Don Steese
On 9/14/2021 at 6:52 PM, Remo said:

If coming to ND I'd recommend getting a comb for a horse mane. The teeth are about 3/4 inch long and close together. Cut the handle off and carry in your vest for burrs because drought or not you will find burrs. If you hunt a long haired dog you will understand.

Untitled photo

Today was the third trip out and only saw 2 cock sharpies that gave no shot. A third one played the old trick of running over the hillcrest and flying off the back side. I've seen 1 other hunter in 3 days and the bird numbers in that area are probably why. Max had a good point on those cocks but they were moving cross wind and he pushed it too far. The second one he knocked to the ground and it flew out under him.

Untitled photo

I second the motion on the comb!

IMG_0423.thumb.JPG.37d5962fcbfad0109ec1d5a5cbfa8040.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennelli-banger

• uplandnut30

• Remo

• SetterTime

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hank the terrible had a pretty great weekend all things considered  especially thinking back to where he was last year He had some solid points and a couple nice retrieves worked nice Did have an issu

After day 2 my buddy and I were a bird shy; probably had 6 Huns?  Into day 3 now, we each have a grouse and I got a hun.  There’s enough birds to expect them in every field, but not enough to be surpr

There’s no doubt about it, bird numbers are way down.  Where there are birds, it’s worth your time to poke around that area.  If you aren’t seeing anything within an hour, pull up shop and move 15-20

Posted Images

Don Steese
On 9/13/2021 at 11:03 PM, uplandnut30 said:

Go!!!  The bird numbers are down but it’s relative.  There’s very few states on their best year that produce this many wild birds.

stomp around the prairie with your dog, burn some meat on the Coleman, and crack a few cold one while watching the sunset after a day on the prairie.

A sunset that'll look a lot like this.

IMG_0346.thumb.JPG.0c9c402f4331e32afc39999cb9c863e1.JPG

A friend of mine is hunting the east side of the Sandhills this weekend on private ground. I will see how he does.  My trip to the western side was a flop but it was on public ground.  I only saw one other hunter and he told me he hadn’t seen any grouse in two days of hunting.

2 Ugly Dogs

ND folks, I’ve been in northwest ND since Thursday, have found some pretty good PLOTS ground, but I’m running out. I’m trying to wrap my mind around this, if land isn’t physically or electronically posted I can walk around and hunt it as long as I stay 440 yards from buildings? It just sounds so crazy. 

uplandnut30
21 minutes ago, 2 Ugly Dogs said:

ND folks, I’ve been in northwest ND since Thursday, have found some pretty good PLOTS ground, but I’m running out. I’m trying to wrap my mind around this, if land isn’t physically or electronically posted I can walk around and hunt it as long as I stay 440 yards from buildings? It just sounds so crazy. 

Yes, the other exception, it can’t be planted or harvested fields.  If you see some ground that looks good, check the corners for posting and ONX for e-posting and hunt it.  I’ve only had one land owner ever ask me to leave his unposted land and he was very polite about it.

1 hour ago, 2 Ugly Dogs said:

Why would it sound crazy? That's the way the world should be.

16 hours ago, 2 Ugly Dogs said:

I just got back from Northwest North Dakota. Planned on hunting plots land but I noticed right away that it was getting hunted HARD. I seemed to find birds that would be more cooperative on private land that was unposted.

Kansas Big Dog
On 9/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, Quig said:

Hearing about these long range flushes, is that how it goes two weeks into the season? 

This is what I experienced where I hunt in east MT. These are old birds that have been shot at last year, they know how to play the game. In some areas I hunt, that is all there are as there wasn't a hatch at all. Then, you might have a couple young of the year. There's birds there to hunt, bring the shoe leather, and you will kill birds.

SetterTime
20 hours ago, uplandnut30 said:

Yes, the other exception, it can’t be planted or harvested fields.  If you see some ground that looks good, check the corners for posting and ONX for e-posting and hunt it.  I’ve only had one land owner ever ask me to leave his unposted land and he was very polite about it.

What about livestock?

bennelli-banger

Just wrapped up 12 days of hunting…3 in MT followed by 9 here in ND.   Overall, hunting was good….Huns were plentiful, as were grouse.   Seen some years with more grouse, many with less.   This was a good year that way.   Dogs are worn out, I’m feeling good, frankly…north of 300 lbs, feels like I March right up the hills…rarely stop for a breather….anyway, nice trip, some heat, but that’s OK…winter’s coming!   Probably averaged 2 grouse and a hun per day, some better, some worse…never felt pressure to hunt dawn to dusk, dogs wouldn’t have made it.   Many days had to wrap up by 10:30 or 11 am.    Nice to just chill, can’t at home!!!!🥳

2 Ugly Dogs

Thank you North Dakota, first trip here, won’t be my last. A lot of driving, just getting the lay of the land. Similar experience to benelli-banger, saw birds every walk. Shot my first 2 Huns today, so that was pretty awesome. Have the day tomorrow to hunt, then the drive home to SE WI on Tuesday. Overall great trip, and to echo the PMs of some of the FINE folks on here that got in touch with me, JUST GO!

21 hours ago, Remo said:

Why would it sound crazy? That's the way the world should be.

"This is America, we don't share land." -John Dutton, Yellowstone Ranch

uplandnut30
2 hours ago, SetterTime said:

What about livestock?

I don’t recall the exact rules, if I weren’t on my phone I’d link you the ND trespass laws.

I just avoid it all together.  If I see livestock I move down the road.  It’s one thing if it’s public land, because I have equal rights to be there and if a cow gets spooked and breaks a leg in a hole, well that’s the risk you take for grazing cattle on public land where you know hunting takes place.  If it’s private…well I’m not going to take any chances.

I generally avoid livestock regardless of where it’s located.  Nothing pisses the owners off more than dogs in their cattle and if anyone sees you there and the cows get out, it’s your fault regardless if you had anything to do with it or not.
I have ran into them in the Sandhills but I tend to bypass them as far away as possible.

bennelli-banger

Heard from a friend that a hunter from MN

got stomped by a cow last week in ND and suffered a broken leg…he called 911 and was rescued….