Seems to be a banner year for Porky's.

Been following various bird hunting forums on FB and it appears the Porky contacts are through the ceiling this year whether its out west or in the upper Midwest.   I've been down that road twice and it was a road I don't care for.   For those who have had frequent contacts, are there areas that one should avoid?   PS.  Most of the Porky contacts I've had were in Maine, and it seems wet damn areas were where we had lots and lots of contacts.   Alder bogs were famous for Porky contacts. 

Porkies are like Woodcock. They are where you find them. I know you aren’t asking specifically about Maine. but I’ll have a better handle come this weekends opener and beyond. I would think avoidance training for dogs that habitually get quilled would make more sense than avoiding areas and randomly assassinating the critters. Easy for me to say since outside of one or two instances of dog curiosity my dogs avoid them. 

Hal Standish
43 minutes ago, tut said:

Been following various bird hunting forums on FB and it appears the Porky contacts are through the ceiling this year whether its out west or in the upper Midwest.   I've been down that road twice and it was a road I don't care for.   For those who have had frequent contacts, are there areas that one should avoid?   PS.  Most of the Porky contacts I've had were in Maine, and it seems wet damn areas were where we had lots and lots of contacts.   Alder bogs were famous for Porky contacts. 

Hey TUT your getting way to political on this Maine Porky problem..Michigan is loaded with them so please ab advise avoid the Mitten.

Hal

Opened here this weekend.  I only had an hour and a half opening day so I hunted a place that I was very familiar with and have never seen a porky in the past. I saw one and got Copper out before he did.  Copper listens fairly well and is a bit timid with other animals, so I've managed to spare him getting quilled in the past, but I am keeping an eye out for them this year.

In ND anyplace in the Missouri River drainage can have porkies. Basically the western half of the state.

I'm always amazed to find a porky out on the prairie miles and miles from the nearest tree or bush.

20 minutes ago, bigjohnsd said:

I'm always amazed to find a porky out on the prairie miles and miles from the nearest tree or bush.

Yup--I murdered one in the OK panhandle in the sandhills. The pups were acting weird, but luckily no contact. 

Stay out of the woods on a windy day. 1. Hard to hear the bell and 2. Porkies bail out of the trees.

greg jacobs

One of my dogs is a hater. He has killed the last two. Picture that.

22 minutes ago, greg jacobs said:

One of my dogs is a hater. He has killed the last two. Picture that.

Guessing Continental breed.  They seem to like to get it on with them.

PS.  Had a vet in Maine tell me that some dogs learn to leave them alone but some don't.  Think he told me he had one dog in several times as that dog loved to do battle with them.

As a dogless hunter I have no problem with them and I think I can count on one or two hands the times I have seen them in over 30 years of grouse hunting and most times they have been up a tree, they move so slow and are so obvious and oblivious I’m thoroughly surprised I haven’t seen so many more, interesting creatures for sure 

shoot-straight

Headed to Maine in mid October, already scouting where the vets are. My PP is destined to tangle with one. I had The chance to shoot one out of a tree in pa and do some training last year. I regret Not doing so. 

In Nebraska I find them in CRP fields without a tree for miles. 

FWIW, driving to Bear Lake, ID from N ID via I-90 to Butte and then I-15 south on Sunday, I saw multiple dead porkies along side or on the roads. The numbers seemed to be evenly spread between the heavily timbered areas and the plains areas, we drove through! 

Based on the road count in ID and MT, the numbers seem good this year!