Report from the prairie

Josh and I arrived Friday night and Paul joined us last night.  Josh and I had a ton of contacts the first two days.  The older dogs put on a nice show and we bagged limits early in the day.  We put the guns away worked several first year dogs.  Lots of contacts and a few nice pieces of bird work mixed in with plenty of mistakes.  Day three was fewer contacts but a lot of great dog work even from the first year dogs.

Day four Paul joined us and it was a memorable day.  The first walk of the day Paul hunted the edge of wheat stubble and scored on a big covey of huns.  Josh and I went deep into a pasture on a walk we will remember for stellar bird work.  We no more than got out of the truck and Ruby’s alarm went off.  I was busy taking pictures and did not get any shooting but Josh took a bird. 

A few minutes later we walked over a hill to see this sight.  She had a covey of at least a dozen.

1420285400_Grace210914-1.thumb.JPG.643ed7125b6aab3f3fe9e4c67468f0d7.JPG

We went on to point 5 more coveys and several singles.  Perhaps the nicest find was a pair that Grace pointed off about 35 yards.  We could have taken a couple limits but we just passed on the chances after we had taken three.  It was a memorable 90 minutes.

The photo below was the second walk of the day.  Paul took Billy on his first run on the prairie.  He is an 11-month old male Setter.  Josh ran Bob, an 8 month old that had a few pieces of work the previous three days.  They had 7 perfect pieces of work between the two dogs in 1 hour.  Paul and Josh shot one bird out of each covey and had one miss to take a limit over these first year dogs.  Pretty great stuff.  I am so grateful to enjoy this kind of hunting with great friends.

1609045057_BillyBob210914-1e.thumb.JPG.97f8d3a3d47bf08e9b65dc198e2fbda1.JPG

Ruby on a single

1294049448_Ruby210914-2e.thumb.JPG.f4153a51fef0bbd4c04d71dd17f5cade.JPG

Nice tuff Scott!  But that's one funny lookin' shag in the first shot.  My 2 year old boy Angus (out of Maverick and Faith) did pretty darn well on the opener.  We're heading back to MT on Saturday for another week.

4 hours ago, sideby said:

Nice tuff Scott!  But that's one funny lookin' shag in the first shot.  My 2 year old boy Angus (out of Maverick and Faith) did pretty darn well on the opener.  We're heading back to MT on Saturday for another week.

I cut the hair under the ears and their tail before this trip every year.  Takes about 7 minutes per dog and no more problem with burrs.  I never understand when people say the don't get a Setter because of burrs.  The problem takes less than 10 minutes to solve.  This is a better pic of her.  Pretty normal looking.

697853898_Grace190426-1920.thumb.jpg.bf6935cf60f43ec86ca010bcf2720567.jpg