Who is planning to hunt Mearn's quail this season?

Interested to see what might come once the season starts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chukarman

• rcorley

• RobH

• Randy S

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am planning my first trip quail hunting the southwest from Wisconsin leaving after Christmas breakfast!! I am thinking about wall tenting my way around the region for 10 days. I know nothing, have z

Undecided.  Gambels looks really bad and there will be intense pressure on Mearns.  May hunt, may just enjoy the warm sun.

On my 2021-2022 Ariz Quail Reports page: Sept. 12 I wrote a "What to Expect" note for all three of our Az species. Sept. 23 reported on two scouting trips/hikes with the Britts. Just in

I’ve thought about making the drive down from PHX, if nothing else just to see the area around Douglas.  See if there is any good beer while I’m there.  How’s the hunting down there for the “dogless”?

Planning on heading down before Christmas to try and find some. You know, more than anyone, the conditions, so could be hit or miss again, but still great to get out and explore. Will be in your area. Just me and my setter, will keep an eye out for you!

I'll be heading down from Iowa. Hope to stop in OK for a few days then head to AZ. Try to get four species on the trip. Love the sky mountains.   

You bet. I plan to be somewhere in your neck of the woods in January with Mearns being the priority!

flyphish2day

I am planning my first trip quail hunting the southwest from Wisconsin leaving after Christmas breakfast!! I am thinking about wall tenting my way around the region for 10 days. I know nothing, have zero connections but it will be an adventure!

On 9/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, RobH said:

I’ve thought about making the drive down from PHX, if nothing else just to see the area around Douglas.  See if there is any good beer while I’m there.  How’s the hunting down there for the “dogless”?

Rob

Hunting Mearn's without a decent bird dog is very tough. Their unwilligness to show themselves, the cover they generally inhabit and their tendency to hold tight means that there are hard to locate and you often have to nearly step on them to get them to flush. You would have much better luck with Gambel's quail, I think.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:20 AM, flyphish2day said:

I am planning my first trip quail hunting the southwest from Wisconsin leaving after Christmas breakfast!! I am thinking about wall tenting my way around the region for 10 days. I know nothing, have zero connections but it will be an adventure!

I would encourage you in this adventure. If very near the border, you will need to be smart about where you camp, but a lot of people do cap out in the area, especially during deer season.

9 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Rob

Hunting Mearn's without a decent bird dog is very tough. Their unwilligness to show themselves, the cover they generally inhabit and their tendency to hold tight means that there are hard to locate and you often have to nearly step on them to get them to flush. You would have much better luck with Gambel's quail, I think.

Thank you for the tip.  

My wife’s family is from just on the other side of the fence in Agua Prieta.  Figured if I gotta be down there might as well do something I would rather do other than buy cheap Asthma meds.  

I’m coming from Wisconsin also and will be in the Phoenix area for the month of January and plan to hunt quail out there. 

I'am in AZ all winter and didn't go down last year to hunt Mearns .  May go this year as I'am only 250 miles away.

Don Steese
17 hours ago, Hammergun said:

I’m coming from Wisconsin also and will be in the Phoenix area for the month of January and plan to hunt quail out there. 

Anywhere around the Phoenix area you'll be hunting Gambles.