Benelli M2 or SBE3

Mike da Carpenter

DennisMcFeely

I've never shot an SBE3 nor do I know anyone who owns one.  I have read a lot of internet criticism about it shooting high as compared to all the other Benellis but I am interested if anyone here has real world experience shooting this one and any thoughts they have.  

I bought a brand new SBE3 kind of on a whim, and because the deal felt to good to pass up. I do not love it, or even particularly like it. Its a soulless boring semi auto and ugly as a Benelli. Bleh.  Also, I do not shoot it well. I patterned it to see if it was shooting high, and with the shim kit I put in, it patterned fine, 60/40 or so. Still can't break clays with it, but I shot it fine on doves. It's the first 3.5" gun I've owned in a long time, thought maybe I'd shooot 3.5s at cranes if I ever get after them.  But I cared less about that than the BE.S.T. finish. 

7 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

That surprised me.  Thought the recently introduced SBE 20ga the first of its genre.

Know I've an early HK SBE that's survived gun hell, but if I had it to do over, it would be an M1, simply because I found I'd not need of 3 1/2" capability, and the M1 feels even more alive in my hands. 

Interesting. Hard to remember exactly, this was 2009 and I was in college.  Retail, I recall distinctly, was $1599 at the time and the pro-deal was 50% off. It was the most expensive thing I'd ever owned aside from a car. Could it have been an M2? Might make sense, I picked up an M2 at a shop maybe 5yrs ago and recall thinking it was identical to my old SBE. 

Mike da Carpenter
16 hours ago, RayB said:

Do you know an FFL? www.mackspw.com has both versions in stock

Benelli 10385 SBE 3 12 Ga 3 1/2" 28" - Optifade Marsh (mackspw.com)

Benelli 11006 M2 12 Ga 28" - Black (mackspw.com)

Love my M2

Thank you for the link.  I have a new M2 on the way.  

I originally went to Bass Pro Shop down the road to inquire about buying one online and having it shipped to the store.  Having never attempted to purchase a gun this way, I asked the gun counter clerk for some assistance and to walk me trough it.  The ONLY reply I got was “It’s a $50 charge just have it shipped to Bass Pro.  NEXT”.  Then he walked off to help the next guy in line.  

To say I was pi$$ed would be sugar coated.  I’ll just leave it at that.  I left the cart I was pushing with all the merchandise I had in it right there and headed to the exit door.  

On my way out, I called the gun store I was at last night and before I was in my truck they had walked me through the process and told me what I could expect.  Called MackPW on the drive home and finished my order as I pulled into the driveway.  

I know it has been said before, but BPS/Cabela’s customer service is in the toilet.

So, thanks again Ray for passing along the link to Mack’s.  Sadly, knowing how simple the procedure is now, I’m going to need a MUCH bigger safe.

Im out of the loop a little.  So tell me if they make the SBE in 12ga in both 3' and 3 1/2 " .  What's the difference in a m2 and a SBE 3".  I thought the only differnce in the SBE and the m2 was that the SBE came in 3 1/2" .  

Mike da Carpenter

Yes to the 3” OR 3.5” as in different chambering offerings.

Difference to me is about $300.  Difference to a lot of guys online is the Point Of Impact is high.  Bass Pro had the SBE3 in stock, but I thought back to why I already own 2 of the M2’s and figured “why change what already works?”.  And with the Customer Service issue I just ran into, never even opted to ask to handle the SBE3.  In essence that store representative just cost Bass Pro the sale of a Benelli.

The m2 and she are different designs not just different chamber lengths. I have 12 and 20 m2’s and 12 sbe2.  The top half of the receiver is part of the barrel on the sbe.  I’m not sure which is a better design but I prefer the m2.  FWIW, I bought an A400 and haven’t shot the sbe since.  If you don’t need a 3.5 in gun I would go m2.