no doubt about it, bird numbers are way down.  Where there are birds, it’s worth your time to poke around that area.  If you aren’t seeing anything within an hour, pull up shop and move 15-20

Posted Images

If your doing that good I wouldn't say there way down. 

I saw some sharptails on the road but none hunting Ive hunted these spots for 20 years always see sharpies saw huns

Cover mowed and grazed

uplandnut30
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

If your doing that good I wouldn't say there way down. 

Normal year is a limit by 9-11am.  You’ll hunt all day for your birds this year…they’re down.

bennelli-banger

After day 2 my buddy and I were a bird shy; probably had 6 Huns?  Into day 3 now, we each have a grouse and I got a hun.  There’s enough birds to expect them in every field, but not enough to be surprised when you don’t contact any.   Overall, a great trip…dogs are healthy, temps aren’t too hot, shooting ok, not being bothered by work stuff…yet!  Good fun in the evening hangin with other hunters…grilling, sipping beverages, etc.👍☀️🍻

Hank the terrible had a pretty great weekend all things considered  especially thinking back to where he was last year He had some solid points and a couple nice retrieves worked nice Did have an issue with a stray cat at the campground but no skunks !

Electric posting wasn’t an issue I used onX maps  lots of stuff posted just like the last couple years the drought was tough on birds I didn't see one sharpie in places we always see them 2AA22C6C-C709-49CE-9C97-8D407DF07194.thumb.jpeg.d0a3289c03a197cc72e0b1090f67bd2b.jpeg

A rule of thumb is if the cows eat the snowberry leaves things are pretty tough. They got 'et.

bennelli-banger

We’ve hunted two pastures today; contacted a covey of sharps and Huns in the first one, and two decent sized coveys of sharps in the second, along with a small covey of Huns.  Tally is 4 grouse and 2 Huns today.   It was cool to see an additional covey of grouse flush out of a picked wheat field as we approached our 2nd pasture…a grand, beautiful sight!  About 20 grouse…

Hearing about these long range flushes, is that how it goes two weeks into the season? 

bennelli-banger
34 minutes ago, Quig said:

Hearing about these long range flushes, is that how it goes two weeks into the season? 

Depends…I don’t think you walk up to a covey every time early season…often the sentry busts you…cover type matters…wind matters…dog control matters…often a covey busts early but you can follow singles or pairs fairly effectively…

1 hour ago, Remo said:

A rule of thumb is if the cows eat the snowberry leaves things are pretty tough. They got 'et.

I flushed a covey of sharptails out of a standing cornfield this weekend, which I think was a first.

SetterTime

I was considering heading to the NW part of North Dakota to get my 6 1/2 month pup in some wild birds but seeing some mixed report. Being a newbie would i be wasting my time with a pup this age and bird numbers being down?   I would be heading up alone and would likely sleep in the truck or at a campground. Its around 1200 mile from home. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, SetterTime said:

I was considering heading to the NW part of North Dakota to get my 6 1/2 month pup in some wild birds but seeing some mixed report. Being a newbie would i be wasting my time with a pup this age and bird numbers being down?   I would be heading up alone and would likely sleep in the truck or at a campground. Its around 1200 mile from home. 

If you got the time and $ go see the prairie. 

bennelli-banger
27 minutes ago, SetterTime said:

God, go…talking to a guy here where we stay, his 4.5 month old drat had a day that he’ll never forget!  She pointed a covey 3 times til

he had his 3 birds…retrieved all 3 of them.   Go.

Mike da Carpenter

Dude, that’s the whole reason we have bird dogs…to get after birds.  If you didn’t want to hunt birds, why have a bird dog?  If you were looking for excuses to not go, they are endless.  If you are looking for reasons to go…you have a bird dog which will learn so much from every encounter with a wild bird that cannot be taught in the yard.  That will make your next year’s trip that much better for both of you.  I love hearing reports of places I intend to go, but I also don’t use those reports to make my decision.  If we wanted guaranteed results every time we did something, we wouldn’t pick being a bird hunter.  HA!!  Only guarantee is you will have a great time bonding with your dog and hunting wild birds while doing it.  My only other advice is don’t spend money you don’t have to go.