Worst WC opener ever

I locked my keys in the truck last year, cussed, and then remembered that my truck had a key pad lock on the driver’s door. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RuffChaser

• GLS

• john mcg

• Treerooster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rest of the story: So the day started out normal. It was nice and cool with a slight breeze in the morning and the sky was overcast. It was also duck opener. Not many grouse hunters out in my

So.  What's the big deal?  Could be worse you know.  Dee-troit Lions could be your home football team.

You’ll look back on this and laugh one day. Bird hunting stories told in camp don’t always involve dogs and birds. No harm no foul, you and your dogs made it out just fine.   I would say you

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jim Vander said:

Wow thats a rough day! I had similar happen after an evening wood duck hunt, ended up breaking a window, mosquitoes were eating me alive. I now have 2 keys stashed on the truck at all times and carry one on my lanyard. My current truck has smart keys. I had conventional keys made that will open the doors, and keep a smart key hidden inside the truck. 

THIS ^^^   Happened to me once close to home . What a PIA !!!   I hunt the logging roads of Northern Maine and seldom see anyone or anything all day . Even if I was able to call my wife , no cell service , there is no way she would ever find me . 

I am glad you got a bird . Give Bentley a rub for me . 

RC, your story has the wheels turning in my head about where to hide a spare key.  Years ago I had a similar story but it didn't quite devolve as miserable as yours.  I dropped my keys about 200 yards from where I parked.  It was only after the hunt that I realized it. I was miles from civilization.  It was only after guessing where I'd walked did I in the last moments of desperation find them in a rivercane thicket sitting in the leaf mold.  My new 4Runner has push button start but with an added feature that the fob can be switched off which prevents fob cloning by thieves.   I could hide the fob inside the truck but zip tie the dead battery key normally contained in the fob somewhere underneath the truck after encasing the key in a gorilla tape pouch of sorts.  Older generation keyless entry/start fobs would prevent locking the doors as they block attempts of locking the fob inside the vehicle unless the battery is removed.  In that instance holding it near the start button will allow the vehicle to read the inert chip inside the fob allowing it to start.  My Inreach Mini is a permanent fixture to my hunting vest which can text messages without regard to cellphone  reception.   Gil

Flashback to my buddy during Turkey season many many years ago.  Was getting out of his vehicle on an incline as I remember at daylight.  Heard a turkey gobble.  Grabbed his vest out of the front seat and hit the door lock button and slid out of the front seat.  As he was exiting the vehicle he hit the door lock button to lock the car knowing his keys were in his vest.  Got out and closed the door and remembered in his rush to get out that his turkey gun was in the back.  Reached for his keys in his vest and they weren't there.   Looked inside the cab and there they were on the passenger seat where they had fallen out of the vest.    Turkey gobbling his head off and no gun.  No option, he grabbed a rock and knocked out a window.   Reached in and unlocked the vehicle, grabbed his keys and went around to the back and grabbed his gun and headed out.   Never heard the turkey again that morning.  Window replacement over $200.   

PS.  Your story tells me to make sure I keep a spare key with me at all times.    Double PS.  Looks like a yellow jacket sting to me.   Little bastards. 

Many years ago, my keys were on a biner while hunting and the belt loop on my pants ripped. Didnt realize til back at the truck. Oops. Called Member Ted and he fetched keys at my house and brought them to me.

Thanks, Ted.

lol

So.  What's the big deal?  Could be worse you know.  Dee-troit Lions could be your home football team.

WindyHills
26 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Most years for Vikings fans (assume Ruffchaser is one) that's a good one. 

This year I'm not sure we won't be wishing the Vikes were the Lions...

The story is a good reminder for me to carry my spare.  I've done the same thing, albeit years ago and no so far away from people.  My key fobs have a spare right in them, makes it easy to slip that out and carry it. 

Agree looks a bee sting for the dog.  Carry some benadryl with, this year is a bad one for wasps and yellowjackets. 

4 minutes ago, WindyHills said:

Most years for Vikings fans (assume Ruffchaser is one) that's a good one. 

