Worst WC opener ever

RuffChaser

I’ll elaborate tomorrow. Too tired, angry, and frustrated to write it up now. The dogs and I are fine but today was tough. If someone else were telling me what I’ve had to explain I’d laugh my ass off at me. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RuffChaser

• GLS

• john mcg

• Treerooster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rest of the story: So the day started out normal. It was nice and cool with a slight breeze in the morning and the sky was overcast. It was also duck opener. Not many grouse hunters out in my

So.  What's the big deal?  Could be worse you know.  Dee-troit Lions could be your home football team.

You’ll look back on this and laugh one day. Bird hunting stories told in camp don’t always involve dogs and birds. No harm no foul, you and your dogs made it out just fine.   I would say you

Posted Images

RuffChaser

The rest of the story:

So the day started out normal. It was nice and cool with a slight breeze in the morning and the sky was overcast. It was also duck opener. Not many grouse hunters out in my area. 

Hit a cover and moved a few birds, 4gr, 5wc. A few bumped birds and tight cover didn’t allow for shots at the pointed birds. Went to second, small cover, that usually holds a bird or two, nothing. 

Decided to try a nice spot I found last fall. It is WAY back. I call this cover the Christ o mighty cover because it’s way back in the Christ o mighties (something a friends dad say when he goes hunting with us). I haven’t even shown my hunting buddy this place yet. He didn’t go out this weekend due to some severe migraines.

I ran just Bentley. He did good, pointed what turned out to be a brood. I missed momma but hit one of the little ones. First grouse of the year, nice!! This is a younger cover, thick. Had two other points but I couldn’t get shots.

Now for the fun:

I return to the truck to find that I left the back passenger door open. I case my gun, take off my vest, get the keys out of my vest pocket, shut the door. Oh wait, did I grab my keys, NO. The door was locked when I shut it. Friday night I looked at my spare set and said. No, I won’t need them.

I contemplated smashing out a window but I knew there generally were a fair amount if ATV riders in the area. I decided to walk and hope to find one. An hour later, and three house knocks, later I found a guy looking for a place to park his truck/trailer to go riding. I

td him I had a place If I could borrow his phone. He graciously let me call my wife.

I knew she wouldn’t answer a call from a strange number, she didn’t, so I left a voicemail. I also texted her. She texted me back and I gave her some generic directions, this is an either one bar or no bar cell reception area. I had the GPS for the dogs and got a waypoint on my walk for help and texted it as well. The only problem is home is about 2.5 hours from here. 

The ATV offered to drive me back. We got close to halfway and he said, wow, your back her a long way. I told him it the road would get dicey further back so he turned around and I finished my walk. I left the dogs at the truck for all this. 

About 2 hours later I am almost back to the truck to wait for my savior. About 30 yards from the truck I see a grouse on the edge of the road. He fluttered a few yards. I was so disappointed, angry, etc. I chucked a rock at him, missed of course. I get back to the truck to find Bentley with a swollen face. He must have got bit or ate something. Everything is locked up. F&@$”@& fantastic. I get him out and look for an injury or bite marks. Nothing obvious.

3EB2AAD9-AE4A-4FF6-8FF7-317D48F89BDD.thumb.jpeg.b0798a77b79e923a7d0c20535a4cb52f.jpeg

The picture doesn’t do it justice. I feel terrible for the guy.

All my drinks, snacks, and gear are in the truck. I can’t even hunt. This might not be hell so it must be pergatory. Do you know how fun it is to keep three birds dogs to stick close by In prime grouse cover? I had the GPS collar bag with me and a tick comp so brushed out the dogs. Later I put up Bentley and Betty and walked Chip to kill time, found another brood of grouse. 

Finally after about 4 hours from calling the wife she arrived. She called my hunting buddy, Onstar, and the guy that let me use his phone to try and find me. As you can imagine she was relieved we were safe but not to happy otherwise.

Addison was with one of Peggy’s good friends that she WAS going to spend the day with. On the way home she met them for dinner and I went home to put stuff away and wallow in my stupidity. In nearly 40 years of hunting solo I’ve done some stupid shot but nothing this stupid.

This grouse better be the best tasting bird on the planet. BTW, I think I’m skipping next weekend. The forecast is for high temps which is just another reason.

You’ll look back on this and laugh one day. Bird hunting stories told in camp don’t always involve dogs and birds. No harm no foul, you and your dogs made it out just fine.

I would say you probably owe your wife a nice dinner out. I know that’s what I would do!

Good luck the rest of the season.

RuffChaser

Here’s the grouse. I didn’t even shoot a damn woodcock. 

6085A88E-5C5C-49A3-A7C0-11CA349A8488.thumb.jpeg.e038e23986d767fba8b556eb38b51ead.jpeg

RuffChaser
13 minutes ago, Millriver said:

You’ll look back on this and laugh one day. Bird hunting stories told in camp don’t always involve dogs and birds. No harm no foul, you and your dogs made it out just fine.

I would say you probably owe your wife a nice dinner out. I know that’s what I would do!

Good luck the rest of the season.

Thanks, more than one dinner.

Well the cover name was correct you just need to add "What did I just do" to the end of it 😁 

Not even kind of a worst WC opener! Moved 9 birds and bagged a grouse in full leaf up…. I think you are humble bragging here. The stuff with your truck is classic funny story material as soon as a week from now. In my eyes, you put up and bagged a bird AND have another good story for the campfire! That’s winning from my seat.

Tape a spare key to the  tongue of your boot inside the lacing with a small piece of duct tape you won’t leave without them

I probably won’t go hunting this year and haven’t been able to for several years because of untimely deaths and family emergency 

so quit whining lol it could be worse

Tough day for sure.  Over 15 years ago but got stuck on a two track in the sticks roughly 20 miles from Finland, MN on a Sunday.  Needless to say similar shenanigan's ensued.  Just kept telling myself how much worse it could have been had it happened an hour before dark instead of an hour before noon...

You are stressing me out! What a story. I feel sick to my stomach. 😳😊

Jim Vander

Wow thats a rough day! I had similar happen after an evening wood duck hunt, ended up breaking a window, mosquitoes were eating me alive. I now have 2 keys stashed on the truck at all times and carry one on my lanyard. My current truck has smart keys. I had conventional keys made that will open the doors, and keep a smart key hidden inside the truck. 

I think I would have chucked the rock 🪨 through the window.  Looks like a bee 🐝 sting on the dog. 

ScottGrush
30 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I think I would have chucked the rock 🪨 through the window.  Looks like a bee 🐝 sting on the dog. 

Been there done that and that's what I did but I had lost my keys and needed my phone inside to call for someone to bring me a spare set. Luckily, I was only an hour from home.