Benelli M2 or SBE3

Mike da Carpenter

Mike da Carpenter

I had a moment of clarity and decided to get another Benelli since both my son’s have taken over my other Benelli M2 shotguns, both in 12 gauge. 

As you can see, I like the M2 (own 2 of them).  I’m reading up on the new SBE3 and wondering what y’all’s opinion are on the two.  I’ve never held, much less shot the SBE3.  I have no problem getting another M2 to keep for myself, but…

Anybody else ever own or shoot both and what is your thoughts on both?

I have no experience with the SBE3, but I had an SBE2 in 20ga years ago. I loved it dearly and it made me a 20ga shooter for life. I sold the 20 to buy a 12ga Super Vinci. I could only afford to own one shotgun and I made the right call for my usage, but I'll never own a pristine SBE2 20ga for what I bought and sold it for - $800 and $1000, respectively (got a pro-deal while working at Dick's Sporting Goods).

The primary difference I recall at the time between the M2 and SBE2 was shell length, at least in the 12ga config, which I imagine is what causes the longer receiver @mccuha mentions, but things may have changed with the SBE3. 

If the extra couple hundred bucks doesn't bother you, I'd go SBE3 for the marginal additional flexibility and the resale value, should you ever let it go. 

Own 3 Benelli's - SBE II, M2 and Ultralight.  For waterfowl, I would get an SBE, just for the 3.5" capability, if needed.  To me, they both shoot about the same.  

Mike da Carpenter
16 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Own 3 Benelli's - SBE II, M2 and Ultralight.  For waterfowl, I would get an SBE, just for the 3.5" capability, if needed.  To me, they both shoot about the same.  

The SBE3 shoots up to 3” 

7 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

The SBE3 shoots up to 3” 

The SBE 3 comes in 3.5"or 3" in 12ga.  The 20 ga is just 3"

Mike da Carpenter
7 minutes ago, WisconsinDave said:

The SBE 3 comes in 3.5"or 3" in 12ga.  The 20 ga is just 3"

Correct.  When I saw SBE, I immediately thought 3.5”, but that isn’t the case.  They make a 3” also.  Wondering out loud if they are making a switch away from the M2?  That’s why I’m leaning towards another M2.  They are great shotguns.  Guess I’ll go see if I can’t get my hands on them…if I can find anything in stock.

Mike da Carpenter

At the local gun store and I’m told the Benelli inventory is really low and expect 6 months before I can get my hands on either of the two I’m looking for.  Now to settle in something else, or do I wait?  Man do I hate these decisions.

image.thumb.jpg.be6c92c2c9d5e4f489a8c99c098a5ac1.jpg

3 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

At the local gun store and I’m told the Benelli inventory is really low and expect 6 months before I can get my hands on either of the two I’m looking for.  Now to settle in something else, or do I wait?  Man do I hate these decisions.

image.thumb.jpg.be6c92c2c9d5e4f489a8c99c098a5ac1.jpg

U left handed? I got A sbe2 I want To sell

14 hours ago, E.Young said:

I have no experience with the SBE3, but I had an SBE2 in 20ga years ago. I loved it dearly and it made me a 20ga shooter for life. I sold the 20 to buy a 12ga Super Vinci. I could only afford to own one shotgun and I made the right call for my usage, but I'll never own a pristine SBE2 20ga for what I bought and sold it for - $800 and $1000, respectively (got a pro-deal while working at Dick's Sporting Goods)

That surprised me.  Thought the recently introduced SBE 20ga the first of its genre.

Know I've an early HK SBE that's survived gun hell, but if I had it to do over, it would be an M1, simply because I found I'd not need of 3 1/2" capability, and the M1 feels even more alive in my hands.