I’d go, keep in mind you have a young pup, don’t over work her, she’s still growing.

You have done some yard work with her?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennelli-banger

• uplandnut30

• Remo

• SetterTime

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hank the terrible had a pretty great weekend all things considered  especially thinking back to where he was last year He had some solid points and a couple nice retrieves worked nice Did have an issu

After day 2 my buddy and I were a bird shy; probably had 6 Huns?  Into day 3 now, we each have a grouse and I got a hun.  There’s enough birds to expect them in every field, but not enough to be surpr

There’s no doubt about it, bird numbers are way down.  Where there are birds, it’s worth your time to poke around that area.  If you aren’t seeing anything within an hour, pull up shop and move 15-20

Posted Images

Rethinking my post, you might want to ask this question in a training forum.  

1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

If you got the time and $ go see the prairie. 

Yesterday:

gkPc8EP.jpg

SetterTime
33 minutes ago, Quig said:

I’d go, keep in mind you have a young pup, don’t over work her, she’s still growing.

You have done some yard work with her?

Thanks Quig. Yep he has been to puppy training and been working him in the yard as well. I thought i would work him on a few short hunts a day to avoid overdoing it. 

SetterTime
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

If you got the time and $ go see the prairie. 

1 hour ago, bennelli-banger said:

God, go…talking to a guy here where we stay, his 4.5 month old drat had a day that he’ll never forget!  She pointed a covey 3 times til

he had his 3 birds…retrieved all 3 of them.   Go.

45 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Dude, that’s the whole reason we have bird dogs…to get after birds.  If you didn’t want to hunt birds, why have a bird dog?  If you were looking for excuses to not go, they are endless.  If you are looking for reasons to go…you have a bird dog which will learn so much from every encounter with a wild bird that cannot be taught in the yard.  That will make your next year’s trip that much better for both of you.  I love hearing reports of places I intend to go, but I also don’t use those reports to make my decision.  If we wanted guaranteed results every time we did something, we wouldn’t pick being a bird hunter.  HA!!  Only guarantee is you will have a great time bonding with your dog and hunting wild birds while doing it.  My only other advice is don’t spend money you don’t have to go.

Fair enough guys. I got the time an can ask the boss for more allowance this month 😜thanks for advice an encouragement. 

1 hour ago, SetterTime said:

I was considering heading to the NW part of North Dakota to get my 6 1/2 month pup in some wild birds but seeing some mixed report. Being a newbie would i be wasting my time with a pup this age and bird numbers being down?   I would be heading up alone and would likely sleep in the truck or at a campground. Its around 1200 mile from home. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Like the others said, go. A pup that age will be a blast to watch as it figures out the game. Take pics too.

Dave Quindt
1 hour ago, SetterTime said:

I was considering heading to the NW part of North Dakota to get my 6 1/2 month pup in some wild birds but seeing some mixed report. Being a newbie would i be wasting my time with a pup this age and bird numbers being down?   I would be heading up alone and would likely sleep in the truck or at a campground. Its around 1200 mile from home. 

There's always the Sandhills of Nebraska and the surrounding areas.  Chickens and sharpies.  400 miles shorter each way; which probably means 1 more day to hunt.

Just something to consider

uplandnut30
4 hours ago, SetterTime said:

Go!!!  The bird numbers are down but it’s relative.  There’s very few states on their best year that produce this many wild birds.

stomp around the prairie with your dog, burn some meat on the Coleman, and crack a few cold one while watching the sunset after a day on the prairie.

bennelli-banger

Day 4 in ND has almost concluded, hunting has been streaky but good overall…2 of us have averaged 5 grouse and about 3 Huns per day, I would say.   Most others are doing well, too…have chatted with many here at the lodging complex, and others at gas stations…some say best #’s they’ve seen ever!  One slough today we put up over 80 pheasants…

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, bennelli-banger said:

Day 4 in ND has almost concluded, hunting has been streaky but good overall…2 of us have averaged 5 grouse and about 3 Huns per day, I would say.   Most others are doing well, too…have chatted with many here at the lodging complex, and others at gas stations…some say best #’s they’ve seen ever!  One slough today we put up over 80 pheasants…

That’s living the good life right there.  One day, I’ll make it to ND.

If coming to ND I'd recommend getting a comb for a horse mane. The teeth are about 3/4 inch long and close together. Cut the handle off and carry in your vest for burrs because drought or not you will find burrs. If you hunt a long haired dog you will understand.

Untitled photo

Today was the third trip out and only saw 2 cock sharpies that gave no shot. A third one played the old trick of running over the hillcrest and flying off the back side. I've seen 1 other hunter in 3 days and the bird numbers in that area are probably why. Max had a good point on those cocks but they were moving cross wind and he pushed it too far. The second one he knocked to the ground and it flew out under him.

Untitled photo

bennelli-banger

My buddy with boundless energy is out exploring new places thanks to onyx.   He found another great spot, shot a bird, and decided to take a pano pic…great landscape!  We looked at it just now and discovered that there were 2 grouse up in the sky flying in to this ground, which he never noticed while taking the pic!  There are birds around…🥳

For the guys who are out, what percentage of your birds are young of the year. 

uplandnut30
13 minutes ago, Randy S said:

For the guys who are out, what percentage of your birds are young of the year. 

I didn’t shoot a single 2nd year bird out of my limit of birds.  The other guys in my party had maybe 2 or 3 2nd year birds between everyone.

5 hours ago, uplandnut30 said:

I didn’t shoot a single 2nd year bird out of my limit of birds.  The other guys in my party had maybe 2 or 3 2nd year birds between everyone.

Thanks, sounds encouraging! Guess I should have gone to ND. Nebraska was about as bad as I've ever seen it. 5x's the hunters and very few birds. Many guys took 3 days to kill their first and average seeing 3-4 a day. Makes no sense, they had good to very good weather since last winter. At least there were a lot of teal and doves.