Pigeon Bobs: The Best Design?

Outlaw's post got me to thinking about different types of bobs. I think mine are exactly like his which have too little side-to-side rigidity and can enable the more motivated pigeons to push/squeeze by them. I think that I've stopped that with some brads/nails near the bottom of the bobs to restrict their movement but if anyone has either purchased or homemade bobs that they'd share a photo of, I'd certainly like to see them.

The "trick" is not to give them a place to stand and flip the bobs up from the inside with their heads/necks:

IMG_0046a.thumb.jpg.d7ea7b869e5693ab6ad43395fb2c8fcc.jpg

Until I cut out the section of 2x4 at the bottom of mine's door, enterprising birds stood on it and messed with the bobs until they learned the trick, after which it was "monkey see, monkey do" for their pals.

4 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

The "trick" is not to give them a place to stand and flip the bobs up from the inside with their heads/necks:

IMG_0046a.thumb.jpg.d7ea7b869e5693ab6ad43395fb2c8fcc.jpg

Until I cut out the section of 2x4 at the bottom of mine's door, enterprising birds stood on it and messed with the bobs until they learned the trick, after which it was "monkey see, monkey do" for their pals.

I can definitely see how that would work, but do you have problems when starting to home young birds? I suppose you could temporarily place a board and then remove it after the birds are accustomed to going out.

I just prop a middle bar or maybe two up, and the older birds show the young ones how to get both out and back in through the gap.  (Been years since I opened all the bars for any reason, as seen above.)