Who is planning to hunt Mearn's quail this season?

Excellent. Hope that you all do well. Please do not shoot small coveys of just a few birds.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chukarman

• rcorley

• RobH

• Randy S

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am planning my first trip quail hunting the southwest from Wisconsin leaving after Christmas breakfast!! I am thinking about wall tenting my way around the region for 10 days. I know nothing, have z

Undecided.  Gambels looks really bad and there will be intense pressure on Mearns.  May hunt, may just enjoy the warm sun.

On my 2021-2022 Ariz Quail Reports page: Sept. 12 I wrote a "What to Expect" note for all three of our Az species. Sept. 23 reported on two scouting trips/hikes with the Britts. Just in

marsingbob

Undecided.  Gambels looks really bad and there will be intense pressure on Mearns.  May hunt, may just enjoy the warm sun.

I don't think Gambel's will be down much if at all. It is still raining here and that helps all the quail. Cover will be heavier than most are used to, though.

I plan on hunting again.  This will be my 4th trip in 5 years.  May try for AZ chukar on my way down.  

Not many chukars here in AZ and they are located in some rough country... like almost all chukars 😀

You live in chukar heaven, too!

WyomingArt
On 9/25/2021 at 8:06 AM, Chukarman said:

If very near the border, you will need to be smart about where you camp,

This.  Be aware of where you leave your truck and what you leave in it. 

I'll be hunting mearns this year. You're right about having a pointer versus a flusher. With my flusher Trace, If I get one shot opportunity all day I consider it lucky. Of course the last few years the mearns hunting's been a little slow around (it's a secret).

Steve

flyphish2day
On 9/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Chukarman said:

I would encourage you in this adventure. If very near the border, you will need to be smart about where you camp, but a lot of people do cap out in the area, especially during deer season.

Thanks for the heads up. I had not really thought much about that and will definitely take that in to consideration as as I plan. 

4 hours ago, Chukarman said:

Not many chukars here in AZ and they are located in some rough country... like almost all chukars 😀

You live in chukar heaven, too!

I have a few chukar around where I live.  Fortunately a few have been taken, in different parts of the state.  

That said there is some history about AZ Chukar which has fascinated me.  Growing up and listening to stories by hunters at the AZ Hunting Dog Club trials (now AZPDC), chukar hunting was never mentioned.  Only a few dedicated hunters went after them.  Of those hunters who attempted, it was only done once.  This was something I had always wanted to do since my early twenties.  Now 50, With some baseline knowledge from Idaho, I hope to get out this year.  Perhaps see or hear one and no longer consider them a mythical bird of northern Arizona. 

Sounds like a worthy plan. Good luck with them.

Most of .my chukar hunting has been in NV, CA, OR, WA, or ID.

I hunted Mearns with a couple flushers a few years back. I averaged seeing a little better than 2 coveys a day. I could live with that again. Like most say, it could be really easy to shoot a covey down. I never took more than two per. While I'm all about smoking barrels at all the other birds, Mearns deserve restraint. 

On 9/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, Don Steese said:

Anywhere around the Phoenix area you'll be hunting Gambles. 

Yes I will be hunting outside of Phoenix while staying there but would like to make a trip down south for a day or so. 

Don Steese
2 hours ago, Hammergun said:

Yes I will be hunting outside of Phoenix while staying there but would like to make a trip down south for a day or so. 

I've been meaning to do that but the Means hunting hasn't been very good according to some of my friends and it's about a 250 mile trip.

On my 2021-2022 Ariz Quail Reports page:

Sept. 12 I wrote a "What to Expect" note for all three of our Az species.

Sept. 23 reported on two scouting trips/hikes with the Britts.

Just in case you're interested. . . . . I live in central Ariz.

Bob C., Globe, Az

Ariz Quail Hunting Camp

https://arizonaquailhuntingcamp.weebly.com/

Desert Wings
On 9/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, RobH said:

I’ve thought about making the drive down from PHX, if nothing else just to see the area around Douglas.  See if there is any good beer while I’m there.  How’s the hunting down there for the “dogless”?

If you have a couple of buddies it’s possible to cover some ground and flush them out in prime habitat.  I knew a guy who hunted them that way.  Probably not terribly effective, but once you start marking areas and flushes you can be as good as any dog without a nose!

While not nearly common as a Gambels sighting, I’ve seen plenty of Mearns crossing roads.