Copperhead Bite ?

My Setter female got bit by a copperhead Saturday afternoon on the snout. I turn my dogs out everyday for a run and while they were out she got bit. I was in the garage with the doors open loading shells and she came in and laid down on the cool concrete, they like to do that after they run a bit. I finished loading that box and sat down and rubbed her head a little and noticed that her face looked swollen, I first thought she had been stung by a bee but upon closer inspection I saw the two fang marks. I gave her some benadryl immediately and took her to the vet, she gave her a shot and some antibiotics and pain meds and sent her home. She is doing much better now, the swelling has really gone down, still not eating real good but eating some. I wonder how long I should rest her before running her again ?

Glenn

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1514.PNG

IMG_1518.jpg

Wishing best for her and thank goodness you saw the fang marks, and knew enough to get her to a vet.  And had the benadryl nearby.  

Those facial and neck bites can cause the swelling that close the throat and windpipe. looks like she is out of the woods on that part.

Sorry to hear about the bite, but it is always comforting and amazing to see how quickly a dog can pull through a copperhead bite. Having known a brit that was killed instantly by a diamondback, I've always been VERY frightened of dog vs snake encounters

5 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Glad it is going to be ok.  Just for my reference, how did you know copperhead?

In my area of North Carolina, there are only copperheads. In other areas of North Carolina you have Timber Rattlers, Eastern Diamondbacks, Pigmy Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, and Coral snakes. North Carolina has more venomous snake bites every year than any other state.

Glenn

Snake bites are not a good thing, obviously. Some snakes will not inject venom with every bite. I think that is why some dogs recover quickly and others do not.