Home Alone

Curious to see how others have approached this in regards to leaving their pup home alone. I always grew up with rescue mutts and they were mostly pretty easy and quick to adapt to being home alone outside a crate (none of them ever were crated). My Draht will be about 9 months when he’s back home again from trainer. When we left him prior he’d get kenneled and we’d go do our thing. We live in a smallish apartment. He has some separation anxiety but it’s not a massive hurdle I think he’ll grow out of. Kind of gets into stuff, but I haven’t seen him be destructive yet and he had gotten better with sneaking stuff like socks.

I think it’s a combo of being my first dog living with my girl and a new breed that definitely needs more input than any other dog I’ve had. 

leave for short periods first and gradually extend?

leave plenty of toys?

or just accept he’ll be crated when we don’t supervise him 24/7?

Toys and Sox will end up a digestive tract obstruction and and expensive vet bill or worse a dead dog

dogs Aren’t kids they definitely don’t need toys he needs attention from you when you’re home and nothing in his crate when you aren’t 

Oh yeah we don’t leave anything in his crate and watch carefully how he chews his toys and anything else.

im thinking more on the lines of when he’s a bit older transitioning to having him be conditioned to stay in house alone not in the crate. 

Most of my dogs adapted to having a crate but not being crated at around age 2. One of my bloodhounds is an exception and will always be crated when unsupervised though she was the 5th of 5 dogs so had a different experience. My setter is crated now at 3 years but that is largely because he and another dog dont get along and my wife favors the other dog, I think he would be fine and is at my cabin. 

My Draht pup is 7 months old and it is crate every time we need to leave him solo. With a good exercise program in place I swear he enjoys the rest. Our DD pup is as calm and easy as they come for pups, but he’s a dope. You blink and he’s doing something you don’t want. He was shocked when we scolded him for grabbing my son’s shin guards and using them as a chewing treat. That took about 30 :seconds of no supervision.

Always in the crate or kennel.  You wouldn't believe what they can get into.  I've had labs before that were wonderfully well behaved house dogs, until you left.  Then total destruction.  One time I ran to the grocery store and left one sleeping on her bed.  I came home to a destroyed bed, chair, computer, tv, various remote controls, and 11 DVDs.  She even ate a shellacked piranha I bought in a mexican market.  All that from a 10 year old dog in 30 minutes.  My current pup would likely be dead before I made it out of the driveway from swallowing something inedible.  He can't even have a pad in his crate. 

Something else to consider is an outdoor kennel they can hang out in.        

One of my young pointers turned a new leather couch into something that looked like a bush hog was used to chop it up

when my wife saw that she was not happy, when I laughed looking at it she really wasn’t happy

sometimes you just have to see the humor in things to stay sane

When we moved here our furniture was loaded up in a big crate and for some reason the packing crew decided to stuff smaller items around the smaller couch including a torque converter at the very top.  ATF leached out and soaked that thing the full length.  MY WIFE WAS PISSED when she saw that, blamed me, then changed her tune a bit when it turned out it would not fit in our new living room and insurance paid the original purchase price.  A Neo-level dodging of that particular bullet although she never did find it funny.

She loves our dogs fully, babies them endlessly, and for the most part they have pretty quickly gotten over destroying things in their first year.  Pike, however, would eat cotton items when least expected, although rarely.  This included a pair of panties from one lady friend who babysat him and a bra from another.  We all laughed about that, but one day we got home from work and he was sitting in his crate looking at us instead of coming to greet.  We have always left a kennel door open for when the dogs just want to go there and hang out or hide, he was acting nervous this day.  I saw a string hanging out of his mouth and tugged on it, he gave a gagging noise.  Wife found out he'd eaten a skein of thread for a project she was working, I was on the phone to the vet.  When Pike had previously eaten a sock or similar he'd quit eating for a couple days then throw it back up.  Vet said the thread would likely unwind in his gut and have to be cut out, told us to pour hydrogen peroxide down his gullet and he'd throw up.  Wife was all for this, babying of the dogs had found its horizon in her needlework.  Even called the dog an SOB.  Very effective, results within a minute or so, but although that first treatment went pretty smooth Pike learned what the little brown bottle held and it was a challenge to get any down his throat in later instances. 

Mike Elliott

We have a "disposable couch" and it was well disposed one day. Have nailed a piece of carpet over it and its survived nearly another year

WB2GoHQ.jpg

Our dog have their own "room" which is shut off from rest of house when we are not there.

Everything in it is considered disposable

WaAjdfV.jpg

When we are home its different!!

Depends on the dog and breed. I always have started out crating as puppies as part of the house training and the usual methodology. Typically by as early as 7 months and never more than 8 months to a year my dogs had full run of the house without supervision. These are hybrid bench/field cross Springers who seem live to please with a strong On/Off switch. I’m not suggesting the OP or anyone feels this way but it seems that with this new Pet Parent… Fur Baby culture  we live in crating is considered cruel or something. If not abused it’s necessary and appropriate. IMO.