Dang tailgate bird pics . . .

RuffChaser
12 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Surprised the crap out of my wife one morning when she got up to make us breakfast.  I had taken the boys to a friend’s pig roast while she went out with her girlfriends.  I brought home the best part of the pig and never even considered telling her as it never crossed my mind.  I do now know what’s gonna happen next time…as she told me.  HA!!

14EBE390-07D3-49BD-BD03-AC8F74E256DE.thumb.jpeg.3c63ccf756a25ae890eeecc13e3ab516.jpeg

My brother always saved the head for a head toss contest at the end of the annual pig roast he used to have every year.  Some weren't impressed by the game.

I've been throwing uncleaned birds in the freezer since I lived in AK, if it's cool enough. They do keep for a long time that way. I pulled 3 uncleaned pheasant and a sharptail along with some dressed birds, from last year out of the freezer a few days ago to thaw in preparation for grinding and turning into breakfast sausage. My wife's comment was, if your not going to deal with them today, you might want to put them in the fridge to thaw overnight.

If we butchered a pig, my grandmother always wanted the head, for making headcheese. 

Runningdog

Being from no bird state Ohio, I keep my walleye night crawlers in fridge in brown paper bag!!!

My wife abhors death in the woods reminders and nothing speaks louder than dead game in the fridge.  The only time in 36 years she has used force and arms on my person was years ago.  I came home and had a limit of dove in a paper bag that I put in the fridge.  "What's that?"  "Left over sandwiches".  The next day she reached in the bag and grabbed a dove expecting a sandwich. I couldn't help but laugh when she started pounding me.  Gil

My wife and I have been married for 30 years.  She knows when hunting season is in to expect a plastic bag to have dead game birds in them.  I like aging my birds and it's never really cold enough to hang out side.  I do now have my personal fridge per my wife's request and I put all my birds in it.  I've never frozen birds whole before.  I'll have to give this a try.   

As far as traveling with birds.  I never hardly ever clean my birds.  I will take the inerds out but usually leave them whole unless I plan to eat some.  

1 hour ago, mccuha said:

My wife and I have been married for 30 years.  She knows when hunting season is in to expect a plastic bag to have dead game birds in them.  I like aging my birds and it's never really cold enough to hang out side.  I do now have my personal fridge per my wife's request and I put all my birds in it.  I've never frozen birds whole before.  I'll have to give this a try.   

As far as traveling with birds.  I never hardly ever clean my birds.  I will take the inerds out but usually leave them whole unless I plan to eat some.  

I think I read (or heard) somewhere that the French would dress their Woodcock and then hang them until the head fell off and then they were ready to eat.  Course I read somewhere that they ate the insides also.   PS.  I probably read this on Facebook, so I know its gotta be true. 

bennelli-banger

We put our birds untouched in the fridge, then travel with them in a cooler….never an issue.   During pheasant season, the untouched birds go on a piece of raised 4’ x 8’ plywood inside a garage…assuming it chills down enough at night, which it normally does.   Gutting birds may accomplish something, but it also has its drawbacks, like exposed meat that can dry out, fluids getting on meat, etc.  my approach works for me, if it resulted in loss I wouldn’t do it. I breast many of the upland species I hunt, and will filet meat off thighs as well.   I have frozen birds whole, or just left them outside in a cooler when returning from a winter hunt…thaw the birds in the garage and go from there.  Nature seems to provide a better ziplock than we’ve come up with!

I have a twist on freezing birds whole.  I don't gut woodcock and freeze them head, feet, wings, and feathers on with the added protection of vacuum bagging them.  The stronger digestive juices of quail are another matter.  I drop the guts on them as soon as possible.  Gil

The last of last season's birds, a pheasant, one of 8 that I brought back from PA.  The evening of the day of hunting I draw the innards, cut off the head and feet then place in a bag that goes in the fridge.  Once home they go in the utility room freezer.  Somewhere along the way I read that the best defense against burn was to freeze them in their feathers.

0915211230.jpg

With the birds in the freezer section above we have room below for other important items:

0915211231.jpg

3 hours ago, tut said:

I think I read (or heard) somewhere that the French would dress their Woodcock and then hang them until the head fell off and then they were ready to eat.  Course I read somewhere that they ate the insides also.   PS.  I probably read this on Facebook, so I know its gotta be true. 

In one of his books Rutledge said he hung his quail by the head in a cool corner of his porch, once the body fell from the head the birds was ready to be cooked.  I've always aged my ducks and I do that to most of my upland birds as well but never tried the hanging it by the head trick.