This year I'm not sure we won't be wishing the Vikes were the Lions...

The story is a good reminder for me to carry my spare.  I've done the same thing, albeit years ago and no so far away from people.  My key fobs have a spare right in them, makes it easy to slip that out and carry it. 

Agree looks a bee sting for the dog.  Carry some benadryl with, this year is a bad one for wasps and yellowjackets. 

Yup…benadryl in the kit. Good reminder for us all.

Treerooster

I've locked myself out a few times. Broke a window once too, and yeah it's a bit north of $200.

Spare entry key belongs on the vehicle for me. I'm not a one trick pony when it comes to hunting, or the outdoors so an extra key in my upland vest wouldn't work for my deer, waterfowl, turkey, fishing or even dove hunting.

I had a regular key made (not so expensive) and hide it on my truck in a good place that I really don't want to divulge publicly. A little thought and you can come up with a good place. Have an extra set of keys hidden in the truck also so I can start it in case I lose my keys in the woods somewhere.

I've done it.  I one time hiked several miles out of a backpack hunting camp in steep Colorado country so I could drive out to meet my wife for dinner and a few supplies.  I left my keys in camp and spares were inside the truck.  I managed to break into the truck without breaking anything.

Congrats on the grouse.  Hope the dog is doing better.

I’ve had a key stashed for years, I use it frequently it seems too, usually around the house not wanting to go get a key.

At the ball game the other night, I’m cold, wife is taking her nine hundredth picture I head  for the van with my knee scooter. Unlock the van with the stashed key, alarm goes off, I can’t stop it. Van uses a smart key to start, no ignition switch. Five minutes later she arrives. I draw a crowd.

I need to get my unused spar tire out from my 2003 Silverado before I need to use it. I also decided to shop for a battery jumper. One stout enough for a diesel is over $300. I hunt remote, and with the pictures coming from Greg, I’m wanting to be able to get myself out of a bind next year.

A guy could use a trailer for all the what if’s.

But like many are saying here, I think your bragging on good dog work, birds and a early season kill!;))

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

THIS ^^^   Happened to me once close to home . What a PIA !!!   I hunt the logging roads of Northern Maine and seldom see anyone or anything all day . Even if I was able to call my wife , no cell service , there is no way she would ever find me . 

I am glad you got a bird . Give Bentley a rub for me . 

thanks. Will do.

2 hours ago, tut said:

Flashback to my buddy during Turkey season many many years ago.  Was getting out of his vehicle on an incline as I remember at daylight.  Heard a turkey gobble.  Grabbed his vest out of the front seat and hit the door lock button and slid out of the front seat.  As he was exiting the vehicle he hit the door lock button to lock the car knowing his keys were in his vest.  Got out and closed the door and remembered in his rush to get out that his turkey gun was in the back.  Reached for his keys in his vest and they weren't there.   Looked inside the cab and there they were on the passenger seat where they had fallen out of the vest.    Turkey gobbling his head off and no gun.  No option, he grabbed a rock and knocked out a window.   Reached in and unlocked the vehicle, grabbed his keys and went around to the back and grabbed his gun and headed out.   Never heard the turkey again that morning.  Window replacement over $200.   

PS.  Your story tells me to make sure I keep a spare key with me at all times.    Double PS.  Looks like a yellow jacket sting to me.   Little bastards. 

That’s a great story. Reminds me. Back when turkey seasons first started with a lottery system in Maine, tags were worth their weight in gold. And the population was meager.  I went to a great deal of trouble locating gobblers for friends. I found some birds on a small local uninhabited island easily accessed via a man made causeway. It was a great secret location. The birds would sound off in the morning to the seagulls squawking.I went there the night before a hunt with a friend who had drawn a tag and I roosted a gobbler. Game on. Can’t remember if we met at my house or at the island. I do remember he withdrew his shotgun from its case that dark morning and realized he had forgotten the trigger lock key. He had a couple small kids and his wife insisted on the firearm locks. I didn’t have a shotgun with me and was basically guiding. That was a bummer, especially when we heard a Tom go off on its own. 

