Recap of Prairie hunt

bennelli-banger

Just returned from a 2 week trek, hunted 12 of those days; hunted 2 states; my take is that bird #’s are good, especially Huns, and that the cover is quite decent in the many places we were…a pleasant surprise! A variety of temps, but hunted at least 3 hours on the hot days.  Nice rhythm when I’m not trying to cram a whole fall of action into 3-4 days of hunting…not having that urgency was a treat.   Back up there soon, but the dogs need to recover…what a treat to watch that unbridled enthusiasm!!! 🤩

bennelli-banger

I stopped a few hours into my drive home and let them run on a plots piece I’ve hunted before…put 2 shells in my gun, walked the edge of the grass in my street shoes, grinning ear to ear watching the dogs work that grass, birdier than hell!!!  As I was getting lost mentally in that sight, a covey of 5 erupted 40 years behind me in the picked wheat…walked the 100 yards back to my van with a gun that was a few ounces lighter!!!  It was all perfect…I found the cover to be good, and contacted a covey in 5 minutes of goofing around…smiled for an hour😆

PartridgeCartridge

I like the taste of huns. Sharptails,  not so much. Pretty good numbers of huns in the central areas. It's amazing how they can hide in 4" wheat stubble. 

Don Steese
1 hour ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I like the taste of huns. Sharptails,  not so much. Pretty good numbers of huns in the central areas. It's amazing how they can hide in 4" wheat stubble. 

Sharptails have become my favorite game bird to eat. Properly prepared, there's nothing better! 

First double I ever had on Huns happened in the middle of a freshly plowed field! Maggie Muggins pointed, I looked, saw nary a feather until they exploded all around me! Those little birdies surely can hide!

Hal Standish
7 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

5 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Sharptails have become my favorite game bird to eat. Properly prepared, there's nothing better! 

First double I ever had on Huns happened in the middle of a freshly plowed field! Maggie Muggins pointed, I looked, saw nary a feather until they exploded all around me! Those little birdies surely can hide!

Two opposing views on Sharptails as being fit for the table I just happen to agree with PC I enjoy Huns. look at Sharptails as garden fertilizer. And I'm fairly handy in the kitchen or near the grill/smoker.

Hal

Sharptails are my favorite fowl. Done rare nothing can beat it.

I like Sharptails also. Simple procedures and preparations make them delicious. Same with ducks.

Idaho Chukar Hunter

Treat them like they are a good steak, marinade them and grill over a bbq.  Don’t overcook.  They are quite good!

Sharptail seared quickly in cast iron to med-rare is how Ive had it, it was delicious. 

I filtered rendered bacon fat for my buddies to take out west this year, to add to the skillet.  But I didn't have a chance to drop it off before they had to leave. 

For 30 years, the only two good recipes I had for sharps were fry, gravy and oven for 1hr. or fry, sour cream and onion soup, oven for 1hr. They were good but nothing like marinated and grilled. Had two groups of family over this summer and grilled sharptails. To a person they left claiming they had a new favorite meat. 

I have been making chicken fried steak out of the sharpies which is good but will have to try the marinate and grill approach.  What do you use to marinate?

2 hours ago, floodcity said:

What do you use to marinate?

I think everyone uses Italian or zesty Italian dressing. Some say a few hours, but I usually leave overnight and never noticed a difference. 

Sharpies for me = Chipotle & Lime Marinade with lots of cilantro.  Very hot grill to medium rare.