I had a flat spare key that came with my last truck, the ‘06 Tundra. I kept it in my wallet. I have two fat fobby keys with the 2017 Tacoma. Can’t carry a spare. I always worry about locking my keys inside. My wife did that more than once with her last Rogue and once with a work vehicle. She left it in driveway running to come back inside for something. Yup, keys locked inside with no spare. It idled for over an hour while we waited for a AAA guy to come and unlock it. Trust me I tried. 

ScenicRoute
4 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

The rest of the story:

So the day started out normal. It was nice and cool with a slight breeze in the morning and the sky was overcast. It was also duck opener. Not many grouse hunters out in my area. 

Hit a cover and moved a few birds, 4gr, 5wc. A few bumped birds and tight cover didn’t allow for shots at the pointed birds. Went to second, small cover, that usually holds a bird or two, nothing. 

Decided to try a nice spot I found last fall. It is WAY back. I call this cover the Christ o mighty cover because it’s way back in the Christ o mighties (something a friends dad say when he goes hunting with us). I haven’t even shown my hunting buddy this place yet. He didn’t go out this weekend due to some severe migraines.

I ran just Bentley. He did good, pointed what turned out to be a brood. I missed momma but hit one of the little ones. First grouse of the year, nice!! This is a younger cover, thick. Had two other points but I couldn’t get shots.

Now for the fun:

I return to the truck to find that I left the back passenger door open. I case my gun, take off my vest, get the keys out of my vest pocket, shut the door. Oh wait, did I grab my keys, NO. The door was locked when I shut it. Friday night I looked at my spare set and said. No, I won’t need them.

I contemplated smashing out a window but I knew there generally were a fair amount if ATV riders in the area. I decided to walk and hope to find one. An hour later, and three house knocks, later I found a guy looking for a place to park his truck/trailer to go riding. I

td him I had a place If I could borrow his phone. He graciously let me call my wife.

I knew she wouldn’t answer a call from a strange number, she didn’t, so I left a voicemail. I also texted her. She texted me back and I gave her some generic directions, this is an either one bar or no bar cell reception area. I had the GPS for the dogs and got a waypoint on my walk for help and texted it as well. The only problem is home is about 2.5 hours from here. 

The ATV offered to drive me back. We got close to halfway and he said, wow, your back her a long way. I told him it the road would get dicey further back so he turned around and I finished my walk. I left the dogs at the truck for all this. 

About 2 hours later I am almost back to the truck to wait for my savior. About 30 yards from the truck I see a grouse on the edge of the road. He fluttered a few yards. I was so disappointed, angry, etc. I chucked a rock at him, missed of course. I get back to the truck to find Bentley with a swollen face. He must have got bit or ate something. Everything is locked up. F&@$”@& fantastic. I get him out and look for an injury or bite marks. Nothing obvious.

3EB2AAD9-AE4A-4FF6-8FF7-317D48F89BDD.thumb.jpeg.b0798a77b79e923a7d0c20535a4cb52f.jpeg

The picture doesn’t do it justice. I feel terrible for the guy.

All my drinks, snacks, and gear are in the truck. I can’t even hunt. This might not be hell so it must be pergatory. Do you know how fun it is to keep three birds dogs to stick close by In prime grouse cover? I had the GPS collar bag with me and a tick comp so brushed out the dogs. Later I put up Bentley and Betty and walked Chip to kill time, found another brood of grouse. 

Finally after about 4 hours from calling the wife she arrived. She called my hunting buddy, Onstar, and the guy that let me use his phone to try and find me. As you can imagine she was relieved we were safe but not to happy otherwise.

Addison was with one of Peggy’s good friends that she WAS going to spend the day with. On the way home she met them for dinner and I went home to put stuff away and wallow in my stupidity. In nearly 40 years of hunting solo I’ve done some stupid shot but nothing this stupid.

This grouse better be the best tasting bird on the planet. BTW, I think I’m skipping next weekend. The forecast is for high temps which is just another reason.

You had onstar???